Custom Car Chronicle

Custom Car Model Cars

Home Forums CCC Forum Custom Car Model Cars

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

How about a CCC-Post about Custom Car Model Cars.
    I started my interest in Custom Cars with building Custom Car Models. My father had a large collection of AMT kits, which he all built box stock.. so he had a huge box full of those wonderful old Custom Car parts… Which I was able to confiscate when I was an early teen. And I used a lot of those parts on my custom cars, bikes and trucks…. And most of these did not survive. Later I created my own custom car parts, and finished a few nice Custom Cars.
    The modeling tools and kits are boxed away for around 12 years now… Perhaps… well hopefully they will be opened at one point. I do miss working on my model cars, or parts. Its just the lack of time and space that prevent me from getting the stuff from the garage.
    But I do still love to check out the wonderful Custom Car models that are created around the world. From time to time I do an feature article about some model cars as well.

To start off this post here are some models from Sweden.
    For the last couple of weeks I have been collecting some photos of Roger Norhagen’s models. Roger is a great car builder full scale, but also a fantastic model car builder as these photo show.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Wow Rik! Way to set the bar high! I haven’t built for years for many of the same reasons you mentioned. I had pictured myself building away my evenings in retirement – HA! So, although there are a few remaining models from many, many years ago, I have very few pics (the models are packed well away), but here are a couple of pitiful examples:

please excuse the photo quality!

This Merc was done a long while back from the first issue of AMT’s kit. I chopped the top following a how-to in Rod and Custom (?) done on a 1:1 car and used thread for the drip rail. I used ball point pen sections for the quad head lamps and painted it with lots and lots of pearl white over tan..

Merc_side_front

Merc_side_rear

My second (real) car was an old mild custom ’52 Chev coupe which I wanted to duplicate in 1/25 scale, so I swapped roofs (sp?) with the ’49 Ford coupe and with some minor tweaking I ended up with a Chev coupe and a Ford Victoria! This is as far as I got with the Chev kit:

ChevCoupe

I know you folks have better stuff than this, so I’m looking forward to more scale customs!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Interesting Dave.
    Did you use nail-polish on the Merc?
    I remember the days when I was walking around the mall trying to find the best nail polish colors for my next model cars… And especially all the looks that got me.
    Interesting idea on the Chevy coupe…. Never even thought about doing that.

Here is a picture of my last workbench.. I think this is about 13 or 14 years ago.

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Great topic. Never built any myself, don’t think I have the patience but I’m really impressed by those who build and the details on the models. Roger had a bunch of really nice mini customs on display at the Customs & Kustoms gathering this summer.

model1

Rik, I haven’t used nail polish on any models yet (the pearl was Pactra) but I do have a bunch of bottles waiting.. You’re right about the ladies at the counter alway raising an eyebrow until you explain. By-the-way nail polish makes a great match for touching up the exotic colours on our two wheel bikes as well! Your workbench pic looks like a full-scale shop because of the dozen or so projects on the go! I hope they are stashed away safely awaiting your return!

Dave

p.s. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can locate some 1/25 grills that could pass for ’41 Mercs? I plan to re-chop Revell’s new kit to resemble my car..

Jus' creepin' along..

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

41 Merc grille… I think I would make that from some Evergreen ribbed styrene cut to shape, then carefully sand the edges. And the top portion from a piece of strip styrene sanded to shape and glued to the ribbed section. Then paint everything with Alclad II, or bare metal foil it very carefully.
    Should not be to hard to do I think. Perhaps there are some old kit parts with nice ribs on them that could be used. I think the AMT ’51 Chevy fleetline used to have a nice ribbed grille.

I do not have a sample of the ribbed sheet styrene used to create a grille. But below are some photos of this material and how I used it to create the ribbed section of an 1950-51 Mercury dash (created from a 49 Merc dash)

And here is the finished dash, cast in resin, and the grille section painted with Alclad II by Steve Boutte.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Another great Custom Car model from Roger Norhagen.

Jeff Malpass
    Participant

I have always liked this one.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Oh yeah… that one is nice Jeff.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

More of Roger’s work…

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

More model cars from Roger Norhagen

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Bryce Michelmore scale tribute to the Terry Holloway Plymouth painted by Larry Watson.

These skill levels embarrass me..  Some real artistry demonstrated here!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.