Custom Car Chronicle

Jim Skonzakes

Home Forums CCC Forum Jim Skonzakes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Torchie
    Participant

I just saw a post from VooDoo Larry that Jim Skonzakes has passed away.

Owner of the Golden Sahara  as well as the Grabowski  “Kookie T.

Another Custom Guy gone……RIP

Torchie

Tinwolf
    Participant

I saw the youtube flick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n72FLMtSs4U when Jim presented the fantastic Golden Sahara in its second version on stage in early sixties with a automatic engaged brake system and many other space age gadgets many decades ahead of its time I was very impressed . A true dreamcar in its day at par with the GM Motorama dreamcars , you will be remembered Jim Skonsakes for the imagination to create such icon dreamcar .

Rest in peace Jim !

Wolf

Quentin Hall
    Participant

He was a true hero and pioneer.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Jim passed away on November 29th, 2017, quite unexpectedly. Even though he had some health issues in the last couple of years and he just had some surgery from which he was recovering, we all expected he would be with us for a long time. He was in good spirits and looked forward to get back to his usual him doing many project and perusing multiple ideas at the same time. Always full of energy and inspiration.

Jim Street passed away in his sleep.

Sally, his widow, had asked not to spread the word about Jim’s passing, to give her time to grieve and to take all steps needed to start sorting out the collection of cars, boats and other things Jim had collected over the years, before the phone and door-bell would start ringing non-stop. I hope Sally has had enough time for all this now the word is out.

I have been in contact with Jim for 15 or so years, met him twice and spend countless of hours with him on the phone. We became good friends and he was extremely inspirational. It came as a total shock when a mutual friend mentioned he had passed away. He will be missed a lot, and I will do all I can to keep his legacy alive. Jim has done a lot for the Custom Car scene

Right now I’m completely floored with the flu, but as soon as I can I will be sharing more stories on Jim Skonzakes/street.

Rest in Piece Jim.

Jim Skonzakes around 1959

Jim-Street-1959-jim-skonzakes-Photo

Jim Street in 2012

Jim-Street-2012-Rik-Hoving-Photo

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

A fascinating fellow who was an influence in many aspects of motor sports including a huge interest in classic boats.

R.I.P.  Mr. Skonzakes.

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Torchie
    Participant

I hope my original post doesn’t cause undo grief for his family. I figured that since I saw Voo Doo Larry’s post  on FB it was common knowledge.

Peace and strength to his family.

Torchie

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Not at all Torchie, as you mentione, the word was already out on facebook.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.