Custom Car Chronicle

Larry Pointer 1937 Chevy Brule

Home Forums CCC Forum Larry Pointer 1937 Chevy Brule

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Larry Pointer
    Participant

These panels then were fitted over the original Chevy hoods sides….devoid of those louvered bubbles…and a whole new look emerged.

DSCN7591

Trial fit of accent rods.

DSCN7596

Screen installed from the back side.

DSCN8012

The new hood side in paint.  Couldn’t wait to picture its dramatic change.

Oh, and those 3 fake louvers at the front of the Chevy hood molding?  Hammered those out, too.

DSCN8620

Hood sides now re-attached.

DSCN8622

Close-up of hood revealing the fade line where fake louvers once resided.

Although nothing radical, I believe these hood revisions have made the most dramatic change.

Tony
    Participant

Nice work Larry.

mark wojcik
    Participant

Good ideas, good execution, looks better than stock! you really know how to build a custom.

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Thank you, Tony and Mark.  The execution I’m afraid is perhaps “50/50”:  50 yards away and 50 mph OK.  But it’s been a kick.  So glad to have found the CCC and kindred spirits.  Each project brings a smile.  Thank you all.

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Brule Part 14

Rock On

Now about those carriage step carry-overs:  runningboards.  As profiles became lower, they became little more than shin skinners.  Hated them.

I point the finger at Rik Hoving for instigating a CCC forum on eliminated runningboards in early custom car builds.  Then, I saw that Vesters and Neirinck built Delahaye.

delahaye 1

The rocker panels of that recently restored garage find Delahaye were beautiful.

The closest to the look I could find is in the GM 1940-1941 larger cars.

41 Buick r3

The 40-41 Buick/Cadillac cars had similar rocker panels to that Delahaye.

Harley Earl’s Art and Color studios had been working on the runningboard dilemma from early on.  Even, for sure, during the 1936 period of my “GM concept coupe” imaginings.  Luckily, I found reproduction 40/41 Buick/Cad two-piece replacement rocker panels via the internet.

40-41 buick, cad 66 inches

The reproduction rocker panels were exactly what I could use.

I cut these panels to length, and with a bit of trimming they slipped right in place, over trimmed runningboard irons.

DSCN7993

The inner rocker in place.

DSCN7997

Side view of rockers in place; need for transition to fenders.  In the engine bay, the finned valve cover and side plate are visible.

DSCN8344

Out of focus pic or rocker attachment end plate.

They didn’t quite match up with the front and rear fenders though.  And I’d already painted those 36 Olds rear fenders.  Not to worry, I created a pair of “spats” to transition their profiles.

DSCN8345

The “spats”.

Up front, I later was able to weld similar adapter pieces onto the trailing inner edge of the fender.  Retainer nuts were welded into end plates on the rockers, to bolt them front and rear.

DSCN8153

Rough welded addition to bottom of front fender to match up to rocker profile.

DSCN8464

A bit ahead, a full fendered side view of the coupe with rocker panels.

Next would be the daunting task of slicing and dicing a full figured set of 1936 Olds front fenders onto my “GM concept coupe,” Brule.

Torchie
    Participant

Now you are talking”Custom.”

Love it.

Torchie

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Brule Part 15

That Full Figured Look

Sometime after getting the 36 Olds rear fenders, I happened across another ad on the internet. A pair of 36 Olds front fenders!  My suspicions were aroused:  they were the same oxidized red as my rear ones.  Looking more closely, suspicions confirmed:  it was the same traveling used parts man.  I purchased them, with final payment in a motel parklot in Pocatello, Idaho.  A slow learner, but I’m making progress.

Once sandblasted by Barry Wright (no more driveway sand storms…Oh, the lessons to learn), I could see the fenders were nearly pristine.  Tracing back to the Dust Bowl Oklahoma panhandle of the Great Depression era, you can only wonder the heartache that left that car behind in those Grapes of Wrath migrations to California’s promised land of fruits and nuts.

Alongside their 37 Chevy counterparts, I could see some tricky stitchery was in store.

DSCN8018 (1)

front view 36 Olds and 37 Chevy fenders.

DSCN8038 (1)

Top view in fender comparisons

Of primary concern, those Olds fenders were much longer.  The CCC forum came to my rescue.  The thread showing the process of adding 38 Cad front fenders to a 40s GM pickup gave me a pathway forward.

[CCC fender shortening e:  Key to shortening, was a trim line that saved the wheel opening intact.]

