Custom Car Chronicle

47 Merc Coupe

Home Forums CCC Forum 47 Merc Coupe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    GrantMaclean
    Participant

Hey guys.

Thought I’d start a build thread on my Merc. I’ve found that there is a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum and I believe it helps to have more than one set of eyes when building a car.

Anyway, I haven’t quite finished the Chevy yet but I found myself in a position to acquire a 47 Mercury in return for doing the panel work on a friend’s Cadillac.

He had already started to chop the car and was going for a hardtop style, or 3 window (i’m not quite sure). He had also started fitting Jaguar suspension to the car which is a little unfortunate for me as I’d prefer the original but i think the Jag front and rear end will stay unless i can find another chassis for cheap.

Basically my plans are to build a late 40’s style custom, I don’t plan on using any exterior parts later than 1949, however the motor and suspension may be later.

Here’s the car next to the Cadillac.

Here she is all loaded up.

I’m a happy man!

GrantMaclean
    Participant

the chevy and the Merc.

I couldn’t help myself, I quickly made a fender skirt from cardboard and fitted some tyres i had laying around. It will eventually get some super cushions with the 4 1/4 white wall so these ones are just for mock up.

I bought this wheeling machine a few months ago and wanted to get it cleaned up before I started building the car. From what i could find it seems to be a late 40’s early 50’s Australian built machine, which I thought was cool seeing as though that’s the era I’m shooting for.

My plans for the chop are a straight pillared, drip rail-less smooth style like the Lopez/Marcia Campbell/Ayala Fords.

I particularly like the Ayala 42 chop.

I’m still unsure about whether I should re chop the A pillars, currently it has 11″ of windshield in the middle and the Lopez ford(re creation anyway) has a 8 3/4. I’m thinking of at least taking another inch, but maybe another inch and a half from the A pillars.

Once I get the A pillars sorted I’ll work my way back to the door frames, then the Quarter window, then I’ll sort out the flow of the roof and rear window placement. Not the way I would have chopped it from stock but I think it’s the best way to go about now that half the top is missing.

I’ve started paint stripping the car, this is as far as I got on Friday and I’m now on holidays for a week, so when I get back home I’ll sand it a little more before I have to go back to work. Hopefully start on the roof chop the first weekend after I return to work.

I look forward to hearing everyone’s opinion and welcome all advise.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

I look forward to following this!

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Wow Grant. Congrats. The English wheel is a great score. So too is the Merc. I have a mate up there somewhere who picked up a 49 Cad engine and box. I’ll try and find what he is doing with it.

I actually like where the top sits. I think the Ayala chop would be classed as a heavy chop. I guess I prefer a more conservative look. I guess I always factor in practicality cos I’m tall. You have a few years ahead of kids seats and other mundane chores like lost dummies and Lego to be retrieved from the backseat ahead.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Now that is a GOOD way to start the new year for sure!

As for the rechop on the A-Pillars. Not sure where theĀ 8 3/4 inch windshield height comes from, but I assume it comes from the Lopez Recreation on the HAMB. If it does…. in my personal opinion I feel that the recreation has been chopped to much. I feel the amount of chop on that 41 Ford does not compare to well with the old photos of the real Lopez Ford.

I would strongly advise to forget about theĀ 8 3/4 inch windshield height, and just look closely at what you see, and get the door window frames mocked up in place, or at least the tops so that you can see how that looks with the current amount of chop.

This will be fun!

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Doug Charter
    Participant

HiĀ  Grant……..Great project…..just be aware of the windscreen aperture of the chop ..certain rules with ADR’s if you want to register car…..get a check with an engineer …..I have 11″ on my CaddyĀ  and it was minimum pass from where I was seated at the steering wheel …….

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Chiming in, to sing with the chorus. Ā Less is more, often, when it comes to those proportions that sing: STYLE. Ā Studying your Chevy, you chopped perfectly for proportions. Ā Already, looking at all the angles you’ve shared in the above photos, what is there now seems to work well with those rounded shapes. Ā Speaking of which, the skirt profile repeats that rear fender arch perfectly, too.

Happy New Year!

James D
    Participant

HereĀ“s a 41 I photoshopped that I thought came out really well. Might be worth trying something similar if you like it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

Rik made a really good point about getting the door frames in. Presently it is like a hardtop. With door frames in suddenly the opening will be a good 1nch and a half less anyhow. Same goes for the windshield opening. With rubber and chrome molding you are an inch and a half smaller.

There are a few over chopped cars getting around in Brisbane and they just look too hammered.

It’s like the sweet spot on a tennis racket. You don’t need to be told when you’ve found it. . . You just know.

GrantMaclean
    Participant

Thanks for all the replies. I agree on the Lopez Re creation, I don’t believe it’s right either.

I understand what you’re saying Quentin with the door frames lowering the height. I will do what Rik said and mock up the door frames in the current spot before I go cutting anymore out.

As for James’ photoshopped 41, it’s an interesting concept. I don’t think I’ve seen one done that way before, but I’m pretty strict on going with the straight pillars, I’ve never really been a fan of slanted pillars on anything but 40’s Chevys. Also I’d like to try and eliminate the flat spot between the rear window and deck lid.

I know a lot of people like to see mild chops but I’ve always been a fan of hammered chops on these cars, most of the cars done in the 40’s did have heavy chops on them. I also wish I had a chopped a little more out of my chevy when I did it, just to get the same look as the Larry Ersnt car.

I really like the look of this chop here, whether or not it is the Ayala built 42 I don’t know, but it looks really great to me. I’d be really happy to achieve a look like this one.

I also really like this one, but I’d like to see a slight change to the quarter window shape.

GrantMaclean
    Participant

Also something I have to take into consideration is the extra length of the front end on the Merc compared to the Fords. I don’t know if the same chop on a ford might look silly on a merc, might make the front end look way too long.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

The “LIF” black and white picture is the Gil Ayala Ford.. and yes it is perfect.

Good point on the extra front fender length… I think it will matter a bit, and the chop should be slightly less than what you would find perfect on a Ford.

I also like these 41-48 Ford Mercury coupes to be heavily chopped. It makes them look so amazing.

Here is one Barris did around 49. At first I thought it was the same car as the Ford you posted as last… but sadly it is not. And yes on that one the quarter windows need a bit more opening/curve at the top. (the working flip glass frame in that one also does not help the looks)

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

James D
    Participant

As for Jamesā€™ photoshopped 41, itā€™s an interesting concept. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen one done that way before, but Iā€™m pretty strict on going with the straight pillars, Iā€™ve never really been a fan of slanted pillars on anything but 40ā€™s Chevys.Ā 

I know itĀ“s a personal thing with the slanted pillars – itĀ“s just that for me, the door window looks far too long on a chopped long door coupe. Makes the roof appear longer, so you lose a lot of the forward leaning dynamic, and then thereĀ“s the disproportionate size of the door window compared to the coupe window. They just look wrong to me.

KingKustoms
    Participant

Can’t wait to see what you do with this one…judging by your Chevy, it’s going to be great!

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

glen dale caldwell
    Participant

that looks like a great start. congrats !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.