Custom Car Chronicle

Customs at Oakland

Home Forums CCC Forum Customs at Oakland

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Ron Brooks
    Participant

Rik and I both share a passion for the early Oakland Roadster Shows , Here are some photos from those early years.

Hot Rod magazine oct. 1949 ad for the new show.

The building where it all began.

An interior view from 1953

Some Customs from 1950

Tommy the Greek 1952

Customs from 1953

Interior shot showing the hanging name cards

Frank Livingston and Joe Bailon with their Custom De Elegance awards

Satans Angels pose in the Exposition parking lot after the 1957 show

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

RON!!!

That is great to see all those photos. Some stuff I had never seen before.
    What year was the photo taken with the hanging name cards. 1953?

Thanks for posting.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Ron Brooks
    Participant

RON!!!

That is great to see all those photos. Some stuff I had never seen before.<br>
    What year where the hanging name cards. 1953?

Thanks for posting.

Rik , The hanging cards are from the 1954 show , I don’t see them in any other photos.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

There are quite a few custom cars at the early Oakland Roadster show that I have not been able to identify.
    But one of them has been on my mind for as long as I first saw it in one of the Don Montgomery books.
    A 1940’s GM? convertible with wonderful full fade away fenders with 1948-49 rear fendersand a padded top.
    This photo is the only one I have been able to find showing a decent part of the car.

The only other photo that shows a very small portion of this car in the back was published in the 2012 Custom Car Annual Johnny Zaro article. The car parked in front of this convertible is Johnny Zaro’s 1941 Ford.

The photo below show a small portion of the windshield, hood and grille, but still does not show me enough to even positively id the make of it. (I think the main photo is part of a collage and that is why part of it is covered with another photo… unfortunately!

So… anybody out there with more unpublished photos from the 1951 Oakland Roadster show to help id this car?

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Ron…..thank you for sharing these fantastic photographs.I love looking at these early shows with these great customs.Really nice to see the Mario Buick in the show.

Chris Johnson
    Participant

These are really cool photos. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Here are some more rare early Roadster show custom car photos. These photos were used in a Hot Rod Mechanix article many years ago. We have tried to get in touch with the owner of the photos to see if we could possibly get some better scans of these great snapshots. We got in contact (with the help of my good friend David) but unfortunatly he was not willing to share the originals with us. So we have to do with these scans of the very small printed HRMx photos.

1936 Ford of Joseph Hocker.

Gil Ayala’s 1940 Mercury, listed as Richard J. Stickley’s Mercury. Richard had bought the car from Gil not to long before the show.

I think this is the only photo I have ever seen of Bob Roderiques 1941 Buick Convertible with padded top. Not sure what is going on with the thin white wall tires. They are possibly home made, never saw those before from this era.

And the last one of the article is Bill Taylor’s 1949 Chevy done by the Barris Shop.

Cousin Eric
    Participant

Love it man!
    – Hey just a side note but ever notice all the litter everywhere? Even on top of the corner barrels? Just my weird observations.

Ron Brooks
    Participant

Rik , those last pictures are great! I have those Hot Rod Mechanix magazines and did not realize those were in there.

Ron Brooks
    Participant

This gets pretty interesting ,I thought I recognized the 41 Buick from an old magazine so I went looking and in the Sept.1950 of Motor Trend I found the photo of an almost identical 1940 Chevy….. same car? Nope, and better yet it was in the same show with the Buick!

Entry #403

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I don’t know Ron. I think that is the same car. I have the Motor Trend magazine and did recognize the grille, but I guess the thin line white wall tires in the HRMx photo alway put me in the wrong direction.
    I think the info from the HRMx is wrong. I know these cars are both listed in the 1951 GNRS program… And the 405 is listed as Bob Rodrigues. But these cars look to much alike and have to many details alike that its hard to believe they they are not the same car.

Ron Brooks
    Participant

I don’t know Ron. I think that is the same car. I have the Motor Trend magazine and did recognize the grille, but I guess the thin line white wall tires in the HRMx photo alway put me in the wrong direction.<br>
    I think the info from the HRMx is wrong. I know these cars are both listed in the 1951 GNRS program… And the 405 is listed as Bob Rodrigues. But these cars look to much alike and have to many details alike that its hard to believe they they are not the same car.

I think it is really strange , but I don’t see the rear fins in the show photo and the magazine pre-dates the show?

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I think it is really strange , but I don’t see the rear fins in the show photo and the magazine pre-dates the show?

This is what I see.

Ron Brooks
    Participant

I’m still not sure, the fin looks to me to be the walking mans leg and I Don’t get the entry # discrepancy? But on the other hand its hard to believe there would 2 grills like that!

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I know what you are saying Ron… but perhaps you can take a look in the magazine (MAR APR 1988 HOT ROD MECHANIX). The original makes it look more like the fin than the scanned image.
    But then again its a very small printed photo.

I also do not understand the entry numbers. I guess Tex Smith who wrote the article used an original Roadster show program for credits on the photos.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.