Custom Car Chronicle

Ayala "Green Gold" Paint: My search

Home Forums CCC Forum Ayala "Green Gold" Paint: My search

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Well I managed to kind of hijack the Bettancourt thread with this topic so I figured I should start my own thread on it to try and focus the discussion and see if I can get any more info. Basically I am trying to figure out the Green Gold color that the Ayala’s used on the Wally Welch and Louis Bettancourt Merc’s. I realize it may not have been the exact same color on both but I would guess they were pretty similar.

Rik was kind enough to post a couple of pictures of the Welch car when Justin Mozart was having it restored that show the original color and a color deck swatch that matches. He doesn’t know if that information was recorded or not. If anybody knows if Justin or the shop the car was restored at kept the info or have any contact info for either I would appreciate any info you have. Maybe someone recognizes the color deck being held up against the paint and I could go from there?
    Welch paint
    Welch paint 2

I am not fanatical about getting the exact color but would definitely like to get something close to paint the Custom 1937 Chevy Pickup that I am currently building so even if you have any ideas about how the color was developed it would be a step in the right direction. Was it a metallic? Was it based off of production color of the time and modified? I know they utilized the gold powder and it was lacquer but other than that I don’t know much. Tony posted a picture of an Australian Falcon color in the Bettancourt thread (Acid Rush) that might be a starting point for a modern color but I am open to any and all suggestions.

Oh and here is the truck I am wanting it for:
    Truck
    Truck 2

Sorry for the crappy pictures but I am building it in a one car garage with a sloped driveway in front of it so getting it in and out for pictures in no small task.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tony
    Participant

Kia also has a useful colour from 2011/2012

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ian Gibbons
    Participant

That one might even be better!! Thanks Tony!

Hey Ian,

I like your colour idea for that good looking pick-up! At the risk of taking the thread sideways (I don’t have an answer regarding the Welch colour) I wanted to show a buddy’s sedan painted in a colour taken from the Sikkens “custom colours” chart. It is a very nice lime-gold.

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Dave I really like that color as well although a little hard to see it with the lighting. Like I said I am not hardcore fanatical about it being exactly the Ayala color but something close would be nice. I am unlikely to get anyone to mix me lacquer in Canada anyways so I know it will have to be a BC/CC so it’s not going to be an exact match no matter what I do.

Do you know what color that is in the Sikkens chart? I actually work in the autobody industry and one of my best customers (who I was strongly considering getting my paint from) is a Sikkens jobber and could probably do a spray out for me to see what it is like.

Bickford
    Participant

I posted on the wrong thread. Ill talk with just tomorrow about the color. I do know why he chose the later color. he said that all he knew of the car being so build it back to that. which i understand cause it is his car. at least he didnt do anything crazy with it.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

That’s cool I saw your post on that thread as well which is where this conversation started. I appreciate your help!! It is good he realized what he had and didn’t do anything crazy with it. Thankfully the Barris version is not a huge departure from the Ayala version so other than the color and a few added grill teeth it still retains most of what the Ayala’s did.

Slow getting back – sorry. Regarding the colour used on the sedan – I’m not sure of the name, but I’m reasonably sure it is still in the latest swatches of Sikkens “custom colours”. There were two golds, one of which I used on an OT car named either Sierra or Sahara Gold, the other was greener than I wanted for mine, but that is the one my buddy chose for his and it looks awesome! If you are old enough and built enough model cars back in the day you might remember Paktra’s “Lime Gold Metalflake”. This colour is very reminiscent of that shade. Lime gold is a perfect description!

Best of luck on the build. I will be watching!

-Dave

p.s. Here’s an outdoor pic which may better depict the shade (excuse the wheels and tires as he had not decided what to use and I Photoshopped a suggestion):

Jus' creepin' along..

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Thanks Dave!! I am going to see my Sikkens distributor tomorrow so I will pick his brain a litle.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Well so far the Sikkens thing didn’t pan out as the jobber I was working with doesn’t have the custom color swatches. He did tell me however that he is pretty sure that the color deck in the pictures Rik provided is a Glasurit deck so it is on to one of my customer who distribute Glasurit to see if they can identify the deck and maybe I can roughly figure out what swatch is in the picture. I will report back with what I find out.

Too bad about the Sikkens option Ian. For what it’s worth – I spoke to my buddy and got the paint information. Of course you would want to see a sample and I can’t help with that even though I think it might be just what you are looking for. Anyway, the colour is “Pine Green Metallic” (which doesn’t begin to accurately describe it as it is more gold than green) SEC9968. Best of luck in your search!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Thanks Dave. That helps. I do have a few other options for Sikkens dealers to go see. The one I talked to just doesn’t do a lot of custom paint sales and Sikkens charges them some thing like $1800 for the Custom color deck. I did see some other pictures of your buddies car on the Canadian Rodders forum and it does look good. I am in Saskatoon quite a bit for work so maybe one time I am out there I could arrange to take a look at it in person to see what it is like. Thanks for your help!!

You’re welcome any time Ian. I’m sure my pal would be glad to let you see the car!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Quick update. The color deck in the picture Rik provided is a old BASF colormax deck but as luck would have it the jobber I discussed this with is missing that particular deck. I will have to talk to another one of my customers who distribute BASF and see if they happen to have that particular deck. I will report back.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update Ian.

At least you know which color deck was used… now the right color on it needs to be found…

I guess no phone-call was even done to Justin, or he was unwilling to help out?

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.