Custom Car Chronicle

Ians new project.

Home Forums CCC Forum Ians new project.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 288 total)
  • Author
    Mild Mitch
    Participant

I love this stuff too. Like Tony said, just keep posting. This is going to be a fun build from the looks of things.

Mitch

Torchie
    Participant

Good save. With the piles of shit we work with here, maybe we should call it Masochistā€™s Custom Chronicle?

Tony.

My vote is that we start a international car club(Complete with plaques) and we call it the “Turd Polishers.”

Great to see you at another one Ian. And great to see another one that may have been left behind come to life again. Please keep posting. We all need the boost right now.

It seems we all have a little bit of Frank Buck in us. LOL

Your “Big mess. Big success” brother…

Torchie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    mark wojcik
    Participant

Looking forward to more progress pics!

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Thanks guys!

Quentin, the tar isn’t really on the top itself it is in all the channels above the door frames where the top, the drip rail and the door frame all come together and are spot welded. Pretty much impossible to reach with any type of scraper while in the car so I have to clean up each individual piece that I have cut out as it is the only way to get to it.

So I got someĀ  more done on the passenger side and have to take a step or two backwards on the drivers side.

I made the filler pieces required for the top of the window where it is short. It is two pieces like the original spot welded together an the flange. Once again I did all this on the bench for ease of work.

Outer piece:

20201211_142101

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Ian Gibbons.
    Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Inner:

20201211_143315

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

20201211_143333

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Pieces welded together and then tacked in place20201211_152321

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

At this point I felt I had a problem. Despite thinking I had matched everything up from the drivers side to the passenger side the passenger side looked bigger to me so I started doing some more measurements and it was about 3/8″- 1/2″ larger from about 2″ behind the door to the back of the window and I felt it looked better so thankfully having only tacked the drivers side together I went back and cut out the portion that was not matching, made a template (should have used my brain and done this the first time but kind of glad I didn’t), and I will have to go about remaking pieces and fitting it back together.Ā  Very happy I decided not to fully weld this side in before I tackled the passenger side and in the end I think the quarter windows will look better so it ended up being a good mistake.

20201211_154147

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Ian Gibbons.
    Mild Mitch
    Participant

Very nice work, nice save.

M

Torchie
    Participant

Looking good Ian.

I always just tack everything together and then double check before I fully weld.

Hell. Sometimes it’s hard enough to cut thru the tacks if I have to fix something. Let alone a full weld.

Torchie

Boy, a fella steps away for a couple of days – and Whammo, another interesting custom starts it’s life on CCC! Ā As others have said, good on you for rescuing the hulk before it was lost for good! Ā Be careful, or you will end up with more customs than you have space for! Ā That would be tragic.. Ā NOT!

I will follow this one as enthusiastically as your pickup build – great stuff!!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Haha Dave my wife thinks I am already there seeing as she has to park outside.

So got the pieces made an fitted up for the driver side. I also made up a little piece from a section that I cut out of the quarter window and used the shrinker stretcher to add some curve so I have a better radius on the back edge of the window. UnfortunatelyĀ  then the cold weather hit this weekend, -22c, and my heater in the garage decided it was going to start not workingĀ  properly so it may be a few days while I wait for the furnace guy to come out.20201213_115445

Torchie
    Participant

Looks great. Ian.

I hear you on the heat.

2 hours out in the shop with out any today and what’s left of the feeling in my hands….Left.

Time to buy some fuel for my salamander.

Keep at it, brother.

Torchie

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Looking good, Ian.Ā  Stay warm and safe!Ā  Snow coming down here in Montana, too.

I can relate on matching side-to-side.Ā  Greg Silvas came over one day and just mentioned, off-hand, the tips of the round rod on the Chevy coupe, left to right, were a fair bit different in taper under the trunk lid.Ā  Blast!Ā  So they were.Ā  Eagle eye!! Really glad he came over when he did, and I was able to correct it early on.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Well the furnace is working just enough to keep me from freezing to death lol so got a little bit done but seem to be heading in the wrong direction. šŸ™Ā  I wasn’t happy with how the new roof section was going to meet up with the new window section so out it came. Cut the hole a little bigger as well so things will flow better. I also welded in the curved piece for the rear of the window. Now to remake the roof panel.

20201214_142042

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 288 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.