Custom Car Chronicle

Prestons Model A boattail roadster.

Home Forums CCC Forum Prestons Model A boattail roadster.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

ooooooh fenders….

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Love this Art Ross frontal design.Ā IMG_0182

James D
    Participant

Saw some photos from the Villa dĀ“Este concours and spotted this rather hotrod looking thing, which turned out to be a Moto Guzzi “Nibbio” racer. Has some great lines, although probably more “race car” then you were going for. Thought youĀ“d like to see.

http://ruoteclassiche.quattroruote.it/wp-content/themes/ruoteclassiche-new/timthumb.php?src=http://ruoteclassiche.quattroruote.it/wp-content/uploads/nggalleries/villa-deste-2017-nibbio-coppa-doro/villa-d-este-2017_nibbio-coppa-oro-giovanni-lurani-ruoteclassiche_11.jpg&h=500http://ruoteclassiche.quattroruote.it/wp-content/themes/ruoteclassiche-new/timthumb.php?src=http://ruoteclassiche.quattroruote.it/wp-content/uploads/nggalleries/villa-deste-2017-nibbio-coppa-doro/villa-d-este-2017_nibbio-coppa-oro-giovanni-lurani-ruoteclassiche_12.jpg&h=500https://i2.wp.com/www.immaginidellario.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/concorso-eleganza-maggio-2017-1-9-opt.jpg?resize=1280%2C559

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Wow. That’s a beauty James. I appreciate all inspiration. Ā Imagine turning that body back to front. Faired in fenders up front and enclosed Indian style rear cycle fenders. . . And twice as big.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Any excuse to look at cool pics. How about this Auburn. . . . And Rik’s fender comment has me wondering if fenders might just work. Ā Skirts on the back for that custom look of course. A really nice set of model a fenders on eBay right now and of course I’m broke. Ain’t it the way.9513121428

Talbot
    Participant

Great thread. Love me a boat tail car!

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Mockup in my messy shed just to get a feel. Camera angle exaggerates the size of the bum. I’ve contacted the Australian hot rod federation to get an idea of chassis regulations as far as running a Cadillac flat head or Packard 6. I still want to build my own model a chassis but want to lengthen it about 4 to 6 inches. This may necessitate going to 150×50 box section. Most would just go with a repop 32 chassis but I don’t have the extravagance of extra cash to buy a pre made chassis. . . And when I consult with Preston as to what he thinks he replies ” CAN’T YOU SEE I’M IN Ā THE MIDDLE OF PLAYING A GAME AND IF I STUFF UP THIS LEVEL IT’S YOUR FAULT!!!!”

P1000845

Tony
    Participant

The way you’ve continued the arc of the hood centreline at the back is really good. When all done and painted it certainly won’t look like a car or truck hoodĀ  stuck on the back of a chopped off roadster (like many do).Ā  From that angle the overall proportions look nice. Not a big car by any means.

Torchie
    Participant

Agree with Tony’s comments. My concern in regards to fenders would be the relationship of the top of the fenders to the top of the body.

If the tops of the rear fenders are too high up it may make the body look like it was sectioned. Or out of proportion.

Always have loved the look of the Auburn speedsters. Their proportions are just right.

I am sure that what ever way you go (Fenders or not )Ā  it will looks right Quentin.

Torchie

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Love the torpedo shape of it from this angle.
    And yes Tony’s comments are so right… nobody will ever notice the hood was the base of it all.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Mockup continues. Borrowed a mate’s spare model a chassis. (Thanks Stu.) Immediately can see that to fit a Packard 6 or flathead Cadillac engine will require at least 6 to 8 inch extension to the hood and chassis length.

Also decided to section the rear another 80mm at the rear and 40mm at the b pillar and considering welding the whole rear tub smooth. It has a very fluid shape that is aerodynamic and really the seam might just busy the form. Not decided yet.P1000864_1

Tony
    Participant

The A-bone wheelbase was only 104″ (103 3/4″, but who’s counting) …basically a small car with a 4 cylinder engine.

I think you need to go to a custom frame to make this work right, forget about the Model A frame dimensions, at least wheelbase wise. Or use a short engine. šŸ˜‰

Mild Mitch
    Participant

I agree, the proportions are looking really good! Most “speedsters” look cobbled together and gangley. Preston is doing one hellofa job! I have dealt with Model A frames, trying to stuff Longer, Bigger, Better engines Ā in. I have also built Box tube frames that work really well. Make it your own. Modifying the A frame will be more work and end up more likely unsatisfactory.

I really like this one!

Mitch

Tony
    Participant

I should add a bit of a golden rule for good looking early cars: the front axle needs to be in line with the radiator or slightly ahead of it.

Front axle centreline anywhere to the rear of the radiator = goofy and Pinocchio. (Sadly, both Disney references)

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Rolled up a quick door skin so I can get a feel for the shapes. I think it is coming together better than I even envisaged. I’m really happy with the flow so far. Itching to plonk a nose on it and stand back P1000866P1000867so I can stand back and take it all in. This build is like jazz. . . . And it’s really good therapy. . . . And cheaper than a therapist.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.