Home Forums CCC Forum front suspension lowering

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Phil Lassiter
    Participant

I am seeking the most general information,not specific to any car I might be thinking of buying, but lets assume a car with double A control arm front suspension. What are some possible problems with tires or front end components not having sufficient clearance,therefore rubbing or  making the car unsafe to drive. Assume a 3-4 inch lowering in front? If you give me some possibilities, then I can do more research myself.

Tony
    Participant

1. Your question is so vague it is impossible to respond, except to say,

2. If you lower the front of your car so much the tires interfere with the wheel arches, your steering turning circle will be affected accordingly.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Tony.
    Phil Lassiter
    Participant

Thanks, I tried to make it clear that I was just asking for possibilities. I have received from other sources about five possibilities. But the information you gave me was new and very helpful.I can research the issues that may or may not affect me sometime.

Tinwolf
    Participant

I agree with Tony , to vague , so let me be general in my answer , lowering your car will always create issues , if we are talking about trad customs as the forum is created for we are making cars that look cool , not in particular practical and no racing will take place a lowering of the front of 3-4 inches will mess with the steering and suspending geometry .  problems as you talked about like rubbing needs to be handled , I hope we are talking bias white wall tires could reach the wheel opening edge or some other part of the chassi , you either have to put a steering stop to avoid that or not steer that much , lol . There is also bump steer issue , a “end of the world” experience usually result of worn chassi parts but can also be not getting the steering arms dropped so the steering gets affected as suspension travel . The remedy for that is dropped uprights and dropped steering arms which will leave the steering geometry in stock position during suspension travel . I have driven my -51 Merc since 1993 with only cut coils which should create bump steer problems and rubbing , I do have the standard size tires on now 710-15 which helps with the rubbing but I think mostly just getting use to the problem and drive accordingly helps 🙂 !! To lower the suspension in a speedboat fashion on a trad custom is part of the basic recipe , it will not result in a practical car by no means but cruising a custom is priceless and life changing so you have to take the good with the not so good !!

Wolf

1+
    Phil Lassiter
    Participant

Thanks. I know my question was vague but nevertheless your answer was very informative and helpful. I was just asking for possible issues that may or may not arise with any one specific car. Once I see some possible issues, I can do more research and learn how  problems can be avoided or work arounds done. Thanks again, very helpful.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

See the problem is that if everybody lowered their car then the mass of all those components being close to the ground changes the earths gravitational spin. That’s why the authorities try and crack down on that kind of that kind of behaviour. It leads to climate change and takes away children’s childhood’s.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Q, Truer words have never been spoken.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.