Custom Car Chronicle

Bert Gustafsson's 41 Cadillac Custom

Home Forums CCC Forum Bert Gustafsson's 41 Cadillac Custom

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

Trying to find the words . . . . .

CadillacRob86
    Participant

That’s amazing.  How did you make the fadeaways? Plus where they were welded on to the original door it looks totally seamless.  Amazed.

James D
    Participant

That´s some amazing work!

Tony
    Participant

Um…yep…mind blown.

Thank you for taking the time to post all the photos.

Larry Pointer
    Participant

What a work of coachcraft.  Thank you so much for sharing the stages in construction.  Simply beautiful!  Yep, yep:  mind blown.

GrantMaclean
    Participant

That’s incredible. Really wonderful work. How good do those early caddy motors look?!

Tinwolf
    Participant

Q.. Trying to find the words . . . . .

Me too !  Incredible project with jawdropping design , a coachbuilt 1941 Cadillac Series 60 in Sweden 2017 , truly amazing ! Thanks for showing us the project pictures , very inspiring !

Jimmy Goode 1941 Cadillac by Coachcraft for reference …

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Thank you guys for all nice comments, very much appreciated. I will try to continue to add posts when I make some more progress.
    That’s a really cool and interesting side by side comparison with the Coachcraft Cad, thanks Wolf.

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

That’s amazing. How did you make the fadeaways? Plus where they were welded on to the original door it looks totally seamless. Amazed.

The fadeaways were made from shaped flat sheet welded to the original doors.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Not sure how I missed this very cool build!

CadillacRob86
    Participant

That’s amazing. How did you make the fadeaways? Plus where they were welded on to the original door it looks totally seamless. Amazed.

The fadeaways were made from shaped flat sheet welded to the original doors.

Did you use various radii anvils on the English wheel to make it flow from large to small?

HĂĄkan Andersson
    Participant

Impressive work Bert,, Thanx for showing!

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Yes, thanks Wolf for the comparison. The whole thing is incredible and it is great that it emulates but doesn’t copy the Coachcraft 41.

I do hope you don’t change the Sixty Special exposed hinge. I know some might argue that smooth might look better. But just look there on the Coachcraft car is the absolute indisputable proof that the hinge should stay.

Anyhow Bert, thanks for making it a really exciting week.

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

That’s a very interesting topic Quentin. I had a long and hard internal struggle over those, I even got hold of same year c-body concealed hinges but finally decided that they should stay as they were of pretty much the same reason you already mentioned. And, I had the same struggle with the trunk lid hinges and if the fadeaways on the doors, behind the door and rear fenders should be bolted, as on the Dutches, or welded. After finding some same era one-offs with completely “sealed bodys” I figured it could be done either way, and I choosed welding.

Speaking about fadeaways, Rob. It was 2 years since I made them so the details may be i bit fuzzy but I don’t think any wheeling was needed except for the part for the front fender.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Life’s dilemmas. . . . I’m just happy that there are other people on this planet as crazy as me. . . .

“We are NOT alone!!!!”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.