Custom Car Chronicle

Bert Gustafsson's 41 Cadillac Custom

Home Forums CCC Forum Bert Gustafsson's 41 Cadillac Custom

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    CadillacRob86
    Participant

That’s a very interesting topic Quentin. I had a long and hard internal struggle over those, I even got hold of same year c-body concealed hinges but finally decided that they should stay as they were of pretty much the same reason you already mentioned. And, I had the same struggle with the trunk lid hinges and if the fadeaways on the doors, behind the door and rear fenders should be bolted, as on the Dutches, or welded. After finding some same era one-offs with completely “sealed bodys” I figured it could be done either way, and I choosed welding. Speaking about fadeaways, Rob. It was 2 years since I made them so the details may be i bit fuzzy but I don’t think any wheeling was needed except for the part for the front fender.

No wheeling really!? Interesting.  More shrinker/stretcher stuff?  Don’t tell me it was as simple as folding it over a pipe! Haha.  Are you using 18 gauge steel?  Sorry for so many questions.  I love the car

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Yes Rob, it’s as simple as that, no compound curves. 1mm = 19 gauge???

Kyle Connole
    Participant

Absolutely fantastic,  Great work.

CadillacRob86
    Participant

Yes Rob, it’s as simple as that, no compound curves. 1mm = 19 gauge???

I appreciate you answering my questions! Thank you.

If you ever have time to snap a picture or explain how you get a tapered radius from large to small using a pipe I’d be super interested.  I’ve seen online guys have a large pipe welded or bolted side to side with a small pipe and a small gap in between to slide a sheet between so they can bend it.  But, it still confused me how you’d achieve such a nice, smooth, tapered radius.  Thanks again

-Rob

Torchie
    Participant

Trying to find the words . . . . .

Cool build to be sure. More examples of your great craftsmanship Bert.

Looking forward to seeing more…..

Torchie

Mild Mitch
    Participant

DAMN!

yes, Speachless,

Beautiful work and craftsmanship! Wonderful lines, and will be a truly stunning Cadillac. What a vision.

Thanks for sharing the process.

Mitch

Andreas
    Participant

Bert this is FANTASTIC!

mark wojcik
    Participant

Amazing!

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

A few years ago I bought a front seat that came out of a Cad 41 Coupe. I don’t have any information on the history of the car but at some point in time somebody decided to update the car with a pretty cool blue metallic/pearl and white tuck and roll interior with “chromed” piping. I guess it was done in the late fifties or sixties so both the naugahyde and the foam rubber are rock hard, very brittle and can’t be saved. Anyway, it’s fun to dig into custom car history hands on.

IMG_3629

IMG_3631

IMG_3630

IMG_3626

PalleJ
    Participant

Bert..this is amazing. i new your where up to something, and i know you have the skills to do whatever you want. i have had the same thought for some years..but it will be hard to top this one. and i am happy to be a sponsor on the build…unshaved trunk haha
    now a Edmunds equippet 346 would look good in there

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Thanks Palle. Yes, I would love to put a hopped up flathead under the hood but I think I have to put that on my long term wish list for now.

KingKustoms
    Participant

Holy cow that is gorgeous! Fantastic proportions and a really cool roadster-like feel yet still enough body to be a kustom. I love the fade-away fender shapes and the look of the body overall. This would put Coachcraft in envy in the ’40s!

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

Ken Norrena
    Participant

metal magician at work!

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

The windows frame my very talented friend has made for me was finished up so I could pick it up this weekend. Very very pleased with how it came out.

IMG_3816b

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

That looks absolutely beautiful Bert

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.