Custom Car Chronicle

1942 Ford project

Home Forums CCC Forum 1942 Ford project

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Michu
    Participant

…once again some small updates: Now it‘s time for some disassembly to have better access to the engine, wich needs some tune up work and also the wiring needs some attention. While doing this i will convert the Ford to 12 Volts, i already have ordered an stock generator wich somebody had converted to 12 Volts. And also some little rust repairs have do be done in the front area.

I’ve worked on some other details, for example i changed the rims wich where 16 inch non Ford rims before. In between i‘ve found some 40s Ford rims and i have modified the ripple disc hubcaps to fit. I’ve cut free the mounting rings of some stock dog dish hubcaps and welded them to steel rings i‘ve made, and then i have screwed it to the back of the ripple disc (through the holes you can see in the ring, red plastic ring isn’t drilled yet in the picture). I wanted to avoid that they sit flush on the rim because removing would be difficult i assume (especially when trim rings are mounted too), so i made a spacer ring out of hard plastic. Now the hubcaps can be easily removed by hand, i hope they pass the test when i drive it some day. But i think it will hold well because of the stock mounting ring. Here are some under construction pictures:

93C8CB31-C869-4228-B1DF-6539977658C6

2E1A162A-5CEC-4C77-B938-92C6F8BA4B5A

9F581DD0-09EB-4894-81AD-448B533F4467

66577AE7-A08F-43E1-A62C-79ABB23E7453

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Michu! Very nice. I did something similar with the ’41 Cadillac caps for my ’41 Buick. The Buick wheels are more of a standard type center like your Fords. I made a tool to pry them off the wheel though too. Cadillac had some type of tool, I think.

Perhaps Quentin can enlighten us.

Mild Mitch

Michu
    Participant

Thanks Mitch! I‘d be curious to see that tool, i think i have to made one too, because once the trim rings are mounted there will be just a very narrow slot left around the hubcap. Maybe just a hook made from flat steel will do it.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Michu,

I made essentially what you just suggested. A flat with a hooked end. Mounted on a round tube for a handle.
    I am on a short Family vacation, holiday for those outside the USA. 😉

When I return I will get a photo. It is pretty simple, just a tool to gently pry the caps off.

Mitch

Michu
    Participant

That sounds great Mitch, have a nice vacation!

kristopher hop
    Participant

Mt 2 cents. I love the Buick grill. Don’t know that I would cut it down but if I did I would raise it up as well. Maybe a body colored filler piece that went between the bottom of the shortened grill and the gravel pan. I prefer bigger grills on these Fords as I think the smaller ones with a filler piece above them to mate to the hood makes the front end look “Nose” heavy. And seems like way too much area around the headlights. JMHO. Not that you need it. You are doing great! Torchie

I’d love to do something like that to my 47, but I don’t my fab skills are quite up to par

Michu
    Participant

Here‘s a small update on my Ford, in between i have replaced the water pumps, hoses and motor mounts, flushed the engine and i have installed the 12 volt generator i bought on ebay some time ago (it was converted from a 6 volt) and a 12 volt regulator (and coil of course), but the battery doesn‘t get charged, i have to figure out what‘s wrong. I also have changed to negative ground.
    At least the engine runs and today i have pulled out the original exhaust. I had ordered some cheap headers (ok, not really cheap with shipping to germany on top), but they fit. Also a long time ago i‘ve bought a set of nos Hollywood deep tone steel pack mufflers wich will go under the car, cant‘t wait to hear them! I have never built an exhaust before, i bet it will become an adventure, but i would say it’s doable, it doesn’t need to be perfect. Here‘s how it looks right now:

ACC8B312-9EA1-450E-A015-7D8463CD0997

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Michu!

Sometime ago I wrote that I’d post photos of the tool to remove my wheel covers, or hubcaps. Sorry I’ve taken so very long.

Here are those pics…20230405_14005720230405_14004720230405_14004120230405_14064120230405_14054120230405_140538

Michu
    Participant

Hello Mitch, glad to hear from you! Thanks for the pictures, the hose for protection is a very good idea! Your hubcap construction looks very similar to mine:

4C26007D-60A0-4A18-A0D3-0CC37491173FI‘ve noticed that my hubcap is a bit off center when it‘s mounted, although i‘ve measured accurately before i‘ve screwed the ring on the hubcap. It must be because the mounting ring of the Ford hubcap i‘ve used has a slight slant to one side if looked at it from the side, so i have to find a way to find the center and remount the ring in an slight off center position to get it right. The other stock Ford snap rings i have are also slightly slanted to one side, it seems they where made that way and i think it‘s not visible when used with the dog dish hubcap, because of the small diameter.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Are the wheels with clips or the bumps to hold the cap in place? With the clips it may have some room to move the caps slightly. Mine are on Buick wheels with clips.

Mitch

Michu
    Participant

Mitch, they have the bumps, so i have to reposition the attached ring somehow.
    Clips are definiteley more practical for modified hubcaps.

Yesterday i‘ve finally mounted the taillights, next i have to mount the new bigger bulb housings i‘ve made (with more space for reflection) from the back inside the fender. Tony inspired me to do this, because original there is not much space behind the glass and not a lot of reflection area.

And my newest plan is to weld the sunken license hole shut and mount the license plate on the bumper in a 49 Chevy guard. Not that i don‘t like sunken license plates anymore, just a new plan. About like in the picture below.

CF9E167E-F0AE-440C-A0BE-37C8D8AEBBC99BB5A2C0-BF03-4BCB-965A-FC8BC98EFDB8

Michu
    Participant

Now the hole is closed, i‘ve used a section of an abandoned VW Beetle trunk lid, the shape has matched pretty close. I have given each welding spot enough time to cool down, so there was no warpage around the panel.
    The inner housings of the taillights are also in place now, i‘ve welded studs to the inside of the fender and bolted them on.

02622350-67C8-48CB-B25B-4351F3E516E1

Michu
    Participant

The dual exhaust is nearly finished now, i‘ve spend about four days crawling under the car.  I‘ve used universal tubes in different shapes/angles (1  3/4 inch like the stock exhaust) and used the original tube as an guide to piece together the new tubes. I gave the part behind the rear axle a bit of a different shape to have a longer horizontal piece.

6A3F6C7B-7AB6-40E0-917C-FCB845C00E11

I had to modify the passenger side tube to give the panhard bar enough travel room, and on the drivers side i had to build an extra curve to clear the tank, that‘s the tube you see below, and then finished behind the car on the ground.
    806FA22B-8787-489B-88ED-5B01549638CC077FC58E-8E01-4F53-A669-B6A58C8AD572
    The sunken plate is nearly vanished now and the license guard is mocked up with zip ties.

And of course i will mount some chrome tips soon.

This is the piece i’ve built for the drivers side just behind the manifold (original there‘s a crossover pipe to the passenger side), it‘s a tight fit because it needs to be routed (that’s at least what i have figured out) very close under the frame as far away as possible to the wishbone and then it had to be snaked through between master brake cylinder, clutch pedal, gas line and emergency brake cable:

88A6610E-A0B0-4FEB-9A1E-DF70C14631BD3EAE15F9-18DA-4304-8CB6-A4EB2F9B78E2

Now i hope everything works the way i thought it would.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Michu.
    Larry Pointer
    Participant

My 2 cts worth:  Love the smooth look you created.  Takes me back to teenage “little pages ” days.  And dreams of California, and what could be, for a mild custom budget dream.

Most elegant, those re-do’s, Michu.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Great progress Michu.

Loved the inset plate, but also love the new look, just a different era. With the chrome tips this rear end will look soo good.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.