Custom Car Chronicle

Does anyone know any history of this car?

Home Forums CCC Forum Does anyone know any history of this car?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    James Cicciarelli
    Participant

A friend just purchased this old custom, he would like to know the it’s history.Eric1Eric2Eric3Eric4

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Hello James, Nice find of your friend.

In the early/mid 1950’s there were many cars modified like this one, Sedan bodies shortened to made into a two seater Sports Custom… A lot of them were started, but never finished, the one of your friend looks to be wel made, and it looks like it had been actually finished and enjoyed on the road. Most samples I have seen were less customised as this one, that looks to have been customer quite a bit besides being shortened. with its modified wheel openings, new grille and headlights.

I do not recall ever seeing this one before though.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Tinwolf
    Participant

I never seen it but it looks like alot of bodywork went into making it , is it sectioned . Is the top lift off or stationary ? Its most likely made of a 1951 Ford Victoria since thats the only -49-51 Ford with that rear window and bumpers and taillights are also 1951 Ford . Wheelwells looks like they took influence of late fifties early sixties even . The wheelwells remind me of something but I cant find it , I seached the Chrysler corp -55-60 lineup but could not find it , maybe someone knows where inspiration for these wheelwells comes from to futher figure when it was built ? Thanks for posting , very intersting to see old kustoms and sports customs are dragged out of long time storage !

Wolf

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

My guess is the wheel openings are inprired from the 1955-56 Oldsmobiles

Tinwolf
    Participant

Yes the wheelwells are surely influenced by -55-56 Olds so my guess is this sportscustom is probably build around mid fifties , it was not many years before it got completely outdated which would also explain the many unfinished sport customs possibly started as backyard projects , in this case with the large amount of work in a shortening of the frame / body , sectioning of the body and mating the top toghether it seem more likely being a professional bodyshop involved . what part of US was this sportscustom found ?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Tinwolf.
    David Conrad
    Participant

I sure hope someone restores it .

David Conrad
    Participant

Where has it been hiding. What part of the country is it in?

Tinwolf
    Participant

To hijack this thread with another elaborate kustom of unknown history :

1935 Studebaker Custom

1935 Studebaker custom

1935 Studebaker custom rear

James Cicciarelli
    Participant

Shorty's historyThis is the history of “Shorty” my friend has found so far.

James Cicciarelli
    Participant

Shorty at Detroit Autorama Basement.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    James Cicciarelli
    Participant

shorty at detroit 1

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Thank you, very cool.

WG
    Participant

Cool car , nice to read about its history !

Regarding the last couple of sentences ;

Definitely leave the exterior as is ,it looks cool as shown with the fresh tyres & caps , fix the floor etc properly & install nicely detailed flathead !

It’s only original once , a custom which has deteriorated badly like the Bob Fairman / Jimmy Summers ’36 Ford did , I’d lean more towards restoration ( which the current owner did nicely )

Also , there’s a lot of work to completely restore it , whereas a lot of enjoyment can be had with the car as it looks now & you’re keeping more of the actual work that was  done back in the day !

I’ve a 1957/58 Alken VW ,which was converted to electric by the Nic L Silver battery company in 1959. It still has its very cool original signwritten paint , but has a detailed chassis /floorpan & vintage speed look 1914cc VW dual carb motor ( electric power was long gone ), along with new Firestone WW on fresh painted rims. Bucket seats (like boat seats) still have original paint ,but white & black piping upholstery is new.

alkAlken Nic L Silver rear Apr 2022Alken Nic L Silver LHS  Apr 2022

KingKustoms
    Participant

Shorty is really neat! Any more up close pictures? How about the picture of it from the guy’s wallet, which I assume is of the car in the ’50s?

Very cool!

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.