Custom Car Chronicle

Ians new project.

Home Forums CCC Forum Ians new project.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 288 total)
  • Author
    Tony
    Participant

at some point I am going to have to make some decisions on whether I m fixing every single thing and this taking forever or making some concessions for time.

You are singing my song!

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Very nice work Ian. I’s difficult to stop when repairing an old butcher’s work.

Mitch

Torchie
    Participant

Very nice work Ian. I’s difficult to stop when repairing an old butcher’s work. Mitch

at some point I am going to have to make some decisions on whether I m fixing every single thing and this taking forever or making some concessions for time.

You are singing my song!

I believe that many of us have had the same thoughts Ian.

Keep at it…

Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Having been working on the bottom section I think I have made up my mind LOL. Slow and tedious doesn’t even begin to describe it. Lot’s of fun welding and planishing a 4 foot section on a low crown panel. 🙁

20210829_113245

Torchie
    Participant

Like!!!

Torchie.

Tony
    Participant

Slow and tedious doesn’t even begin to describe it. Lot’s of fun welding and planishing a 4 foot section on a low crown panel.

I feel your pain. Apparently, eventually, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Slow and tedious doesn’t even begin to describe it. Lot’s of fun welding and planishing a 4 foot section on a low crown panel.

I feel your pain. Apparently, eventually, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Haha I don’t even think I can see the tunnel yet.

Torchie
    Participant

This is the kind of tedious work that causes many a project to lie untouched for years.

Nothing to it but to do it.

Keep at it brother.

Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Slowly getting there. Have a bunch more metal finishing to do on it but I am not getting a lot of time to work on it so I am trying to sneak an hour or so in here and there. It’s awkward to access the back and the front at the same time. I have one spot that is right behind the inner door structure that goes up at an angle that I am fighting with. It’s a little low and it’s hard to get the leverage need to get it to come up.

20210831_155340

Torchie
    Participant

Looking good Ian!

Torchie

Tony
    Participant

Patience pays off.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Thanks guys. Well I think this is ab0ut as far as I am going to take it. The previous work is awful and there are massive gouge marks where the trimholes are filled. I hammered them out as well as I could and think I will just leave them where they are. I could literally spend about 30 hrs on this door but it’s just not worth it to me.

20210903_151607

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Ian Gibbons.
    Tony
    Participant

Fair enough. You need to know where to draw the line otherwise nothing ever gets finished. Sometimes it’s a matter of diminishing returns. Will it really be anymore than 5% better if you spend twice as much time on it?  It’s case by case, but in the end not really worth chasing tiny percentages when a few minutes of filler will solve all. 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Tony.
    Torchie
    Participant

Fair enough. You need to know where to draw the line otherwise nothing ever gets finished. Sometimes it’s a matter of diminishing returns. Will it really be anymore than 5% better if you spend twice as much time on it? It’s case by case, but in the end not really worth chasing tiny percentages when a few minutes of filler will solve all. 🙂

I agree with Tony.

I learned long ago the the chase for perfection is not only futile but it keeps you from moving forward. I never say something is good enough. I do however say that something is done.

Keep at it Ian.

Torchie

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Torchie.
    Mild Mitch
    Participant

Well put guys.

MM

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 288 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.