Home Forums CCC Forum 41 Cadillac Carson Top Custom

This topic contains 158 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Quentin Hall 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 159 total)
  • Author

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I know you have mentioned it before.. but its interesting to read about the LPG Installation. This has been very popular with American cars from the 50’s to 80’s here in the Netherlands. Several companies specialized in importing US cars and then converting them to LPG. It used to be so much cheaper than regular gas. Prices have been going up for LPG, so I think its done less and less over here.

Thanks for the updates.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi Rick….I have been using LPG for 35 years on all my cars…Petrol is 1.50 lt and LPG is .50 cents liter ..makes a big difference when filling up.. One third the cost..Having the intake a dedicated setup…I use Impco products it returns the same MPG as petrol…it lets me drive 3 times the distance for same amount of outlay for fuel….I will show the LPG set up as I move along………Doug

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi…Have picked up the 5mm plate to make the X member stiffener..Have cut one to shape and still have to cut 3 holes to finish it……once theses are installed onto the chassis ..it will require a C section inserts each side as well…I will have these folded out off 5mm when I have the correct width between the top and bottom plates…Probally take a few days to finish this job……Doug

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi Here is the lower X member plate sitting in place

Attachments:

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi …..Have picked up the folded inserts for the side…spent a few hours drilling…there ready to install now…I will weld the top plate to the frame and bolt the lower plate and side fills as required …..

Attachments:

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Looks good Doug. I will be doing the same eventually. Was the 41 boxed on the sides like that or have you Custom beefed it up? Do you need to get a grease gun in to do the universal?
    Looks like 40s style GM customs are in!! At last we belong!

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi….. Q…. I was able to down load a couple of pics of a 41 convert on a hoist for sale…there was only one pic taken from the side and this was outside the hoist showing the exhaust system that had been replaced…there was just a slight glimpse of the X member and I’m pretty sure there was a side plate ..this would stand to reason to stop torsional twist…will sure make it dam strong…will definitely upgrade the frame…..engineer would probably require it for torsion test any way ………You can still get you hand inside the box either side if required…plus I have drilled two 2 1/2″ holes in the bottom plate to get a grease gun extension through to the uni…….should have it sitting in tomorrow sometime….will post some more pics once its in place…….
    I have to make a gravel tray for the rear bumper…mines missing …have a few pics but not quite sure where the edge sits…does it go under the beaver panel lip of does it sit on top….I know the tray is held in place between the bumper and the irons and just projects forward to the trunk area..very hard to get a pic from underneath to see whats going on???????

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi … Finished the x member install…looks super strong…laying underneath the car I’d swear it was a steam chest of a K class locomotive……

Attachments:

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi ….Was wondering how the splash pan (gravel tray) was held between the rear bumper and body…looks like its sandwiched held between the bumper irons and the bumper….I think I have sorted this out..next thing was to make one as it was missing off the the car..after viewing a few u tube vids think I have it near enough to suit my needs…not finished yet but well on the way…….

Attachments:

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi….Heres some more pics of the rear bumper tray….Have welded the strengthen ridge on and linished to finish…..

Attachments:

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Nice work Doug.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Nice work on the splash-pan.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi Q…Rick…Thanks for the tick on the splash pan…..Have been working on the rear wheel skirts…have welded a stiffener around the wheel arch for the skirt to fit in and make rigid support to lock them to…I want them smooth with the body line so there will be some lead loading around the fender and skirt edge…..I cut the skirt skins from the 4 door roof I cut off the car….I used the roof because its got some fullness in the panel so it should flow with the fender panel…the skirt frame is flat steel stock bent to shape….have copied the 49 Caddy locking system to hold skirts in place….I have to weld a filler in the rear of the fender well to flow with the rear of the skirt….a few pics of what happening….

Attachments:

1952B3b23
    Participant

Looking good! Thanks for sharing your progress.

You think you could take some pictures of the locking mechanism on the skirts? I always wondered how they get held in place.

Thanks,

-Chris

"The devils in the details"

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Can you get your wife to take a picture of you working away Doug? Just want to see the big grin on your face and see if your tongue sticks out the left or right when you use the tinsnips.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.