Custom Car Chronicle

Prestons Model A boattail roadster.

Home Forums CCC Forum Prestons Model A boattail roadster.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

IMG_0079I’ve been wondering if the 46 Packard grille will really suit and then stumbled on this pic. Can’t find anything more on this one but it’s a winner. I’m onto a pair of E and J headlights. But perhaps I could go to IKEA and look in the kitchen department for some roasting pans.

Tony
    Participant

Please, no E&J headlights. (But I suppose you’re not really building a hot rod so you could get a kind of pass on that.)

Are you going to incorporate a belly pan in the design?

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Yep. It will be belly panned. I will remake the front cowl sides as one piece and eliminate the swages.

What headlight ideas do you have Tony?

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

GM long teardrop headlight will fit great with the boat tail.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Tony
    Participant

What headlight ideas do you have Tony?

I have no ideas, but if a small frontal area hot rod/tracknose themeĀ I would be thinking maybe Arrows or other small ones. GM teardrops may be too big and dominate. No headlights would be good! Unless you’re after the coachbuilt look and all that headlight stuff.

No one ever used E&J’s back in the day. And yes, the ONE example is Frank Mack. He’s ONE, so that hardly counts as a movement, fashion or trendĀ (and he was from the Midwest.)

Torchie
    Participant

Quentin.

You might take a look at the Indian teardrop headlight.

Not as overbearing as the E&J and they come in repros so they may be more cost effective.(If that is an issue.)

Just my 2 cents from a place far, far away from Australia. But not quite in the Midwest……:)

Torchie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tony
    Participant

I see what you did there Torchie šŸ˜‰

Mild Mitch
    Participant

I have to agree, Frank Mack’s T is the only hot rod I have EVER seen that those lights work on. But you know what that all say about havin’ opinionsā€¦

My first thought was the Twilite from the early Chevys, big and round. Might balance the narrow grille. I like the Packard grille. Or, B-L-C or Guide 903 perhaps.

31chev72953-1

Torchie
    Participant

I see what you did there Torchie ?

šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚

Torchie

Mild Mitch
    Participant

well that didn’t work.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Mitch… if you have a file that will not attache, please email it to me. rik@customcarchronicle.com

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Just some ideas

Quentin Hall
    Participant

The cream car is very interesting. I lifted the frame up to ride height and dummied a Cadillac wheel up to get a feel of proportions. Happy with the look so far.

P1000770-912x1368P1000769-1368x912

Torchie
    Participant

Looks Good Quentin.

This reminds me of the build on another site where the guy was building a speedster type body using a 1949? Cadillac hood split in two as his starting point.

Your proportions look just right.

Torchie

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Loving this one, Quentin. Ā It’s really fun seeing how a custom creation comes together, and here, the thinking that is contributing to the build. Ā I used to fantasize (among many fantasies) a speedster/sportster rear deck from the hood of a 40s Chrysler product. Ā Long, and pointy. Ā But like your Holden, the side flare came off too high. Ā By slicing the hood there, as you have done, and adding the side panels, Voila! Ā Good on you, Quentin. Ā And to all the CCC mates, keep the ideas coming. Ā That Packard grille on the black car above, really gets the juices flowing. Ā What a treat, the CCC forum.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.