Custom Car Chronicle

Prestons Model A boattail roadster.

Home Forums CCC Forum Prestons Model A boattail roadster.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

My 16 year old son who I named Preston, after Preston Tucker, has thus far shown no interest in cars at all. The 39 is on hold (for other reasons). I have decided to build a little bare bones hotrod to kick-start Preston’s interest somewhat. (He liked my mate’s 32 fenderless roadster.)

Just as I did when I first formulated the ideas for the 39, I have googled and searched for ideas on the net.

I keep going back to the magical very first years of car customising. Late 30s thru 40s. I have a spare Cad flathead and box. 37 Olds instruments, 46 Buick rims. 46 Cad column and steering box, Heaps of other 40s Cad bits.

I’ll give up a few of the images that I have collected so far as inspiration. Damn, if Harry Westergard doesn’t feature first up. Look at​ the custom windshield on the Norm Milne Model A. !!!!

Now don’t laugh but I have a 31 and 29 roadster cowl and a fj Holden bonnet (hood). And I’m thinking a swoopy fenderless boattail with a lengthened chassis a longer smooth hood.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

About CCC…. says it all 🙂

About-CCC-01

Not sure about a separate section on the Forum though…

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Tony
    Participant

Just put it here.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Gee, there it is in the fine print. For some reason I thought we were only about customs.

Perhaps I’ll rename the thread Preston’s boat tail Model A roadster.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I also think it would be best to post on on the main CCC-Forum… but I have created a New Forum… Will see what will work best. You can get to the Hot Rod forum using the Forum Menu on the right.

Hot-Rod-Forum-2

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Gee, there it is in the fine print. For some reason I thought we were only about customs.

Well its called the Custom Car Chronicle… so the focus is absolutely on Custom Cars. But Hot Rod and Custom Car cultures have been woven together since the beginning… So Hot Rods are also part of the CCC.

We do have a MENU for Hot Rods with some Hot Rod stories.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

And getting back to the main thing… your project…

Love the idea. I always love boat-tails… especially combined with V-Windshields…

Perhaps the 29 cowl might work best.. its more rounded and fits the boat tail Holden unit better I think
    How about a track nose?

Tony
    Participant

the 29 cowl would work best.

Depending on the ultimate outcome you’re after.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Hi Quentin,
    I have to agree, the 29 cowl would be preferable. The biggest concern I would have, and it is something you’ll want to look at, is “foot room” If Preston is taller it may be cramped. My own Roadster is a ’31 for this very reason, and I am not a tall guy, but there just isn’t much room for a LEFT Foot in a 29 with a clutch pedal.

That said, Whata Bitchin project!
    Mitch

Quentin Hall
    Participant

We are both 6 foot two. . . . And our feet resemble Ronald McDonald’s. Maybe we’ll have to build two. . . . One to look at, one to drive.

Torchie
    Participant

Not “Hot Rods” !!!!!! Oh No 🙂

Got love boat tails speedsters of any sort. Are you going to have a little door on the side so that Preston can get to his golf clubs. 🙂

I would post it up here unless Rik objects. I have a hard enough time keeping up with all the posts as it is.

Torchie

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Perhaps we don’t tell him the door is for golf clubs. . . . But he might go for it if we say it is for his laptop, noise reduction head phones, Samsung 8 plus and various other Sony gaming products.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

I did some repairs on a 31 coupe last week, so whilst it was there i measured the subframe dimensions. I have worked out how to do each subframe side in 3 pieces. I folded all the profiles up out of 1.6mm zincaneal this afternoon and got up to the B pillar. Tomorrow I’ll add the rear subframe. I’ll copy original roadster doors but perhaps from the B pillar back I’ll free form the bodywork. Going with the 31 cowl initially. I’m seriously thinking of making two bodies side by side. P1000565-1459x2189</p>

Tony
    Participant

That’s neat.

Last time I made all that I used 50x25x3mm box. It didn’t even have the toe board rails, but it did have doors.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

archive photos026_crop_853x444The one thing I’m uncertain about is stepping of the​ rear frame just yet. I really like the idea of rolled pans or even the splash aprons left on which historically was because early on you could drive to a race unbolt your fenders and then bolt them by on to drive home. Driving on the road fenderless was illegal. It was only when the war effort scrap drives came that hot rodders immediately and generously donated their fenders. Well, so the story goes.

I really love the stretched hood on the one. Must be close to a foot longer. Probably to shoe fit a Buick straight eight or big Hispano or Duessy. (dream on). Definitely will will be emulating this. muroc6

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.