Cut lines were located crossways, top-dead-center, and around the wheel opening.

DSCN8051

Layout for cut lines.

I could see that retaining the Chevy catwalk would allow ease in re-attachment at the radiator shell and the body cowl at the tail of the fender.  Once the top-dead-center of the “loft” was located, I also traced how much material had to be removed to fit against the Chevy catwalk.

DSCN8037

Taped off areas set for surgery.

I began from the back, where the paired dimensions were most similar, with the Olds fender draped over, then screwed onto the Chevy pieces.

DSCN8078

Rear view of Olds fender trimmed and attached to the Chevy piece.

Then working forward, I carefully sliced the metal to snug up against the Chevy catwalk.

DSCN8059

Front view of trim line up the fender length.

By this time, I had realized the need to work with the Chevy fender securely mounted in place on the car.  (Learning by doing!)

DSCN8080 (1)

Loki, the neighborhood watch chairman

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Part 15 B

Then it was time to shorten the Olds fenders, working off that top-dead-center reference line.

DSCN8083 (1)

Front view of Olds fenders.

After cutting apart the Olds fender, I discovered I could overcome a “pigeon-toed” appearance by re-adjusting the angle across that centerline, as I slipped the fronts rearward in overlap.

DSCN8090 (1)

Cut free.

DSCN8098

First tack welds over the top.

DSCN8101

Final alignment, front view.

DSCN8156

Right fender, side view of tack welds.

DSCN8159

Left fender, tacked and propped in place.

Next would come the coupe’s facelift.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

The shape of those Olds fender look so fantastic on the car.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Tony
    Participant

Nice job with some pretty bulky wobbly shapes.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Nice work on the fenders.

Nice!  Thanks too for providing lots of visuals for those of us who need that sort of thing..!

I am thoroughly enjoying this build story Larry.

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Torchie
    Participant

Huge amount of work to get those fenders to look like they grew there.

Get ready  to hear all the”My Grand dad had one just like that” comments when you take her out. LOL

The sign of a well designed custom built car.

Torchie

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Brule Part 16

Finis

Brule, my 1936 GM concept coupe now was down to the last steps (if ever there is such a thing in customizing).  And it brings to mind that old saw, “First impressions are the lasting impressions.”

I had left the front cosmetics till last, with a pair of pie slice gaps up front between the Chevy catwalks and the Olds fenders.

DSCN8101

Gaps yet to be addressed.

Brule, the GM concept coupe!.  Hers had to be the face most memorable.  The essential European styling cues.  I kept looking at the image of that Vesters & Neirinck Delahaye derelict as those LBI boys first discovered it.

Brussels 2

There was something compelling about the face of this car.

I also had been taken with other Delahayes, and Talbot Lagos, and Alfa Romeos, in their forward appearance.

clive cussler gangloff bodied 1939 Bugatti 57C

Even the Gangloff bodied Bugatti of author Clive Cussler had that sporty look.

Driving lights!  Frenched-in driving lights.  Announcing, “This car is built for the race!”

My mimicry would call upon much more mundane parts from the shelf: 1947-1948 Ford park lights.  Frenched, within 4” pipe surrounds.

DSCN8116 (1)

Lighting components in construction.

DSCN8160

Awaiting lower patch panels for that flowing lower line.

So far, so good.  But the bottom line of the fenders at front still lacked….style.  Rik Hoving and Torchie were helpful in sorting out a flowing line that brought back the 36 Olds curves around the bumper iron openings, and inward to tie into the bottom of the grille shell.

I fashioned a pair of patch panels over a wooden buck, and welded them in.  The distinctive Chevy catwalk now fades downward into these additions.

DSCN8468

Creation of a patch panel.

DSCN8521

Patches fitting to the grille bottom.

Larry Pointer
    Participant

For that jaunty, devil-may-care European road racer look, a thin, airplane wing inspired, front bumper as was in vogue with the teardrop coupes of the era.  But for a deeper symbolic reason:  This Phoenix lifted me up, on her wings.

talbot lago front bumper d

Tear drop in flight.

DSCN8563

The minimalist bumper, built of ½” rod, plate stock and square tubing, then carefully sanded down smooth.  A later powdercoat finish gave her a summat chrome look.

DSCN8611

My final painting day.

DSCN8617

Front fenders painted, awaiting Pat Bentz to bring her to life.

So here she is, Mrs. Robinson’s lady’s car.  Our Phoenix risen.  Brule.

DSCN8673

Finally assembled and singing our praises in twice pipe harmony, BRULE.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.