Custom Car Chronicle

Prestons Model A boattail roadster.

Home Forums CCC Forum Prestons Model A boattail roadster.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    Torchie
    Participant

Great finds all. Especially that windscreen.

Torchie

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Tinkering in the shed today and some visualising and imagining the new 28/29 cowl. . . And some beer.

I had to make the lower cowl pieces just so i could mock it up. More than likely I’ll remake the whole piece to incorporate the hinge pillar as a seamless unit.

I’ll also put the leading edge of the cowl at the same angle as the 33 chev hood sides. The vents are on an angle that ties in well with the raked screen.

Next job will be to get some mandrel bent 40mm tube to make the interior tub form. P1000709-1368x912P1000708-1368x912

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Fun!
    What does Preston say about it…

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Preston’s media liaison and publicity statement officer is yet to release a comment.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Looks Bitchin! (even without approval from the higher ups) But I hope he likes and appreciates this.
    Mitch

Quentin Hall
    Participant

I’m struggling a little with how to transition into the wheel arch. I made up a standard shape wheelarch with the flare that the roadster body and fender would normally come out to. I have to consider if I want it to look like a body that never had fenders or one that has had the fenders removed. IMG_0044IMG_0043IMG_0045

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Cut an old bed frame up to get an idea of the door shape. Will need it to be rolled to get the shape I want. IMG_0042IMG_0039IMG_0046

Torchie
    Participant

A question for you Quentin.

How much of a gap is there going to be between the rear tires and the edge of that holden hood?

In the pics of the 2 boat tail speedsters that you posted there is a wide space between the boat tail and the rear wheels necessitating the use of a cover for the axles. That hood you are using is much wider than the boat tail bodies. I would figure out my axle width. Then set up some tires at that spacing on either side your boat tail. (Mocked up rear end spacing). Then look at how you want to fill the space if there is one. It might give you a better visual as to what you want/need to do.

Just my 2 cents.

Torchie.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

That subframe that I’ve made replicates a model A. The wheel arch also replicates it as well.

Those are my “givens”. If i took the bonnet off right now and left the subframe and the wheel arch then you could drop on a standard model A roadster body. I’m actually thinking of cutting off the side ears on the bonnet and dropping longer vertical sides down low and using the ears down low to get a more pronounced prow on the boat tail.

Beer will help make that decision later today.

Tony
    Participant

I think you are duplicating phaeton wheel wells, not roadster.

I would just continue the hood flare-out and work from there.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

I took templates for the wheel arches off a 31 coupe that i worked on a few weeks ago. That is the original seat out of it which shows the proportions are right. P1000517-1368x912P1000553-1368x912

Quentin Hall
    Participant

15316571292_35176b37d3_o7ccool_speedster

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Right… No wheel arches.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Tom Kelly
    Participant

I agree with Rik.

This area seems to be the trickiest on boat tails. I can’t remember reading, is this going to be an open wheeler or will it have swooping fenders?

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Fenderless.

This silver car shows the Testarossa side scallop issue that using a hood presents that i want to avoid. ( No disrespect to the builder) .  The yellow body was on eBay and is pretty wild.$_3 (5)$_3 (2)7827_3-320x240

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.