Home Forums CCC Forum Creating a KREEP..

This topic contains 114 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Dave (a.k.a. rodncustomdreams) 1 day, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #52714

    The whole front end is one piece due to the welding of fenders to nose:

    IMG_1658 copy

    Re-bar supports the fender bead!

    DSCN5414 copy

    The new lower cowl pieces are added:

    DSCN5427 copy

    DSCN5419 copy

    DSCN5420 copy

    DSCN5432 copy

     

    Dave

    Jus' creepin' along..

    #52715

    It’s going to be my job to deal with the interior – don’t show my wiring buddy Cam this pic!

    DSCN5423 copy

    Going to get rid of all of this:

    DSCN5417 copy

    The steering wheel was in a comfortable spot so I will measure things for future reference:

    DSCN5425 copy

     

    Dave

    Jus' creepin' along..

    #52721

    David
    Participant

    That wiring looks familiar….the same guy that wired mine must have wired yours. Haha

    Great work Dave! Kudos to you for having the guts to jump in and see it through.

    #52722

    Ha, ha!  Wiring is a great mystery to me (as are many things), but I really don’t know how these rat’s nests happen..  It shouldn’t take too much thought to add a complete wire rather than having a million short pieces clipped together every six inches..?  Anyhoo, we’ve all seen this sort of thing before, and as you say, most of us have dealt with similar “harnesses”!  Thanks for watching Dave.

     

    Dave

    Jus' creepin' along..

    #52723

    The guys had to make a small pie-cut in this patch in order for it to fit nicely:

    DSCN5446 copy

    Patching, patching..

    IMG_1670 copy

    DSCN5450 copy

    It’s not your eyes – it’s shaky camera work!  Anyway, the better salvage fenders were proving a god-send for patching.  Wait!  The Ford fenders aren’t as long as the big Merc..  Make a panel to bridge the gap!

    DSCN5454 copy

    With the body being more “stable” now, attention was turned to some of the mods that had been done earlier in order to smarten things up – either dealing with unfinished work or cutting apart for re-welding to fix gaps and what was originally back at the time, intended to be preliminary work.

    IMG_1668 copy

    IMG_1664 copy

     

    Dave

     

    Jus' creepin' along..

    #52724

    Buddy!  Get out of the picture!  Time to get this lump out of there while the front clip is off.

    IMG_1657 copy

    On the move to my place.. Thanks to Bob and his truck!

    DSCN5442 copy

    Stopped at his shop first for an industrial-type pressure wash.

    DSCN5445 copy

    A coat of many colours..

    DSCN5451 copy

     

    Dave

    Jus' creepin' along..

    #52725

    The bodywork doesn’t stop..

    The rotted door bottom is removed.  Door skin looks decent so it’ll be cleaned and sealed in preparation of a new door bottom.

    DSCN5437 copy

    IMG_1680 copy

    Nice work again fellas!

    IMG_1681 copy

    And back outside during the day to clear up some shop space and allow me to begin to clean up the engine bay:

    IMG_1688 copy

    IMG_1686 copy

     

    Dave

    Jus' creepin' along..

    #53221

    The engine bay cleaned up pretty well and so I just touched things up with a rattle-can..  Maybe I should have yanked the wires at this stage..?

    DSCN5455 copy

    Meanwhile, I prepare to re-gasket the engine and replace all the “consumables”:

    DSCN5479 copy

    Colour test before I get too far:

    DSCN5481 copy

     

    Dave

    Jus' creepin' along..

    #53222

    Meanwhile, the guys are finessing bodywork and fitment..:

    DSCN5485 copy

    Eliminated the factory seam over the front wheels.

    DSCN5486 copy

    And if you recall, I’d requested a different radius on the upper door corners..:

    DSCN5489 copy

    Steady progress!

    DSCN5491 copy

    A small task I got to do myself was to paint the floor at this point – some good metal!!

    IMG_1694 copy

    You can see here that the catwalk bracing had been moved forward quite a bit and (not shown here) a board was installed to act as the front mount for the rear seat which was moved forward a like amount.

    IMG_1693 copy

    Painted the new trunk floor too of course..

    IMG_1695 copy

     

    Dave

    Jus' creepin' along..

    #53223

    The gap that was revealed between the nose and the fender has been filled:

    IMG_1696 copy

    Neil is no fan of brass.. so it will have to go!

    IMG_1703 copy

    Oh CRAP!  More holes.

    IMG_1700 copy

    The last of the purple paint was removed from the cowl and.. we discovered the complete, operating vent under some silicon sealer and all that paint!  I like me a cowl vent (no air conditioning) so I lucked out!

    IMG_1728 copy

     

    Dave

     

    Jus' creepin' along..

    #53224

    Copper!!

    IMG_1716 copy

    and some sealer on the doors:

    DSCN5492 copy

     

    Dave

    Jus' creepin' along..

    #53229

    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

    I’m really enjoying this Dave.

    Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

    #53242

    Larry Pointer
    Participant

    Thanks for sharing, Dave.  Your step-by-step documentation is inspiring.  That “eating the elephant one bit at a time” revelation of what’s really in a project.  How many times you hear, “Well, I want to see it when you get it done!”   Yet it really is in the details of the project that a full appreciation is found, isn’t it.

    #53249

    Ian Gibbons
    Participant

    Keep it coming Dave very interesting. It’s different watching a build thread that you already know the outcome of. Kind of fun. 🙂

    #53250

    Torchie
    Participant

    🙂  🙂  🙂

    Torchie

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.