Custom Car Chronicle

Creating a KREEP..

Home Forums CCC Forum Creating a KREEP..

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 222 total)
  • Author

Early on, when it was first decided that a re-do was not only desired but necessary, I did a photoshop exercise to help choose a suitable colour.  I’ll show those here to underline how happy I was to see the results of the paint choice.  (I told you the story may jump around).  😉

The necessary profile shot of the Mercury as purchased:

WithFlames

Graphics removed.  The purple is nice, but if we go through the effort of re-doing/repairing the car, then the best way to let folks know work has been done is to change the colour – right?

41inPurple

Now, a deep green was/is a popular choice.  (Perhaps too popular for my tastes).

41inGreen

Looks pretty nice (one reason it’s popular).

A dark Washington Blue shade was also a good option:

41inBlue

Then there is the maroon/burgundy option:

41inWine

All terrific choices, but I wanted to stand out from the crowd as well as stay fairly close to the era’s look.  After reading Geo. Barris’ write-up on his painting methods in a Trend book, I was anxious to try a deep shade with the effect of adding gold powder.  George had done this frequently, so I thought I would give it a digital try.  A deep brown, almost black, with gold/bronze highlights would be different enough and give the Merc the classic/custom effect I was after.  This is what we attempted to emulate with the paint; and I feel this is what we got:

41inBrown

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Ten months after first dropping the car off at Ramsay’s Rod Shop (pretty quick I’d say..) my friend Bob trailered the car to my place from Warren’s Dream Car Garage.  Word got around quickly, so there were more than enough bodies around to push/pull her into the light of day and then to the garage.

IMG_2010 copy

IMG_2012 copy

YEA!!

The rest of the car will be stored at Warren’s until needed as space will be limited in my home shop.

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Got my folders mixed and missed some pics of the car during paint.

Base colour:

IMG_1998 copy

Clear coat:

IMG_1999 copy

I had messed with single-stage options, but could not get the results I was after (George and others had worked in lacquer which is tough for us to source in this neck of the woods).  Then when Warren volunteered to paint the car I couldn’t very well interfere with his preferred methods and products, so base-clear it was!  Not era correct, but the overall look is bang on I think.

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Stunning.  That deep color with bronze highlights just glows!

Shanahan
    Participant

Great choice on the color! It stands out because it doesn’t stand out (less is more). Well done.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Yes, Yes, YES! Great color choice for your Merc, Classic! Very nice.

Mitch

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Great stuff Dave.

Thank you everyone!  Of course, it seems as soon as you get what you think is a great idea it turns up everywhere in some form or another!  Brown is becoming the new red very rapidly!  Tough to be unique ain’t it?  (Ian, watch out.  You might start to see shades of “lemon-lime” all over the place)!    🙂

Again, thanks.

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Amazing Dave…. it is so great to see it get together step by step.. and then for the first time to see that color on the dash, then the fenders and hood… That must have been so exciting for you. The color really looks like something cooked up by the Barris or Ayala shop back in the early 1950’s.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

David
    Participant

Amazing how the close the color and gold powder effect turned out in real life compared to the photoshop.

Amazing how the close the color and gold powder effect turned out in real life compared to the photoshop.

Could not have been more pleased at that Dave!  It’s one of the big things that makes folks take notice – paint first, then wheels/tires and if you feel you’ve got those right it’s a great relief..

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

The car came to me with the very common combo of 350ci Chevy, Turbo 350.  This was working well, so I decided to continue with this setup in order to focus funds toward the rest of the re-do.  After all the combination is “common” for good reason!  After re-gasketing and painting the engine we re-mounted the newly serviced converter and transmission for ease of cleanup.

IMG_1952 copy

Some final touch-ups in the engine bay..

IMG_2067 copy

Engine and transmission should go in here:

IMG_2078 copy

Thanks to the additional heads and hands of phellow Pharaohs Jim and Cam, in it went!

IMG_2080 copy

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

With the drive train back in place the rest of the sheet metal can come home and will no longer be Warren’s responsibility(!).

Back fenders loosely mounted in preparation for the welting.

IMG_2175 copy

IMG_2181 copy

Put the nose on!!!

IMG_2188 copy

Hello KREEP!

IMG_2189 copy

Gas cap on (not as easy as I would have liked) and welting in place.  Imagine what the Merc’s paint would look like if we had cut & polished it – but it’s a driver after all..

IMG_2184 copy

IMG_2187 copy

Neil & Lorne asked me not to reveal who these fellows are so you’ll have to guess..  😉

IMG_2182 copy

Thanks to those two (un named  😉  ) fellows, we managed to tug all the welting into place:

IMG_2185 copy

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Just had to mock up the grills..

IMG_2194 copy

Oh yes, and the hood installed too.

Changing up the headlight bulbs – old one on the right new one on the left.

IMG_2191 copy

Gonna make the original style column operate the automatic.

IMG_2199 copy

IMG_2200 copy

IMG_2206 copy

IMG_2209 copy

IMG_2213 copy

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Really good stuff Dave. Another great feature of your colour is the welting just kind of disappears something I am struggling with how I am going to do it on my truck. And yeah I have already seen a few lime gold coloured cars popping up in show coverage and lime green seems to be the new “in colour” for the econobox OEM vehicles as well. What can you do. 🙂 Drove home from Calgary in a snow storm today looks like summer  is coming to an end quickly. 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 222 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.