Custom Car Chronicle

Art and Industry in Jackson Hole, Wyoming

Home Forums CCC Forum Art and Industry in Jackson Hole, Wyoming

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

I like to think of custom cars as the intersection of art and industry. That is, we start with mass produced objects (cars) and turn them into art using various industrial arts methods. Likewise, custom car aficionados often have a keen appreciation for the arts: painting, sculpture, graphic design, music, etc.

This all leads into a very cool experience I had while on a two week vacation/family reunion/wedding I had in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. On our last day in Jackson, August 12, 2017, my wife Joanna and I attended the Jackson Hole Art Fair. I wore my Custom Car Chronicle jacket as it was pretty cool that morning.

After strolling around for awhile, I spotted some terrific land and water scapes.  I really like impressionist work and these paintings appeared pointillist (made up of colored dots).  But on closer inspection, they were composed of very straight short strokes.  I walked in for a better look.

The artist, Ken Ober, saw the logo on my jacket and asked if Custom Car Chronicle was a magazine. I replied that it was a website run by a friend.

As the paintings drew me in, Ken mentioned that he did the work with an automotive restoration tool and pulled it out.

I replied, “That’s a Beugler Striping kit, I have one at home just like it!”

Then the artwork made sense. Ken calls it linearist. I thought you would get a kick out of his work so I am posting a few photos, with his permission.

For more information and pics:

kennethober.com

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

IMG_20170812_111800992

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

IMG_20170812_104117983

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

IMG_20170812_104124225

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

This one features another auto restoration medium, silver foil for the water, as well as the striping style.

IMG_20170812_112403539

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

The poster for the show, done by another artist, was very cool, too.  Done in Western Deco style which was popular when the Grand Tetons Park opened in the late ’20s.

Art Fair Poster

Beautiful artwork!  I have a Beugler as well Dave..  Do you suppose we could create artwork as outstanding as Mr. Ober’s?  Not me, that’s for sure!  Yet another example of how many things art and automotive collide.  Thanks for introducing a bit of culture to my life!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

I could not compete with Ken’s work, but I may just give it a go. I have done some very amateur oil paintings (“happy little trees”) and enjoy the relaxation and creativity it brings.

I could not compete with Ken’s work, but I may just give it a go. I have done some very amateur oil paintings (“happy little trees”) and enjoy the relaxation and creativity it brings.

More relaxing than building custom cars??  Lol!

I had always preferred pencil and pen&ink work over colour for some reason – then we got an Apple computer at work.  That tool put a real dent in my old ways..

Do you have any of the optional wheels for your Beugler?

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Torchie
    Participant

Great Art.

My Beugler is over 30 years old ( as are some of my striping brushes). Now I may have to dig it out and try my some what shaky hand at this.

Torchie

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.