Custom Car Chronicle

Luke’s 35 Studebaker Dictator.

Home Forums CCC Forum Luke’s 35 Studebaker Dictator.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t either because: 1. There’s nothing wrong with the stock one and 2. No one would know the difference (wasted effort.) If the stock grille was butt ugly there may be a point, but not this time.

Agreed.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

James D
    Participant

x3

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Yep, agree too. As much as I love LaSalle grilles, nope.

Mitch

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Relax …. it was just fun and games at the end of a long hot humid day.

Shanahan
    Participant

I actually really dig the stock grille. But at the same time my custom side comes out and likes having a custom grille. I think it will look good either way, but if you use a different grille, definitely find something cool to put the Dictator grille in!

Torchie
    Participant

Love the stock grill.

Have you welded pot metal before Q, ?

I suspect so, but from my “For what It’s worth” file…

The old guy that taught me the body trade claimed that to weld pot metal you needed to find pot metal from the same car company, as every manufacturer had their own formula and they weren’t always compatible.

Watching to see how that works for you…..

Torchie

Tony
    Participant

you needed to find pot metal from the same car company, as every manufacturer had their own formula and they weren’t always compatible.

I have heard the same over the years. No personal experience, but I know ‘pot metal’ is not a specific or graded metal, so really it could be anything. Mostly zinc.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Yeah I have done it successfully in the past on Cadillac window frames . I used an oxy torch with a minute flame.  And puddled melted down door handles into the crack . But my experience was that you also need to puddle either side of the parent metal to become one. I’ll experiment some more prior . Was keen to know if these low temp rods fuse a strong bond.

Tony
    Participant

Was keen to know if these low temp rods fuse a strong bond.

Does the broken grille trim just sit there or is it subject to any twisting or movement with the rest of the surround and sheet metal?

Asking because the low temp rods are basically soldering, so there’s no fusing. In that case strength of the bond relates to being ‘adequate for the task.’ In a stress free environment it’s probably fine.

It also seems that following instructions to the letter is important.

My radio grille could probably benefit from the process, it’s currently chrome over pits. Not super bad, but once stripped it won’t be plate worthy without work.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Don’t know if it’s a yay or a nay…. but I  rolled up a mount for the 39 Cad taillight last night . It’s a bit incongruous. But maybe once dressed up and then patina painted it will soften . 99C74DB4-2E2B-4B63-9495-964A65B63B34I’ve made it in such a way that it bolts to the old holes. I think stalk taillights would suit better … but until I find some this will do.

Tony
    Participant

Bit chunky for the body style. IMHO

Quentin Hall
    Participant

B9652872-1C0A-45FB-9580-0DB4EF1822EFWell it’s been a crazy year and the last month has been full on. Haven’t touched the Packard, and keep walking past the  Studebaker. So I took a template off my Cadillac/ Packard fenderskirt and tweaked it a bit to suit the different guard shape and wheeled it up. Also found an IKEA ss $2 bowl that might make some cool hubcaps.

Looking for some tyres to give it some dignity.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

9B2ED6A9-4811-4271-B56F-500763B0D83C

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.