Custom Car Chronicle

Ayala "Green Gold" Paint: My search

Home Forums CCC Forum Ayala "Green Gold" Paint: My search

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

Gday Ian, go with your heart and you’ll always be happy. Acrylic will hold up well for years and years. It’s not like it will be left in the weather. Just remember that our fragile human body is deteriorating quicker. Get it on and enjoy it. After years of being around old cars, sometimes the imperfection in things is part of the story. Perfection can be cold.
    Also remember the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Glad you are passionate about preserving the knowledge.

Tony
    Participant

IMHO acrylic lacquer is very good paint. Where I live the sun’s UV can kill and destroy pretty much anything, yet acrylic lacquer paint jobs hold up perfectly well. I’m talking about jobs I have done and many, many others I have observed over the years.

Now, old wives tales etc. about anything can come about via several reasons. A common one is that many folk have poor practices when doing something, or are just plain dumb and unskilled. These people can screw anything up, including getting paint on a car. They have way too thick filler, putty, primer, coats of paint, poor prep, incorrectly mixed paint, mixed brands of product and poor application. Any and all of these things can affect the performance of a painted finish. Some people even used to spray it with a vacuum cleaner attachment! All these crimes are or have been committed often over the years (I’ve seen them), so is it any wonder some people say negative things about acrylic lacquer?

Acrylic lacquer is not perfect, nothing is, but when applied properly it is a good product. Plus, it looks at home on an old car.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Thanks guys. The paint is actually nitrocellulose lacquer not acrylic. Manuel suggested I clear it with acrylic lacquer once I get the colour down to give it more UV protection. I am far less concerned about the sun here as I am about the winter as we rarely get over 30C and if it does it would be for a couple of days at a time once or twice a year. You are correct Quentin it won’t be left out in the weather but we can hit lows of -50C here in the winter so I was more concerned about the how much it might contract but seeing how the sample has reacted with the wild fluctuations we have had in the weather this winter have definitely put my mind at ease somewhat.

Tony
    Participant

There’s a guy down in Melbourne here that painted his deuce roadster in black nitro lacquer 5 or so years ago…sourced from a place that restores pianos! Seems to be holding up.

In any case, good luck with it. I don’t understand anything below 10 C (and that’s COLD) so I can’t comment about those conditions!

J.B.
    Participant

I had a discussion with my paint store about using acrylic for the LaSalle when it comes to that. He said that it’s a very soft paint that doesn’t hold up much. If I wanted to go vintage style, he preferred cellulose lacquer. Since I will aim for a deep black paint, I wonder what I shall use. I am no expert in these materials and take gladly professional suggestions. This will be an expensive car, so when I paint the car in final color, I want it to be beautiful and functional for years to come. With everything restored, I want to be able to drive it anytime I want. But it’s never gonna be a daily driver. I have other cars for that. One is called V-O-L-V-O… πŸ˜€

Quentin Hall
    Participant

My daily driver for the past 3 years was a Volvo XC 70 wagon. I think a cheap watch, dropped on the road, trampled on by a hundred passing elephants would run better. Never ending expensive problems. I blew it up two months ago on my parents driveway. If I bang my thumb with a hammer and want to yell the most vulgar vulgarity I can think of,I yell “Volvo”!! It had a lovely paint job tho. Sorry Ian, but I had to get it out.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

LOL!! No problem Quentin there is always room for a good humorous anecdote.

Tony
    Participant

Acrylic lacquer is ‘soft’ for some time. The longer you can leave it before wet sanding and polishing the better. The sun here helps in that regard.

Bickford
    Participant

Went to the paint store yesterday with the info Ian provided with the paint card. It was hard to find a place that uses BASF paint. Of course the mercury top left. Under the Mercury is the color that Ian had mixed by a paint shop( not the paint by Manuel). The top and bottom right is the paint I had mixed up. The bottom left is the paint in direct sun light and top is turned away from the sun.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Hey Jason I forgot to ask you tonight what type of paint is it? Enamel, single stage waterbourne? The pictures are much better on my laptop than on my phone it looks a lot less green than mine. Looks really close to what I had hoped mine would be. Did they put the formula on the side of the can if so maybe post that I would like to compare it to what mine is.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

That looks really nice Jason. Will be interesting to see a larger piece painted with it.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Venus Martin super fine metallic powders available from the Neuberg & Neuberg nnigroup

Goldleaf-Powders-image

And below Crescentbronze metallic powder from The Crescent Bronze Company.

crescentlogocrescentChart

Bickford
    Participant

It only took me 3 or 4 years to get this panel from Justin Mozart. This panel was color matched to the original lime gold of the Wally Welch Mercury. I took it to a master color mixer Billy Crewl. He matched it perfectly and soon the start of my chevy being painted this original color will happen.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Rik Hoving.
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Oh YES! That will be amazing.

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.