Custom Car Chronicle

41 Cadillac Carson Top Custom

Home Forums CCC Forum 41 Cadillac Carson Top Custom

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi ….. Q….I have the grin….but I have no strength in my hands from arthritis so I use an air operated tin snipes and 1mm cutting disks these days…rarely use oxy for cutting..acetylene is very expensive these days …and my tongue stays in …..my neighbor is a semi retired plumber and he has the best left-right tongue action when using tin snips…would probally win a competition……

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi Chris ….Here is a few pics of the skirt lock mechanism….I have copied the mech from my 49 Cad skirt …It a rod with a tight loop and actuates in a half pipe cam ..high and low position….I will post more pics when I have it welded up and fitted….will take a pic from inside fender with wheel removed when locked in position

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi ……Have cut the inner stiffener panels to fit today….had to cut to radius to fit around wheel well……just about ready to weld in

Attachments:
    Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi…..Going to repair the rockers before I weld in the quarter panel strengthener’s…dont look that bad …most would just patch repair but until you cut it off you dont see the major rust pitting eating the panel away from the inside…….best just cut it all off and replace it with new steel….the rockers on this body style ie; series62 has a curve and reverse radius so I have to make it in sections as I cant straight fold the edges…….spent the day cutting it off and cutting out new pieces for the new rockers…have made two of each as the other side will need to done as well ….there’s a lot of welding these… as all the seams need to be welded….repairing these rockers will put a lot of strength back into the floor pan

Attachments:
    Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi…Still working on the left rocker..there’s a lot of work in making these as they have 2 radius curves and 1 reverse radius curve in the top of the rocker…..there’s going to be a couple of hours welding these once they are set up….glad I’m not paying for them to be made…

Attachments:
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Impressive.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

1952B3b23

Nice work on the sills Doug. You cant ever have to many clamps!

-Chris

"The devils in the details"

Quentin Hall
    Participant

The Clamps is a Japanese punk rock cover band isn’t it??

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi Rick..Chris….Q…..Heres a bit more of the rocker….have welded the lower parts and inserted 3 gussets to keep it from distorting while welding the top reverse panel on…..rolled a piece of sheet metal around oxy bottle to shape the top panel….tacked it to the door sill and clamped into position …run the 4″ cutting disk along underneath to create a heat mark on the top and then trimmed it to suit the bottom rocker edge ready to be welded up…both these edges have a radius…like I said before ……glad I’m not paying for them

Attachments:
    1952B3b23

Looking good. That’s a neat idea with the 4″ cutting disc, never thought of that.

-Chris

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi….Have spent time on fabricating the left side quarter vent window frame….To find these are nearly impossible and if I could find a pair I couldn’t afford to buy them…..I saw a pair off a 41 Buick several years ago that needed work and re plating..fresh glass and they were $2500… They are the same as the Caddy…..I’m sure they are super rare….
    I have the skills to make them and would prefer to do this as they will be made out of brass section and will be new….the brass sections cost $120…there is 3 sections …. 3/4 channel ….1/8 x 1 1/2″ angle…….1/8 x 2″ ……..There’s just a lot of patience in measurement and need to braze weld it all together

The original seal and frame is used out off the 4 door I have and fits back onto the door inside the new brass frame….seals was available from Steels…..once finished they bolt onto the top of the door like originals …..I have never seen the real ones only pics but I think they would be made out of steel and die cast…..once they are finished …chromed…fitted to the door…..wont know it not original vent window

Attachments:
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

That is so nice Doug.
    I know of at least two guys here on the CCC that will be very interested in this.
    The finished vent window looks absolutely fantastic.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

1952B3b23

Great job on the vent window, looks awesome!

-Chris

J.B.
    Participant

I can take some pics of my buddys -41 convertible, if there is something you need to see. My 1940 LaSalle might be almost the same too.

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi JB….Would be nice to see how they fit onto the door….some pics of a frame by its self….does it have a mounting leg that fit inside the door…..it has to be a convertible….they are the only frame thats different……Thanks Doug

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 184 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.