Custom Car Chronicle

GOLDEN SAHARA II Restoration

Home Forums CCC Forum GOLDEN SAHARA II Restoration

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I did ask the people at the Speak Easy shop if they could check out the paint on the Golden Sahara for me. VooDoo Larry had claimed the GS was painted gold shortly before being stored in the 1970’s and that the car is now wearing gold paint.

I always felt that that was not the case, and the gold color was nothing more than the clear going bad. Jim Street had never ever mentioned anything about painting the car gold, he only mentioned about a 100 times how they painted the car with the special pearl paint.

Here is the answer I got back from Speak Easy

“Definitely a burnt/faded clear, just 1 quick pass with the DA and the gold color goes away. That same clear is on a lot of the former gold plating which is why it lost all of the shine and color. I actually believe that the ground fish scales that were in the clear may have decomposed and helped cause the gold color.”

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Torchie
    Participant

If indeed they did use fish scales in the paint I would have expected it to decompose eventually. The scales being an organic material. I would have expected it to be some what”Chalky” as well.

Let’s hope that the GSII gets the restoration it deserves and that someday we can all enjoy the documentary.

Torchie

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

From SpeakEasy Customs

“SpeakEasy Customs owner Gregory Alonzo posing with the Sahara just before work began last week. A documentary is being filmed about the restoration so I can not share much right now, but she is all naked! Whole car is bare metal and body work has started!”

speakeasycustoms_43818040_336561860224550_8830087433499950110_n

Thanks for the regular updates.  This is a gigantic restoration project I’m happy to see progressing!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

From Speak Easy Customs

“So apparently in 1962 the Golden Sahara II was taken to Akron for a visit with executives at Goodyear Tire, these are just a sample of the pictures that my friend at Goodyear found, there will be so much more to come about the connection Goodyear had with the Golden Sahara II.”

speakeasycustoms_43686033_249885472348889_350704647701517303_n

speakeasycustoms_43985707_348555922575884_260837261842138797_n

speakeasycustoms_43914465_2239254936346425_5816249029354287159_n

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

From Speak Easy Customs

“We are so excited about the progress with the Golden Sahara II. More work has been added to the project by Mr Klairmont, like redoing the trunk, undercarriage, wiring and more. But we also have an extra few weeks to get it all done. We can’t wait until we can share it all with you!”

Golden-Sahara-Moon

Torchie
    Participant

I can only imagine what it’s going to be like to rewire that Car.LOL

Torchie

James D
    Participant

Wow…done already!

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Less than 5 months to do a full restoration on a car of this magnitude?

Torchie
    Participant

That seems to be the burning question Ian….

My 2 cents on the whole thing.

Without knowing the extent to which they went but thinking it was mainly cosmetic and possibly wiring…… It could be done in that time if they concentrated on it. Hell. On those TV shows they would have built an entire car like this in one episode WITH commercials.LOL

All has yet to be revealed.

Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

That seems to be the burning question Ian…. My 2 cents on the whole thing. Without knowing the extent to which they went but thinking it was mainly cosmetic and possibly wiring…… It could be done in that time if they concentrated on it. Hell. On those TV shows they would have built an entire car like this in one episode WITH commercials.LOL All has yet to be revealed. Torchie

Yeah that’s my thinking as well and if that’s the case it’s kind of disappointing.I went back to the feature article that Rik posted and there were a bunch of comments I hadn’t seen before and reading between the lines it sounds like it is quite possible that is what was asked for.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Perhaps we should just wait untill the car debuts and more info and photos will be shared.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

9478B402-0779-4FE6-9226-F8D8A2F509A0Another sneak peek, this time shared by the Klsirmont Museum.

Mark Spooner
    Participant

Cant wait to see more!, both pics above show more shape detail than Ive seen before

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

From Klairmont Kollections

In the car world, there is a lot of pride that goes into restoring a classic car. We would like to say that it also takes teamwork. We are excited to have worked with Goodyear, Speakeasy Customs & Classics and Danrr Auto Body Inc. to get the Golden Sahara II ready for its’ resurrection. More to come…She arrived a bit tired…but woke up nicely!

Pre-Restoration

Golden-Sahara-SpeakEasyCustoms-larger

Golden-Sahara-SpeakEasyCustoms-larger2

53089515_1119276824918865_596188271533359104_o

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.