Custom Car Chronicle

1954 Chevy 210 post custom build

Home Forums CCC Forum 1954 Chevy 210 post custom build

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Connole
    Participant

I haven’t been on here too much or updated in a while, but things have not been sitting idle. I haven’t really taken any photos because the current work isn’t very interesting. I redid the rear suspension, and got the rest of the frame prepared to go to powder coat. So, now that the frame is off at the powdercoater, I’m getting suspension and engine cleaned up and ready for frame assembly once it comes back.
    Got the engine cleaned up,shot some black on it, got the valve covers and intake polished and slapped all the shine bits on there.   Can’t wait for the frame to come back so I can see some of this stuff together.  Hopefully this week.

IMG_7409

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Looks killer!

Kyle Connole
    Participant

Got the frame back from powder coating on Thurs.  Got the engine and trans and front suspension on this weekend.  I get my rear end back tomorrow, then I can make it a roller.

You’ll have to excuse the suspension for now, once the car is done, you won’t be able to see the modern stuff, not even in the engine compartment.  I’m not against using some modern parts, but I am against seeing them.

IMG_7450

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ian Gibbons
    Participant

HAHA I love that you are assembling it on the front walk. Looks good.

Kyle Connole
    Participant

HAHA I love that you are assembling it on the front walk. Looks good.

Thanks Ian.

Haha, it only looks like that.  Thats actually the back of the driveway, as photographed from inside the garage.

The house has a little bit of a weird layout due to past add ons.  It’s very long and kind of has 3 front doors.  Always funny to see the look of confusion on a solicitors face when they go to the second door and have the same person answer as the previous door.

I hoped to get the frame to a roller tonight, but I’m an idiot and I ordered the wrong differential carrier for my new rear end gears, gotta wait a few days now.

Kyle Connole
    Participant

Hey guys,

I haven’t been on here for quite a while.  I got my frame pretty much wrapped up and the body put back on the frame. However there isn’t much progress beyond that.

I had a bunch of parts and a couple cars stored at my Grandpas house, but he moved to my Uncles lakehouse in Texas, They sold his house, so I had to move everything to my parents garage/driveway, and there isn’t room to work.

However, I just opened escrow on my own house with enough garage space to get back to work, so hopefully fairly soon I’ll be able to get back to my own projects finally.

Tony
    Participant

That’s good. Very good.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Congrats on the house Kyle! I remember you talking about how difficult it was to find something last year so that is great news. I am looking forward to updates.

Kyle Connole
    Participant

Thanks Ian!  Yea, I was actually looking for a shop space to rent that I was also going to live in.  But, after looking for so long and coming up empty, I was getting worried because next summer my parents are moving, so I’ll lose that storage as well.  I started thinking, what if I rent a place, and then need to move from there after a while?  It takes so long to find something I can afford, what will I do with my stuff?  So that kind of morphed into finding a place of my own to buy.

It wasn’t easy to find something to buy that worked for me that was in budget either.  I’m increasing my commute by more than I would like, but the place check off all my other boxes, so I think it’ll work out well.

I’m looking forward to updates too!  It’s been quite a while since I’ve been able to do any car stuff for myself, so I’m ready to get back at it!

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Congratulations on the House! That is so  exciting. I’ve followed your build here too and  really enjoy your updates. I know how hard it is to keep forward momentum on our own projects. I have to say  and agree with everyone here that your craftsmanship is inspiring and topnotch. Thank you for continuing your posts.

Mitch

Kyle Connole
    Participant

Thanks Mitch!  I’m a first time homeowner, so I’m pretty excited, but nervous too.  I managed to find a pretty cool place that a poor car guy like me could afford in southern California.  I’ll post a photo when I’m closer to getting through escrow.

Thanks so much for the kind words on my work.  To be honest, I feel bad when I don’t update after people tell me something I did is inspiring in any way to them.  I feel it’s paying it forward from all the inspiration I’ve gotten from others who share what they do over the years.  It’s really the least I can do for the hot rod and custom community.  I’m excited to contribute again soon, so hopefully that’ll translate to a lot of progress!

Tom Nielsen
    Participant

Really nice metal work and I love the stance of your two-door 1954 Chev.  Can’t wait to see more of your good work.

Kyle Connole
    Participant

Thank you Tom!

So, I’m far enough through the process that I feel confident showing photos since everything is approved and the escrow company just needs to finish doing their thing.

The house was built in 1928, and I think will be a great place for me to focus on all my projects.  It’s out of the way, so I can have some solitude, and make noise, and get some work done.

IMG_8143

IMG_8144

The garage is detached and to the left of the house, I’ll get some photos of that while I’m moving my stuff in there.

I’m pretty fired up to get in there and get back to work.

Tony
    Participant

Speaking of being fired up, you be careful of fires with all those trees close to the house. We’ve already had fires in this country before winter was even over plus there has been a pile of our guys over there fighting fires in CA recently.

Just sayin.

Place looks cool though. Congrats.

Kyle Connole
    Participant

Very true.  Finding insurance wasn’t all that easy because of the fire threat.  Hopefully it won’t ever be an issue.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.