Custom Car Chronicle

Joe Urritta's Barris-built 41 Ford. A contemporary Interpretation

Home Forums CCC Forum Joe Urritta's Barris-built 41 Ford. A contemporary Interpretation

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

In the August 1991 issue of Street Rodder magazine there was an very inspiring – at least to me- article done by Harry Bradley. The article was about a modern updated version of the Barris built Joe Urritta 1941 Ford sedan convertible.

The article showed some incredible sketches Harry did, including a nice front 3/4, side and rear 3/4 drawing of the original Barris created custom car.

I watched this article for hours, loved every bit about it. The car that Harry designed based on the original was very nice, and I was contemplating doing a model car based on it. But more a cross over between Harry’s redesign and the original car. But many other plans made sure I never got around to it.

Also mentioned in the article was that if you wanted to know more about his plans you could send in a check to Harry’s home address and you would get a 20 or so page booklet with all the plans, plus a analysis of the Joe Urritta Ford. I lived in the Netherlands, and at the time had no friends in the US, so there was no way I was going to get a copy of this booklet. Something I have always regretted.

Last week I was browsing the internet looking for something when I came across and message board where a guy posted some pages from this booklet… Amazing I was finally able to see hat this booklet was all about… and what I see it really great.
    I love the drawings Harry did on the original Urritta car and how it was built. As well as more sketches of the Tribute Ford which did not make it into the Street Rodder article.

You can see the Street Rodder article and the 1/1 car based on Harry’s designs on the Custom Car Photo Archive here

I hope one day I will find somebody who has a copy of this booklet and is willing to scan all the pages at a bit better resolution so we can see and read everything.
    So if any of you has this booklet, or know somebody who has it… please let us know.

Until then enjoy these photos from the Harry Bradley booklet on the Joe Urritta 1941 Ford and his tribute.

The photos come from the Motorburg.com forum

I think these are some really cool pages of this booklet showing how the real car was built at the Barris shop.I only wish they were a bit better in quality.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Bickford
    Participant

thanks for posting this Rik!! This is one of my all time favorite customs!!
    jason

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Three more text pages of the booklet with interesting little drawings of the Tribute Ford.

Cole
    Participant

This is a really cool car.

Do you have more pictures of the original, Rik?

Enjoy the distinction that is inherent in owning a customized car.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

This is a really cool car.

Do you have more pictures of the original, Rik?

Yes of course… there is a folder for the car on the Custom Car Photo Archive showing most of the published photos of the original Barris Kustoms creation. Check out the folder HERE

Stephen Gotz
    Participant

Those build sketches are brilliant

Justin Kudolla
    Participant

Harry Bradley was a real genius in the design department. I have always liked the Urritta car, it’s probably one the wildest Barris cars bar none, and that’s saying a lot!

Trend Books Custom Cars Annuals
    www.trendcustomcars.com

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Urritta had to of been owning Atlantic Blvd when he was cruising to the shop. Holyshit ! This car was so heavy !

KingKustoms
    Participant

One of my all-time favorites, too! I wonder what that car looked like in person…I bet it was really wild, especially for the time period. The proportions are so interesting to me, and I would love to clone the car some day as an exact copy. Harry Bradley’s illustrations are always a real treat, too! Thanks for sharing, Rik.

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

Renaud Zed Legardez
    Participant

very kool construction sketchs !

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Ken G. send us some larger scans of the Harry Bradley Designs he had in this collection of the Tribute Ford.

Thank you Ken.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Jeff Spence shared some photos of the ’41 Tribute being constructed at Rod Powell’s shop.

Jeff-Spence-Collection-09

Jeff-Spence-Collection-10

Jeff-Spence-Collection-11

Jeff-Spence-Collection-12

Jeff-Spence-Collection-13

Jeff-Spence-Collection-14

kustomland
    Participant

Rik , Just so you may be able to confirm , I am pretty sure that photo of the car with the orange and white 55 Chevrolet looks to be a photo taken at ROD POWELLS Shop in SALINAS CALIF …. It looks like the side of the shop with the tin wall and you cans see the start of the front office ……You can see the street…. Opp Rod Powells shop was a building that was used as  a brinks   armored safe, In the early 2000’s It was called ” CAL SUSPENSION ” And I worked at ” CAL SUSPENSION ” opp Rod Powell’s original shop.   F.Y.I..

KUSTOMLAND

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Correct Luke. I think all of the construction photo were taken at Rod Powell’s shop.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.