Custom Car Chronicle

Cal Auto Museum Sacramento Customs Exhibition

Home Forums CCC Forum Cal Auto Museum Sacramento Customs Exhibition

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

This should be interesting.

Special exhibition on Sacramento Custom & Hot Rods at the California Automobile Museum in Sacramento.

The Museum isĀ located South of Old Sacramento, at the corner of Front Street and V Street, north of Broadway
    2200 Front Street
    Sacramento, CA 95818-1107

If somebody plans on going… please take a lot of photos and share here on the Custom Car Chronicle.

Crafting a Rebellion: Sacramentoā€™s Customs & Hot Rods
    March 30 through September 3, 2018

Crafting a Rebellion highlights the work of local custom legends: Harry Westergard, Dick Bertolucci, and Sam Barris of the Barris Brothers. This exhibit showcases customs and hot rods dating from the 1940s through the early 1960s with both the novice and enthusiast in mind. Weā€™ll explain the work in customs by comparing them with stock versions while explaining much of the terminology and design used in custom cars.

This special exhibit that will feature the amazing and often untold story of Sacramentoā€™s custom cars. In addition to showcasing an amazing collection of rare and beautiful automobiles, the Museum will also bring the era and skills of these craftsmen to life. We will do this by displaying parts, tools, and photographs within the exhibit, as well as creating engaging programs. There will also be hands-on interactives within the display itself, plus demonstrations and special events throughout the timeframe of the exhibit.

More info on the California Automobile Museum website.

Bryan Rusk photo (below)

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Man I am going to LA in May but too much of a jaunt to get up to Sacramento to see this.Ā  šŸ™

Tony
    Participant

Rebellion? Really? I hope they won.

And I thought people were just trying to make nice cars.

In any case, an interesting group of cars to see in one place.

Bryan Rusk
    Participant

A few more from setup day. It’s really great to see these cars on display together, honoring the craftsmen from Sacramento.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Great photos Bryan. Thank you.

Looks like a really great gathering.

Are they also going to do some sort Ā of booklet about it or so?

And did you take any photo of the signs? other info?

Bryan Rusk
    Participant

Thanks Rik. I know there’s some artwork being designed by Bruce Gossett that will be used for flyers or a booklet or something.

There weren’t any signs setup the day I went, but that was before it opened. I’m going back to shoot it with the full display, so I’ll capture that stuff and post a few pics here soon.

Bryan Rusk
    Participant

A few more…

0J1A6784

0J1A6720

0J1A6740

0J1A6755

0J1A6778

0J1A6794

0J1A6780

0J1A6781

Sorry, the photo of the Westergard board didn’t turn out. It’s probably better experienced in person anyway. šŸ™‚

Thank you for those excellent photos! Ā It’s a bit far away for me to scoot over to see the display, so I appreciate seeing it here!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Thank you Bryan…. really appreciate the close up shots of the boards…
    What a neat exhibit.

KingKustoms
    Participant

Looks like a great grouping of significant kustoms and the Hollenbeck Merc is a nice contemporary example…not so sure about the whole rebellion theme. I too look at the kustom and hot rod world as an extension of individual style, personality, and creativity through artistic expression. Although hot rods and kustoms pre-dated WWII, they really gained momentum following the war as we all know. I believe this is when guys had a more expendable income and were able to have a specialty vehicle that stood out among the rest…a kustom. Hot rodding also gained popularity with an increase in drag racing and aftermarket equipment availability…this is all repeat info but I’m just trying to distinguish it from a “rebellion”. By the way, Bertolucci is a bad ass! šŸ™‚

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Great pictures…Ā  I do wish the Sam Barris merc was sitting a bit lower. This is a little out of hand…Ā  ready for mudflaps and step up running boards. Other then that , I love the car and glad to see it sitting pretty along with all the other great customs.

I’m also pretty happy Quesnels Merc made it in the exibit. ?? take a close look.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Ha ha Jeff…. Jerry’s Merc sure made it to the exhibit.

Woud be neat if Jerry could actually make it to the event.

Bryan Rusk
    Participant

Great picturesā€¦ I do wish the Sam Barris merc was sitting a bit lower. This is a little out of handā€¦ ready for mudflaps and step up running boards. Other then that , I love the car and glad to see it sitting pretty along with all the other great customs. Iā€™m also pretty happy Quesnels Merc made it in the exibit. ?? take a close look.

Can’t forget the second chopped Merc ever!

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Great picturesā€¦ I do wish the Sam Barris merc was sitting a bit lower. This is a little out of handā€¦ ready for mudflaps and step up running boards. Other then that , I love the car and glad to see it sitting pretty along with all the other great customs. Iā€™m also pretty happy Quesnels Merc made it in the exibit. ?? take a close look.

Canā€™t forget the second chopped Merc ever!

Ā  That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all day. ??Ā  Ā The photo does look great in there though.

KingKustoms
    Participant

Dick Jackson said Sam’s Merc and Jerry’s Merc were both chopped at the same time but Jerry’s hit the street first. He was there. I tend to believe that. he also said Jerry’s never had door glass because it was the first slanted B pillar chopped Merc and never finished completely. Dick used to drive Sam’s Merc to school and has a story about getting stuck on a RR crossing and the door poppers wouldn’t work…no interior handles as it was getting the upholstery done.

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.