Custom Car Chronicle

Buick Steering Wheel on 41 Ford

Home Forums CCC Forum Buick Steering Wheel on 41 Ford

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Talbot
    Participant

I have seen some pics of early Ford and Mercury customs running 40 and 41 Buick steering wheels.

I like the look a lot and have scored a 41 Buick steering wheel to go into my mild 41 Ford convert.

41 Ford steering wheels attach with a key and taper. The Buick (and later GM) steering wheels attach with a spline.

Before I restore the steering wheel, can some one shed light on how the Buick wheel is installed? I can either change the centre of the steering wheel (which I’d prefer to do before restoration) or change the steering shaft.

I’d heard a suggestion that there is a later Ford steering shaft that fits a 40/41 steering box that is splined for the GM wheel.

If anyone can provide further info/confirmation that would be greatly appreciated

Thank all.

Talbot
    Participant

Nothing to say, huh?

Tinwolf
    Participant

I have not done any of these conversions but looked into doing them , basicly either remachine the center or remove and weld in the center of the desired center . -41-47 Buick steeringwheel center is a large chunk of steel with chomed outside with the stainless flat spokes welded to the center , how was it made originally ? Chromed center , then welded spokes ? to mill or grind out the center , insert the center out of a Ford Merc steeringwheel with the conical / key design and get it lined up perfect in the center takes some meticules machining , on the other hand cutting the shaft of a Buick and splice that with a tube all welded on the steering shaft might be a easier way of attaching the Buick steering wheel to the car . Then there is the why , -41-53 Buick steering wheels are quite floppy possibly due to the flat bars in the spokes , have you driven a Buick of those years and felt the steeringwheel flex ? I know customs is not about practical matters , cool looks is whats makes a custom , just a thought !

These two customs below made the swap , -41-47 Buick steeringwheel in FoMoCo cars , looking beautiful !

Wolf

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

Some pics of the wheel and the steering column spline might help. I have a similar situation soon with a Packard steering wheel and possibly an HQ box. Like any cut and shut project is a case of getting all the parts you are about to use in the one place and then looking at them for a good while before you commit. Remember measure twice, cut once. . . . Or. . . . Cut it twice, it’s still too short.  Possibly in your situation the shaft might be the best option but then be very careful with Rego requirements. You may have to get it x-rayed and engineer inspected etc. You are in Victoria? Doug will be a little more familiar with their requirements.

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

There is a thread somewhere here by Kingkustom on fitting a keyed steering wheel on a splined steering column.

Talbot
    Participant

I have not done any of these conversions but looked into doing them , basicly either remachine the center or remove and weld in the center of the desired center . -41-47 Buick steeringwheel center is a large chunk of steel with chomed outside with the stainless flat spokes welded to the center , how was it made originally ? Chromed center , then welded spokes ? to mill or grind out the center , insert the center out of a Ford Merc steeringwheel with the conical / key design and get it lined up perfect in the center takes some meticules machining , on the other hand cutting the shaft of a Buick and splice that with a tube all welded on the steering shaft might be a easier way of attaching the Buick steering wheel to the car . Then there is the why , -41-53 Buick steering wheels are quite floppy possibly due to the flat bars in the spokes , have you driven a Buick of those years and felt the steeringwheel flex ? I know customs is not about practical matters , cool looks is whats makes a custom , just a thought ! These two customs below made the swap , -41-47 Buick steeringwheel in FoMoCo cars , looking beautiful ! Wolf

Great Pics! This is the exact wheel I have! Hmmm, how to fit is the question….

Quentin Hall
    Participant

You’ll need both the correct spline and hub of either the Buick wheel and shaft or the original Ford shaft and wheel .

David
    Participant

To put the keyed accessory wheel in my Merc on a splined column, I used the advice of several others and cut a keyway on the column. The wheel slid over the splines nice and tight, and using the key sealed the deal. The set up has worked flawlessly for nearly 15k miles with no signs of slipping or loosening. I think you could cut a keyway in the Buick wheel hub and be good to go, so long as the wheel sits down tight on the end of the tapered steering shaft.

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi..Q….. I cant comment….client best get in touch with with Vic roads  accredited engineer if you live in Victoria…..just a tip on advice …..Giving advice on modifications could lead to ligation if things go wrong ….this blog could be used  as  diary in court….so be very careful what you submit…..

Talbot
    Participant

Hmmm, interesting…..

All advice is accepted on an all care no responsibility basis.

No warranties are implied or suggested.

All modifications are the responsibility of the owner.

The dog ate my homework. I lost my ID in a flood

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi Talbot..I think I read it on other forums!!! the Buick splined taper is nearly the same as the ford keyed taper  ..so you would need an engineered approved key way slotted into the steering wheel hub ……..job done

Mild Mitch
    Participant

I’ve looked into similar modifications too. Not “advising”, but I would splice a GM steering shaft to the Ford myself. If you have the correct shaft anyway.

And on that note…

<iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/nMqxNPsfN50?ecver=2&#8243; width=”480″ height=”360″ frameborder=”0″ style=”position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mitch

Talbot
    Participant

Thanks for all the advice ! I can’t say I’d be comfortable with a weld splice on the column. My preference at this stage is to replace the centre of the steering wheel with an adaptor hub.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.