Custom Car Chronicle

Custom Cars in Progress Random photos

Home Forums CCC Forum Custom Cars in Progress Random photos

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 834 total)
  • Author
    Tinwolf
    Participant

The whole car is fantastic and the dash recreation is stunning , back then it was probably “parts over the counter” , now days its “hens teeth” stuff , just incredible !!!

34 dash

John allen
    Participant

Mark Skippers car is the custom of the decade. Everything he does is spot on.

Tony
    Participant

Mark Skippers car is the custom of the decade

I’m sorry, but as spot on as his work is, this car is a recreation of someone else’s vision.

(I assume you are referring to the 34 roadster as that was the previous post. If the shoebox, that’s another story.)

John allen
    Participant

I’m well aware of the Wes Collins car, and I know of the almost recreation. But in terms of a current, ground up build, the attention to every detail ,and the execution, is perfection. And the decision to invest it all in such a lesser known car is a bold move. Don’t get me started on his shoebox.

David Conrad
    Participant

What about his shoebox?

John allen
    Participant

14157_10

Tony
    Participant

The shoebox? I did say that’s another story. Superb.

David Conrad
    Participant

I agree, it is superb!!

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I came across this LaSalle being chopped at Cornfield Customs Ltd on their Facebook. Really beautiful profile. When I saw that beautiful chop I just had to lower the suspension a little to get aa quick look at how the whole package will be…. Love it.

La-Salle-Chopped-01-Cornfield Customs Ltd

La-Salle-Chopped-06-Cornfield Customs LtdLa-Salle-Chopped-05-Cornfield Customs LtdLa-Salle-Chopped-04-Cornfield Customs LtdLa-Salle-Chopped-03-Cornfield Customs LtdLa-Salle-Chopped-02-Cornfield Customs Ltd

La_Salle-Lowered

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

David/Michelle
    Participant

I must respond to Tony’s comments regarding Mark Skipper’s latest endeavor. Specifically the statement that Mark’s restyled ’34 Ford is really only a “recreation of someone else’s vision”. That might very well be technically true in that someone else had previously applied the very specific custom modifications and restyling ideas that Mark’s recreation encompasses. However one must bear in mind that the putative 1st owner and/or customizer, Wes Collins, may have based his own styling cues on someone else’s “vision”.  Second owner, Al Marx, certainly appreciated those earlier efforts regardless of who originated them. In my view, there are really only a few notable instances of  first ideas in the art and craft of automobile restyling. When a current builder seeks to construct a car that is non-specific to anything historical or otherwise well known and of their own vision, 99% of the time that car is still very much derivative of another person’s ideas or creative mind. These builds do not have to do justice to the original template or details that an accurate recreation must adhere to. It thus becomes much more challenging to build an authentic replica that warrants emulating. Reproducing a certain well known and admired hot rod or custom that no longer exists to high levels of accuracy is a very worth while endeavor. And so it is with Mark Skipper’s very accurate and well executed echo of the Wes Collins Ford.

Tony
    Participant

I think we are splitting hairs.

In no way have I belittled or down played Mark’s effort, skill and committment in re creating the Wes Collins roadster. One thing it would not be is easy.

On the other hand, creating anything original is derivative by nature. All creative thoughts come from influences conscious or unconscious. Nothing is created in a vacuum.

I am often praised for the custom I am making and just as often I point out that I am merely standing on the shoulders of giants. I have not invented anything, I have simply taken a list of established styling cues, methods and parts and applied them as I felt appropriate for the outcome. The difference between a custom and a clone.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Tony.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Tony.
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

If Torchie was here he would get what I’m about to say.
    In most endeavours there are two schools.
    Formal and informal.

For this discussion I’ll use Classical and Jazz.
    Further I’ll liken Classical to Restoration, and Customisation to Jazz.
    Some of the greatest Classical pianists can’t play jazz. Some of the greatest jazz musicians can’t read music.
    You get that?
    Now I play piano and I play with old cars.
    I am often amazed at the similarities of the skills needed.

You saw my Jazz side with both my 39s, Cadillac and Packard.
    Now I’m immersed in my Classical side which is restoration of the 53 Eldos.
    Customisation is free and liberated expression.

Restoration is disciplined and regimented conformity of what was previously created.

Both are a form of art. Both require great skill.
    You probably notice that Jazz musicians Smile a lot. Classical musicians, not so much.

Mark Skipper is an artist who understands both disciplines.

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Torchie is smiling, Quentin.

Amen, brother.

Mark Skipper
    Participant

I thank all of you for the kind words and take everything in with respect when I read. Keeping it real is a common bond we all have and I am proud to be in this bond with our Fathers of Early Custom Cars and with you great Folks.

We are all just followers, creators, builders and passionate Custom Car lovers.

Been very slow with the finished product on the 34 with life getting in the way but with that said am back on the Collins/Marx tribute build.

Mark Skipper

kristopher hop
    Participant

I’ve finally bit the bullet on filling the dash.  The original dash that came with the car had the gauges filled with lead.  The plan is to put aftermarket gauges in pods ontop of the center console.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 834 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.