Custom Car Chronicle

Grant's junk.

Home Forums CCC Forum Grant's junk.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Mild Mitch
    Participant

AMAZING AND INSPIRATIONAL INDEED!

Yeah, didn’t see the connection between the Sedan and Convert from the photos the other day either!

Beautifully executed craft Grant! I am inspired and made hopeful too. I have a ’40 Coupe that is in the same condition as your ’36. Since it is in such a state, I have planned to do a “Carson topped” ’40’s era convert  as well.

Collecting parts these days and hope to begin soon. You blow me away with your vision! Great work!

Mitch

Umm, er, ..yeah;  Holy shit is right!!  Thanks for answering my request for pics..  WOW!!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

GrantMaclean
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the really nice responses.

I was waiting for someone to get up me for cutting up a nice car.

We’ve had alot of rain here over the last couple of weeks and under the house tends to flood when it comes down heavy.

It’s very hard to get the motivation to work on cars when there is a layer of mud on the ground.

So I’ve decided to rip the down stairs wall out. Will make it easier to clean the area out when it floods and will also give me more space to build the cars. Hopefully make a little work shop out of it.

So the cars are on hold for the next couple of weeks.

Then the work on the merc will continue. Going to finish the chop and put the car up for sale I think. Then I’ll jump back onto the 41.

GrantMaclean
    Participant

AMAZING AND INSPIRATIONAL INDEED! Yeah, didn’t see the connection between the Sedan and Convert from the photos the other day either! Beautifully executed craft Grant! I am inspired and made hopeful too. I have a ’40 Coupe that is in the same condition as your ’36. Since it is in such a state, I have planned to do a “Carson topped” ’40’s era convert as well. Collecting parts these days and hope to begin soon. You blow me away with your vision! Great work! Mitch

I look forward to seeing you start on that 40! Good thing you’re starting with a coupe. Should save you some time!

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

Grant truly phenomenal craftsmanship! Such a beautiful ride with spot on proportions! So happy I could contribute to the build. Your vision is inspiring. What can I say… just damn amazing work!!

Respect tradition

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Can’t get enough of this one!  Grant it truly is inspirational to see, and learn, how you are transforming this Cinderella!

GrantMaclean
    Participant

Thanks again for the positive feedback. It really means a lot.

It’s been a nice couple of days here, nice blue sky but very hot. I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and take the 41 for a quick spin.

GetFileAttachment-45

GetFileAttachment-74

Here’s an image of the damage done by the flood water, yes that black stuff is mould.

GetFileAttachment-51

So out with the wall.

GetFileAttachment-75

Now I have somewhere to put the 36.

GetFileAttachment-41

GetFileAttachment-57

Sometimes it can be a real challenge working on this slope. Getting the 36 out of the back shed and into the downstairs area by myself was quite a mission. But I got there in the end.

GetFileAttachment-56

I couldn’t help myself, had to do a little mock up.

GetFileAttachment-43

Torchie
    Participant

Bummer about the flooding. We have had heavy rains for our area as well that has caused flooding for many.

Nice mock up on the 36 as well.:)

I have never given anyone a hard time when they have cut up a so-called “good car”. Not even when they have turned it into a turd. Your “new”convertible if far from being a turd. Keep cutting. LOL

Torchie.

GrantMaclean
    Participant

So I had a chance to work on the Mercury today. I re-evaluated the situation and came to the conclusion that the roof had to come back off.

The way it was attached at the A pillars was on the wrong angle, plus the previous owner had started to 3 window or hardtop or something this side. So it was best to just get rid of the thing, get the side windows where I want them and then l’ll have something to line the roof up with. I really wish I could have started with a virgin  car, but at least I know the next fat fender I chop it’ll be a walk in the park!

GetFileAttachment-61

GetFileAttachment-50

GetFileAttachment-80

Trying to piece together the pillars that were removed by the prevous owner. I took cardboard templates from the other side to make the windows the same shape.

GetFileAttachment-63

GetFileAttachment-64

GetFileAttachment-78

GetFileAttachment-59

The chop looks super hammered, which it is, but it looks out of proportion because the roof isn’t there. It’s no more chopped than the lopez or Marcia Campbell cars.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

See this is what separates an artist from the wanna bees. Not being afraid to start over.

Glad that you are back into it.

Tony
    Participant

Jesus, I’m scared just watching! But I have faith:)

I really wish I could have started with a virgin  car,

Tell me about it.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Amazing…. I have always thought that chopping a top the way you do it makes perfect sense. Getting the side window the perfect shape first, then let the top flow with the windows and the rest of the body.

Beautiful rear quarter window shape.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Ah yes, those window openings look spot on.  That quarter window is the one to get right and yours look right to me!  Cool that you are willing to re-do the stuff you are not happy with – nice work!

Dave

p.s.  curious how tall that door window opening is..?

Jus' creepin' along..

Mild Mitch
    Participant

YES! Great work there. New beginnings, haha.

I agree with Rik and Dave. You nailed that chop. looking forward to updates…

Mitch

James D
    Participant

I like it, but i always think that the door tops pn these cars – and especially the long door coupes – look very flat across the top of the door window. Would it be possible to add a little more curve there?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.