Custom Car Chronicle

Bert Gustafsson's 41 Cadillac Custom

Home Forums CCC Forum Bert Gustafsson's 41 Cadillac Custom

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

Stunning. Can’t wait for more updates.

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Thanks, I have had some trouble finding time to work on the car lately, hopefully that will change. I Will post updates then.

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

I remember a discussion some time ago regarding two types of grilles for 1940 LaSalle. Well, I just discovered (the hard way) that there are two types of rear bumpers for 1941 Cadillacs. One wide with 9 ribs and one narrow with 8 ribs, as can be seen in the pic below. I had no idea, and I didn’t know that I had both types. The 9 rib bumper is the one that is re-chromed and I’m sure you can guess which one fits my car. I don’t know the situation with my front bumpers yet, need to find some more strength before I go ahead with the tape measure.

IMG_0590

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Oh no, that is not good. I had never heard about that difference. Why would there be a difference like that in these bumpers. Are the four door sedans wider than the two door models?

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

My understanding is that series 60-61-62 and 63 used the 8-rib type and that the 9-rib type were used by 67 and 75 series, which were built on the longer wheelbase chassis (limousines etc.) I guess those bodys were a few inches wider.

This is with the 8-rib bumper mounted.

IMG_0595

Torchie
    Participant

WOW!
    The car is stunning for sure Bert.
    Sorry to hear about the bumper issues.A expensive way to learn. It sounds like the Caddy sombrero sizing as well. The limos and commercial(Hearse, Flower car…) used the 16 inch while the cars used the 15 inch.
    Take a deep breath and keep on keeping on.
    Torchie

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

OMG Bert…. so good to see it in paint. STUNNING!

Will the 9 rib bumper be to wide? I guess it will be.

But WOW… what an absolutely gorgeous car.

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Thanks guys. I will use the 8-rib bumper, I think the 9-rib bumper is too wide for the car and it will not fit my bumper brackets or the rear gravel panel. Just need to send it to the chrome shop next winter and hope that I can find somebody in need for a 9-rib type rear bumper. Did a quick check on the front bumper today and I think it’s good.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

That’s a shame on your bumper situation. I did essentially the same thing with my 1941 Buick Quarter window trim. They are not all the same.

But! Your Caddy is looking really AMAZING!

Mitch

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Here’s a couple more from today. It’s a driver now so I just had to take it for a short spin around the house before we head south to OSW.

DSC01306small

DSC01307small

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

DANG….. DANG!!!!!!!!!

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Simply gorgeous.  Good on you, Bert

Quentin Hall
    Participant

One of the top 5 traditionally styled customs ever. You just set the bar several notches higher.

As for the chrome drama,  well that is just to remind you that you are mere mortal. Otherwise we’d all think you are a god.

Torchie
    Participant

BRAVO!!!
    Torchie

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Excellent! What a beautiful Caddy! First drive is always memorable.

Mitch

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.