Custom Car Chronicle

Ians new project.

Home Forums CCC Forum Ians new project.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 288 total)
  • Author
    Larry Pointer
    Participant

Ian, the wonky gap between lower fender edge and rocker panel front edge was very noticeably “wonky” on the stock 49-51 Mercury models, as I recall.

Torchie
    Participant

That came out well.

^^^^^^As predicted. LOL^^^^

Greta job on the rocker skins, Ian.

As Larry pointed out. That area was most likely “wonky” from the factory.

Your Merc will be much better then it ever was in terms of gaps. Alinements and panel fitment. Ian.

Keep at it.

Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Thanks guys.

Well not surprisingly I had another issue rear its head. I knew the way the conversion had been done originally was shoddy at best so it wasn’t really a big surprise when I started cleaning paint off the lower edge of the quarter panel to find there was about half an inch of filler covering a butcher job of splicing the rear door in place. I have begrudgingly decided to leave the top the way it is and fix it will some sort of filler. Perhaps I will lead it when I do the other parts I intend to lead but the bottom had to be fixed in order to weld the lower quarter back in place. I didn’t take a picture before I cut it out but you can get an idea of what is going on above the belt line. The bottom section was even worse.

20210413_145257

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Patch tacked in place.

20210414_141756

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

And trial fitting a partially completed lower quarter patch.

20210414_162753

Torchie
    Participant

You will get it straightened out ,Ian.

Keep at it.

Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

This panel is taking forever to get fit properly but it is slowly coming along.

20210416_163635

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Working on welding in the quarter panel patches. I kind of screwed up and didn’t give my self as much room as I had thought on the forward seam. I should have moved it forward about 2″ so it was more accessible to metal finish. The horizontal seam is also taking some work. It’s a pretty flat panel, is tough to reach all the way across, has about a 5″ section that is not accessible from the back and forces me to planish it left handed which makes it an even bigger pain. I think I am going to have to enlist my wife to help out. I am sure she will love that.

20210419_162524

• This reply was modified 2 years, 12 months ago by Ian Gibbons.
    Tony
    Participant

I think I am going to have to enlist my wife to help out.

It must really be difficult to drive you to that kind of desperation!

Quentin Hall
    Participant

I would love to see how you begin that conversation.

“Honey?! You know how much I love you…..I think a bonding exercise could be beneficial for our relationship…..”

Torchie
    Participant

If your wife does help I would call that true love.

Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

LOL I haven’t resorted to using the wife yet but may still have to. Had to do some actual job work this week but got a little done.

The doors on this thing are as hacked up shitty wok as the rest of it so I thought I should get them sorted out before I installed the rockers. This was the sweet job the previous owner did at lengthening the doors.

20210426_132127 (1)

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

The bottoms are all rusted out and then filled with fiberglass resin.

20210426_132132

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

The flat section that extends from the door jamb was in better shape (less rust)on the original  jamb than on the tacked on one so I drilled the spots out of both and then cut the end off the original inner panel and moved it to the outside edge.  I then started making some filler pieces to go between the two. I also angled the indent part at the door up so I could get a straight shot between the two panels.

20210427_144049

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Filler pieces made and tacked in place.

20210503_152539

Now I have to fix all the other rust along the bottom. Not exactly sure how I am going to tackle that as I am not sue how much I will have to cut out.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 288 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.