Custom Car Chronicle

Customs in motion pictures

Home Forums CCC Forum Customs in motion pictures

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

A few days ago somebody posted a link to the great movie “A strange adventure” on another forum. It has a lot of scenes whith a wonderful Valley Customs Mercury in it and it is good fun to watch them drive it hard and going sideways on the dirt roads. There is also a pretty strange snow vehicle at the end of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTfhugA9M8c

The Phantom Corsair (Flying Wombat) was a star in the movie “Young in heart”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MmYMQFD-GM

A mild 41 Continental can be seen in the movie “Detour”

DETOUR

The Golden Sahara appears in the movie “Cinderfella”. I couldn’t find this movie on Youtube but it is available on other sites. I’m sure there are several more but these were the ones I could come up with here and now so if you know about other movies, please post. I think it is really amazing to watch these old customs out on yesterdays roads.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

What about the movie with the Lincoln Futura. We’ll it’s a factory custom. Can’t think of the name of the movie. But I saw it on TV a year ago. . .

Tony
    Participant

A punch in the face to the first person who mentions Rebel Without a Cause , Cobra or A.G.

Oops, that would be me. Damn! I am sick to death of those movie prop cars being worshiped, often by people new to the hobby who don’t know any better.

Oh well, now that’s out of the way, carry on.

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Very cool Quentin, the movie is “It started with a kiss” and a short version is available on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHMLqe5y7Ag

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Th Blue Danube was in the Twilight Zone.

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Thanks Ian, very nice. I’m just surprised they let the actor climb up on the roof for the fight.

And of course the “High School Confidential”

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

The 1945 MGM musical, “Anchors Aweigh” with Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, and Katherine Grayson has a beautiful cream yellow 1942 Lincoln Continental cabriolet. The car was on for just a few seconds, but I could tell it wasn’t stock.

The car was designed by Howard “Dutch” Darrin for his personal use.

It sold for $6200 on Ebay in 2008, pretty cheap for a custom Lincoln of that era. Especially with movie connections to Sinatra & Kelly. And ESPECIALLY having been built for “Dutch” Darrin, himself!

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

Look for an awful 1965 beach movie, called “Beach Ball.”

It features Bill Cushenbery’s The Silhouette in an action scene, and quite a few other show cars of the day at an indoor car show. I spotted the Barris Surf Woodie among others. And beneath the “Ford Custom Car Caravan” sign, and behind a potted palm tree, I think I spied the kandy green fender of Gene Winfield’s Ford Falcon, The Franciscan.

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

The Lincoln Futura, in its pre-Batmobile days, was in It Started With A Kiss with Debbie Reynolds.

The 1963 Barris Villa Riviera in white livery was featured in the James Darren movie, For Those Who Think Young.
    It was, however upstaged by a young Nancy Sinatra – hubba hubba! (I’m showing my age.)

Another Barris car, a ’65 Thunderbird featured in Marriage On the Rocks, with Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Deborah Kerr. In that same film, Nancy Sinatra drove the Barris Zebra Mustang.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Bill Cushenbery’s Silhouette can also be seen in this Wonderful World of Wheels documentary.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

mark wojcik
    Participant

Bikini Beach had the Silhouette, and Tommy Ivo’s 4 Nailheaded Dragster, as well as other great period hotrods. Running Wild had the Hirohata Merc and the Fred Rowe Merc. Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow had Tommy Ivo and some pretty cool cars.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Grease had “Greased Lightning” . . . . And Olivia Newton John in those tight black leather pants. . . . . (pant,pant) . . . Heck sorry for that. I just woke up in a cold sweat from my nightly Olivia dream. . . . You understand don’t ya guys???. . I’ll go back to sleep now. . . ” let’s get physical. . . Physical. I wanna get physical.physical. Oooohh let me hear ya body talk.ya body talk. . .

. . . Shoo bop. . . Shoo waddy. . . Waddy.. . .Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.!

Tony
    Participant

They were lycra.

I had to tell you that fact because you have caused me to see that Greased Lightning abomination in my head…and it hurts.

I lycra’d them too! ;D

Dave

p.s. This thread is terrific!

Jus' creepin' along..

Tony
    Participant

Saw Grease on TV again last night…pure co-incidence. Not a good film for cars, and all the high school kids look about 30, or more!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.