Custom Car Chronicle

Anybody know the '36 3 Window that was chopped in the Barris book?

Home Forums CCC Forum Anybody know the '36 3 Window that was chopped in the Barris book?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bryan Rusk
    Participant

In one of the Barris books, there are pictures of Sam chopping a ’36 3 window with no mention of the car’s owner. I know they chopped lots of cars, many which may not have been finished at their shop or had the notoriety of some of the famous ones.

Anyone familiar with the car in the pics? It was noted that 4″ was taken out of the roof which is a lot for a ’36, so it would probably have been a heavy one.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I have always wondered about that ’36Ford 3-window Coupe at the Barris Shop as well. A nice set of progress photos in the Kustoms Technique book Volume 1. So far I have never been able to id the car, or found more photos of it with the completed chop. There are no other cars in the background of any of the published photos, so its also very hard to tell when the car was chopped. It was at the Atlantic Blvd Shop, so it must be 1950, or earlier.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Torchie
    Participant

Love the picture of Sam with the air chisel/cutter.

We used to use those in the body shop when we were in a hurry tearing apart damaged sheet metal on cars……:)

Torchie

Bryan Rusk
    Participant

Any possibility it’s the Lynn Yakel car? I know that was an Ayala build, but is there any evidence that they chopped it?

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I would say No to the car being the Lynn Yakel Ford.

The Yakel Ford was done earlier, there are photos of the Yakel car at the Ayala shop with ’48 plates. The car Sam is chopping was done at the Lynwood shop, and they moved there in 1950.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.