Custom Car Chronicle

Bert Gustafsson's 41 Cadillac Custom

Home Forums CCC Forum Bert Gustafsson's 41 Cadillac Custom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

When I started my 39 build Bert was right there assisting with pics and info. He let me know he has a 41 Sixty Special that one day he would do some custom work on. About 6 months ago he casually drops an incredible photo of his car into the Tom Black thread and since then I’ve been waiting for him to divulge more.  I emailed Bert and he sent me some tantalising other pics and “promised” to start a thread. I had a near death experience this week and I have to see more of this car before I die. . . . Over to you Bert. . . .

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Absolutely, that has been my intention ever since the CCC started. Just wanted to reach a point where I feel confident that this is a build that I will finish up before I started to post since I know how incredibly slow my builds are, and with a couple of discontinued projects in my history. The current status is that the project has stalled due to other priorities but I hope that I will get back on it during the winter.
    Anyway, here are a couple of pics of what I started with, in Texas where I bought it, when I picked it up at the harbour and finally in my garage.
    To be continued…
    Sorry to hear about your nasty accident and I really wish you a speedy recovery.

cadillac 090 (Small)

IMG_2198small

IMG_2200small

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Didn’t mean to put you on the spot Bert. . . Actually, yes I did.

I don’t care if you take your time or if I take years.

Doesn’t matter. Just keep at it. I know full well that things in life can go unexpectedly. Shit, look at my last 2 years.

My accident this week was actually a miracle. Could have been so much worse and I might start a thread on workshop safety ( or stupidity) as well.

Maybe just acknowledgment from your peers will keep you inspired.

Anyhow, basically I’m selfish and I’m just wanting to see it, cos it is bloody sensational.

C’mon fellas..  I’m sure you could find bigger cars to customize if you tried!!  Heh.

This’ll be another interesting build for sure..  We’re watching Bert.

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

C’mon fellas.. I’m sure you could find bigger cars to customize if you tried!! Heh. This’ll be another interesting build for sure.. We’re watching Bert. Dave

Haha, actually, I think that can be tricky if you dont look into seven passenger cars, at least for that model year. And Cadillac proudly promoted their new seven foot long front fenders in the ads.

7FeetFender

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Talk about dragging out the suspense. I’m gonna call you Burt Hitchcock from now on. . . .

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Come down Q, I’m sure you will be alive and well for many more years. So, here are some more on the background. It was not a coincidence that I bought a 41 Cadillac sixty special. I had become more and more interested in sport customs and some of the sporty one off coachbuilt cars. My absolute favorites were some of the Coachcraft cars and in particular the -41 Cadillac they built. I was a bit surprised when I found out that they had started with a sixty special which only was available as a fourdoor. We will never know why but my guess is that they made their choice based on the fact that 60s had retained the same body since -38. All other series had newer bodies with a more modern cowl area, probably less suited to their needs. I did a “photshop” version  of what I envisioned at the time and put it up on my garage wall. After some time I reached the point of no return where I felt that I really needed to start building something in a style inspired of these cars. I didn’t really want to build a copy but I figured that a -41 60s still would be the perfect start so I started my search. They didn’t made that many of them and I don’t think that I ever had seen one in person. I found surprisingly many cars for sale but most of them were restored and way out of my league. Finally I found this almost rust free project car for a decent price and brought it home in 2012.

The “photoshop” I made (in Paint), still in my garage.

20171014_184514_resized

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

To avoid problem down the road with the Swedish car inspection agency, it is a good idea to get an imported car registered before any changes are made to it. That includes making the car driveable and kind of road worthy with functional lights, brakes and such. Then, with all paperwork done and with Swedish licence plates, the fun could start.

I was very surprised when I first found out that the 60s had nothing but wood inside the stainless trim so I started with replacing that with steel. I don’t have any “after” pics now but will add that next time the car is up on the lift.

B1

Then I moved the A pillar back 5″.

b2

And sectioned the cowl 3″

b3

b4

And the doors.

b5

b6

And smoothed out the top of the cowl.

b7

b8

Also made a fiberglass copy of the cowl so that work with the window frame could be done without access to the car.

b9

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Outside to check it out from distance.

b10

Started to figure out the shape of the trunk lid.

b10b

Early mock up that was later scrapped, think I did 2 versions before I was happy with it.

b11

b12

b14

b15

b13

Wasn’t happy with this area so the radius was increased a bit.

b16

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Then Fadeaways.

b17

b18

b19

b20

b21

b21b

Fender extended 5″

b22b

b23

b24

Was a bit hesitant on welding the fenders to the body but finally decided to do so after some discussions with Wolf.

b25

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

And the hood, which was a real pain in the ass.

b26

b27

b28

b29

b30

This was a bit awkward. I have shaved a few in the past but this was the first time I added a trunk handle to a smooth trunk lid. (Thanks Palle for the trunk handle).

b31

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

b32

Frame back from sandblasting and paint.

b33

Parts all over the place.

b34

b35

Picked up the body from blasting and paint.

b36

Body back on the frame.

b37

b38b

Found out that I needed to replace a piece here that was super thin after blasting. Unfortunately I didn’t notice until after painting.

b38

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Made an aluminum template for the windshield frame. The frame is a long story and I will come back to that later.

b39

Need to come up with a new location for the spare tire.

b40

b41

42b

b42

DSC00736

b43

b45

Vision and craftsmanship at it’s finest!!  I’m loving it!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Amazing Bert.

So fantastic to see the early steps and how you managed to create such sweet lines from the square looking sedan.

And those fade away fenders… wonderful in shape and crafted so beautifully like they came like that from the factory… or perhaps even better.

Now… Imagine yours parked next to Quentin’s ’39!

Thanks for sharing the story.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.