Custom Car Chronicle

Bob Alexander's 48 Plymouth coupe

Home Forums CCC Forum Bob Alexander's 48 Plymouth coupe

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brian Arcella
    Participant

I know I’ve read it somewhereĀ before but I can’t find it but I know someone else did a lot of the work on his 48 Plymouth custom but for the life of me I can’t seem to find the info and in particular what year Merc grill and surroundĀ did he use/ Rick I figuredĀ if anyone would know it would be you.

I picked up the missing sheetmetal for my project yesterday and dropped it off at my buddies shop for media blasting so the next piece of the puzzle is the grill surroundĀ I’ve found a few 49/50’s but someone posted a 51 forsale on another site and I am wondering if it would work.Ā 

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Hope this helps Brian…

It depends on what you will do for the actual grille. But the 49-50 grille surround is the best for any type of floating grille, the ’51 is not as smooth… might work, but I think it will be harder to make look right than the 49-50 units.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Brian Arcella
    Participant

Thanks Rick that the article I was looking for Mark said the same thing to me yesterday on my way home so it on the hunt for the 49 50 surround I have found one but its difficult to tell by pictures if its worth buying looks like it mightĀ  be a little beat up

Thanks againĀ 

Brian Arcella
    Participant

When I first saw this car I naturally assumed it was one of the famous Alexander brother’s cars, it appears not to be the case, learning more about this hobby every day whihc is one more reason I love old customs

Torchie
    Participant

Good looking car to use as inspiration for your build.

Nice to see something other then a Ford/GM custom.

Torchie

mark wojcik
    Participant

We’ll get you through this build, one way, or another, Brian! You’ve got the good sense to ask advice from knowledgeable people, and to use it properly, so that’s half the battle! But remember, while it’s great to build a clone of a famous car, I think you’d be better off using this car as a jumping off point,Ā  an inspiration, rather than copy it. You, and I, and our friends can contribute many fresh ideas for building a cool custom Plymouth.

Brian Arcella
    Participant

Thanks Mark, I figure this Plymouth is a good foundation so to speak to build off from so to speak I like a lot of his ideas but not enough to want to build a clone. The Merc grille surroundĀ is a given but might switch up the grille the chop is not enough but I will deferĀ to your expertise on that. I have gotten a lot of ideas that I want to “borrow” from other builds to make it unique. So that being said all I need to do is order up some 59 Caddy taillights now……

mark wojcik
    Participant

You’re killing me…..

all I need to do is order up some 59 Caddy taillights nowā€¦ā€¦

Brian, you forgot the “smilie face” ..I think.. Ā  šŸ˜‰

I like the idea of a non Ford based custom too and the Alexander custom is great inspiration!

Jus' creepin' along..

Brian Arcella
    Participant

Of course this seems to be the general consensus everytime I mention 59 Caddy tailĀ lightsĀ 

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.