Custom Car Chronicle

Customs at Oakland

Home Forums CCC Forum Customs at Oakland

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

one minute move from an early 1950’s Oakland Roadster Show… always interesting to see some moving images from back then. Rarely we see Custom Cars in them. Most of these movies were made of Hot Rods.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Ron Brooks
    Participant

I love that film Rik ,it was taken at the 1955 show. Here are some still photos of the same cars. The twins were also the Trophy Queens at the show.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

I can’t fathom why fishtanks in Customs didn’t float everyones boat? Fins are in !!! Just easy go on the accelerator puddle and even easier on the brake puddle.

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

J.W.N. , Cruisin in a convertible custom is a blast , but the profile really suffers! Think bathtub. The other thing to consider is, it really is a job to take a Carson style top on and off of a car. I have a winch to lift mine off and then drive out from under it (they are very heavy!) Mine is off very rarely, if I can find a photo I will post it.

Ron,I respect all you share with us and everything you do to help and school us in this custom history so please don’t take this wrong. I completely disagree with you about Customs profiles suffering because of the padded top being off the car.I actually love the way a convertible custom looks .Yes I know they are very heavy and a pain in the ass.

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong,I do love the padded tops and the way they flowed but I just would of cruised more with the top off.

Ron Brooks
    Participant

J.W.N. No disrespect taken , its all good! I have always loved the uniqueness of a Carson, Gaylord or Hall top and even my Dad had one in High School, so I may be biased. Her is proof that I have taken my top off.

Here is my Pops Carson topped Ford in 1948

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Your Chevy looks very good without the top, actually like a completely different car, almost like it has been on a diet.
    But I do like it better with the top on, that just finishes the looks.

Your fathers 39 is amazing. I love the look of early customs. Black walls and white padded tops… PERFECT.

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Ron I personally think your car looks great with roof off.I think it has plenty of flow. Yes…..those roofs are very heavy to take off.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Im loving this thread and all of the pics and history. I was up reading some books last night and I wanted to clear a few things up if possible. So what was the first year of this show? I thought it was 1950 . Is there anything that shows the results or the class winners ? Im pretty sure this has been posted in the past but after reading some stuff last night im wanting to see it again.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

You are right Jeff. the first year of the (Oakland) National Roadster Show was 1950. They did do one show the previous year, but it was called Oakland Exotic Car Show. This was in 1949. Most of the car were exotics and sports cars.

A few of the cars from this 1949 show.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.