Custom Car Chronicle

Custom / coachbuilt Jaguar XK120

Home Forums CCC Forum Custom / coachbuilt Jaguar XK120

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    WG
    Participant

Have been aware of the Pininfarina XK 120 for many years , recently some 1970s photos appeared on Hemmings , it was mildly customised in a gold bronze colour with 53/54 Chevrolet custom tail lights & funky nerf bars. Did it ever feature in the custom magazines back in the day ?

In those pre internet days , it would have looked like a heavily customised XK 120 ,which it was … but by a major Italian coachbuilder ! Supposedly built for Max Hoffman who brought it to the USA.

Ended up in poor condition with lots of pop rivetted patches…

Saw it in the metal at start of restoration a few years ago , the roof had even been cut off at some stage to make a convertible & then brazed back on. Lots of one-off parts were remade including bumpers , lights ,chrome trim etc.  Gorgeous back in its original colours .

It’s coming up for auction at Amelia Island soon , estimate around 1/2 what Hirohata Merc made !

pinin 120 1970spinin 120pinin 120 nowpinin120 now frtpinin 120 new pinin 120 resto

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Interesting.

I do not recall ever seeing this one before in any of the Custom Car magazines. But I do not have a complete collection, so I’m not sure.

Those “funky” taillights look to be inspired by the Valley Custom Shop created Ron Dunn sectioned 1949 Ford in its second iteration.

vc_15_750-vi

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

WG
    Participant

Interesting. I do not recall ever seeing this one before in any of the Custom Car magazines. But I do not have a complete collection, so I’m not sure. Those “funky” taillights look to be inspired by the Valley Custom Shop created Ron Dunn sectioned 1949 Ford in its second iteration.

Good spot ! Had forgotten about that car , definitely the XK120 borrowed the look & even the colour has a similar vibe. The XK photo is poor , but the tubing looks professionally formed , including the transverse tube beneath the trunk lid.

There are other photos of the car in nearly original form ,except for a factory XK 150 front bumper , which were taken in Boston in 1958. It had Mass ’57 licence plates.

KingKustoms
    Participant

Rik, you are so right about the tail light and rear nerf bar treatment matching the Ron Dunn Ford…which came first? It’s the classic chicken or the egg story  🙂

What a beautiful coach-built Jaguar!!!

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

WG
    Participant

Rik, you are so right about the tail light and rear nerf bar treatment matching the Ron Dunn Ford…which came first? It’s the classic chicken or the egg story 🙂 What a beautiful coach-built Jaguar!!!

It seems that the Ford was modified to its second form c. 1957 following an accident & the XK 120 was photographed in 1958 without the modifications , therefore it is definitely more likely that it copied the Valley Custom work. The Ford was featured in some magazines at the time , so probably inspired someone else to borrow the ideas !

1950 Ford – Ron Dunn – Valley Custom Shop (forumactif.org)

The XK sold for $942k including premium , cheap I think & less than 1/2 of the Hirohata Merc !   Had heard that $500/$600k was paid for it in very poor condition & 6725 hours were spent on it …

Alan
    Participant

The restoration is nice but the shape and size of the rear flare seems off. Also the rear bumper is missing the gentle sweep and taper to match the lower molding. Really beautiful car nonetheless.

WG
    Participant

The restoration is nice but the shape and size of the rear flare seems off. Also the rear bumper is missing the gentle sweep and taper to match the lower molding. Really beautiful car nonetheless.

Not quite sure what is going on with the heavy lower chrome in the sill area , the restored car has it cut at an angle , to allow door to open ? The original car has a continuous chrome.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.