Custom Car Chronicle

Barry Mazza 1946 Ford Custom Project

Home Forums CCC Forum Barry Mazza 1946 Ford Custom Project

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 311 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

From Barry…

Phase two…dumbell conversion to Appleton. ..

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

From Barry…

Phase 3…bogus Appleton conversion. ..it looks like real deal at 1/4 of $$$$…..Thanks George

Tinwolf
    Participant

There was a Appleton model that George Barris and Eastern Auto sold that looks like these Dummys , Ive seen sets for sale but they are rare .  I think that Appleton model was the start of those Dummys your using so in a sense that full circle putting those spotlight housings back on Appleton handles , here is a advertisement from Eastern auto and there is a similar advertisement with George Barris ….

And they are cheap toooo , “hurry while they last”

Barris Appleton

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

From Barry…

The Barris method of using unpopular Appleton spotlights using dummy shell.
    You can make them burn if you have the right light.

bob tindale
    Participant

I would love to see a article on the process of the conversion to Appleton 112 or 551 from what looks like utility spotlights. How does Barry do this?

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I would love to see a article on the process of the conversion to Appleton 112 or 551 from what looks like utility spotlights. How does Barry do this?

I send Barry a message Bob.. hopefully he can shed some more light on what he did. If he does, I will add it to this post.

David Conrad
    Participant

Gee, I always thought Appleton 112s were beautiful lights. So much so that over the years I’ve used them on three cars I built for myself and a few for other people.

I’m pretty sure Barry feels much the same as you do David.  What it appears he is doing is taking what I believe is a service vehicle type spot with a less desirable shape and using the “dummy” spot housing to create the look of the 112 or 551 with all the proper workings (handles, etc.).  Pretty clever!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Torchie
    Participant

Agreed Dave.

As the availability of the originals goes down and the prices continue to climb there needs to be an acceptable alternative.

Looks like Barry has one.

I  believe that the 551’s had the push botton switches didn’t they? Here is a handle pic of a 550 that is for sale near me(sort of).

And The 112’s handles and switches looked like a lot of other Appletons ?

Would love to see a stand alone thread on how he does this as well Rik.

Torchie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Looks to me like he is taking the part that mounts to the outside of the inexpensive spotlight bucket and is putting it inside the dummy buckets and then is bolting that bracket from the outside of the dummy bucket through two of the original bracket mount holes. He then reattaches that as a unit it to the inexpensive handles.

Torchie
    Participant

Looks to me like he is taking the part that mounts to the outside of the inexpensive spotlight bucket and is putting it inside the dummy buckets and then is bolting that bracket from the outside of the dummy bucket through two of the original bracket mount holes. He then reattaches that as a unit it to the inexpensive handles.

Could be Ian. It doesn’t look like the bucket mounting  flange is on the outside of the dummy bucket in the profile Picture with the partial handle on it.

I guess I would try to use the flange to mount the dummy bucket shell. You can get tiny bolts that look like rivet heads.

Torchie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Could be Ian. It doesn’t look like the bucket mounting flange is on the outside of the dummy bucket in the profile Picture with the partial handle on it. I guess I would try to use the flange to mount the dummy bucket shell. You can get tiny bolts that look like rivet heads. Torchie

To me the very last picture Rik posted shows the outside bracket from the cheap spotlight inside the dummy bucket. A brand new bucket with a dirty old mounting bracket inside it that curves way up at the back just like the ones originally on the outside of the spotlight with handles.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

From Barry…

The key to Appleton spotlights install…14 ” long drill run in thru fixture held by mounting bracket.

Drill guide in place….ready for the plunge…no guess where your headed.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

From Barry….

Ok…left APPLETON on..this one has the short shaft for steering wheel clearence…

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Ok guys.. I got some more info from barry about how he did the Spotlights.

From Barry….

In the past I had a heard of spotlights… I found that Appleton produced many many variables… some for companies like BF Goodrich and Firestone… and others.
    Some had script on the shells others didn’t.

One thing for sure… no one (custom car builders) wanted the little shells… so I bought a few just for the handles and inside hardware… Right spot bases were EXTREMELY RARE..they were stamped L and R. (indicating most of these were used on the drivers side only)

Also they had templates you cut out and put on your windshield posts which clearly showed where to drill.
    Using template you drilled holes for base mount…then put them on with sheet metal screws.
    Then you inserted drill guide in base and drilled rigjt on thru to inside..coming out exact.

The rest of the mount was easy…inside brackets on the light handles were secured to dash or garnish molding.
    I had to buy a special 14 inch long drill which is slightly longer than the spotlight shaft.

Ok heres the spotlight 450…sell cheap…take the light out and unbolt spot shell from shaft.

Very carefully… drill out 3 rivets that hold spot on base… then enlarge dummy spot shell so base fits snugly thru…take you time you want it tight.

So now you VERY VERY carefully… install base on inside of dummy shell… 3 holes will need to be drilled to align with base…be sure if you miss its diaster time.

Counter sink your holes and use stainless machine screws to attach the shell to base… looks like this finished one.

Showing a 1950’s dummy shell… I used to have many of them picked up at swap meets… they were heavy metal and stock Appleton light would fit inside… so lights would burn.
    They are pretty hard to find nowadays though!

Here’s a pair I just did..BEWARE these new dummys are really crap metal…very easy to distort… so take it easy.
    Save some cash doing the lights… I paid under $75.00 for these two.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 311 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.