Custom Car Chronicle

1942 Ford project

Home Forums CCC Forum 1942 Ford project

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    James D
    Participant

That Buick grille looks perfect, just as it is.

Michu
    Participant

Thanks James! For the photo i had the gravel pan removed to have the grill sit a bit lower, before it was definitely too high. So when the gravel pan is back in place i have to shorten the grill a bit. But before i have to straighten the front, the drivers side fender sits nearly two inches lower than the passenger side fender…

Tony
    Participant

That Buick grille looks perfect, just as it is

I agree. I think it looks better with the top of the grille above the height of the bottom of the headlights.

I also think a 42 grille is very nice too.

Michu
    Participant

Yes, i agree too, the top of the grill should not be lower than the bottom of the headlights in this case.

Michu
    Participant

I’ve shortened the grill about an inch with photoshop, it’s still higher than the bottom of the headlights but it looks a bit less massive…

42w46

Torchie
    Participant

Mt 2 cents.

I love the Buick grill. Don’t know that I would cut it down but if I did I would raise it up as well.

Maybe a body colored filler piece that went between the bottom of the shortened grill and the gravel pan.

I prefer bigger grills on these Fords as I think the smaller ones  with a filler piece above them to mate to the hood makes the front end look “Nose” heavy. And seems like way too much area around the headlights.

JMHO. Not that you need it. You are doing great!

Torchie

Michu
    Participant

Your opinion is very welcome Torchie, thank you! …i see what you mean with ‘nose heavy’, and yes, now i see too that there is maybe too much area around the headlights when the grill is mounted low like this. I’ll have to think this over carefully before i cut anything!

Mild Mitch
    Participant

I agree too with Tony and Torchie. A little more grille in the case is good. Don’t minimize it. I really like the look. It reminds me of the very early cool custom styles you might see in the back of old magazines in the “Reader’s Cars”.

Also, this really has the look of some of the 40’s era stylized cast iron toy cars. This is a wonderful progression on your Ford in my humble opinion. What a great score.

Mitchell

Anonymous
    Inactive

Buick grill looks fantastic Michu. What a steal… 90 bucks👍🏻 and already in Germany 👍🏻👍🏻

IMO it should be mounted a little bit higher than in the old picture you found. I also think the area above the grill is a little bit too big. But im sure the end result will be awesome

Michu
    Participant

Thanks Mitch! Thanks Toby!

The more i look at it, the more i think the grill doesn’t need to be shortened like i thought first. I edited the picture a bit, now it looks better i think. And yes, it has similarities with an toy car!

And i also see that ‘Reader’s Cars’ factor, it’s rather a late 40s homebuilt style now. Complete different direction from what i had in mind when i started the project, but i’m really convinced about the new direction.

castbuick

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Oh Man! That last photo is it. Right on.

Mitchell

David Conrad
    Participant

That grill was made for that car. Keep going. You’re going in right direction.

Torchie
    Participant

Bravo!!!!!

Torchie

Michu
    Participant

Thanks for all the feedback/opinions, i really appreciate that and it has helped a lot!

Michu
    Participant

Here are some small updates on my project, in between all trim and taillight holes are filled and painted black (just touched up with rattle can for now), all four black tires are mounted and the interior comes together piece for piece, the latest addition is the freshly upholstered package tray: packagetray

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.