Custom Car Chronicle

41 Cadillac Carson Top Custom

Home Forums CCC Forum 41 Cadillac Carson Top Custom

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

Have you considered laying back the screen a few degrees Doug???? I did on the 39 and it made a huge difference to the sleekness. I presume you have seen the pics of the black 41 Carson topped beauty back in the day. One of my faves. Rik , we need an update on that car. !!!

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

I’m not sure but I think the c-body coupe has a more slanted windshield than the Fleetwood from the factory.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Regardless of if you may or may not take the roof on and off, I would probably make the allowance whilst building it. I am pretty sure Ron Brooks car with the Hall top had original latches intact. There is a pic somewhere.
    Perhaps a good side shot will help determine what the lean on the screen should be? There was a great night last year, I was sending Rik email pics back and forth and pulling the screen back and asking should I go back another 3/4 of an inch, doubting if it was a good idea. . . But it made a dramatic difference on mine.
    You need to retire to beautiful Queensland Doug!!

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I am pretty sure Ron Brooks car with the Hall top had original latches intact. There is a pic somewhere.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi ….Here is some pics of the screen angle ….protractor reads 52deg plenty enough for me…any more and I would have to cut the cowl under the screen….other wise the flat screen would run into all sorts of problems getting to fit without it cracking or getting it to seal..this one is a weird one as the seal around the glass is held in behind the windscreen frame and the garnish mold holds it in place…the stainless mold fits into (onto) the windscreen frame …must be a GM thing for those years……Doug

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

I cut my cowl only in the two corners, not along the full width and managed to pull it back quite a bit , maybe 40mm at the top with only a 6mm gap at the bottom.
    I know Bob Hoffman pulled his screen back as did the Don Lee Clark Gable 41.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi Ric…..The bottom Buick is nearly the same as mine about 2 deg difference ….. the top convertible is at about 40deg looks good ..but a bit steep for me …..Doug

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi …..Have made new inner quarter panel strength-er panels ..these are made 3 mm steel…have to make upper stiffeners as well to replace where the quarter window box’s were…these will have to wrap around to behind the rear seat into the trunk area…have a few photos of a striped out convertible to see what has to be fabricated to strengthen the quarter up ………Doug

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi ..Here are the extension braces to run along the quarter panel from the B pillar back to the wheel well brace…These are 3 mm thick and should be excellent torque braces for this section of the body……the original brace was short and was only a sheet metal box to catch water from the quarter window which only slid back in a slot…..Doug

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Really amazing work Doug.

I really appreciate you posting these progress photos. Hopefully it will inspire more people to transform the unwanted body styles into the more atractive body styles… or perhaps even better… phantom body styles.

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi ..Rik…..If helps anyone create their own piece of art out of unwanted 4 doors..I’m all for it…

Door trim plates arrived…they perfect..even all the screw holes line up with factory screw holes….Doug

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

Will be cool if we can one day park out two Cadillac ex 4 door customs side by side Doug.

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi…..Have been doing some research on the chassis X brace..have photos now ….The X member is reinforced so I will doing mine to get it up to specs…It took a while to find these photos and they were only of the bottom of the chassis …it was in you tube that I found a 41 Caddy convert being lifted of the chassis that I was to get a qualified site-ing that the X member was reinforced both top and bottom …it also has 2 inserts on each side..I will use a 5 mm plate 450 long x 360 wide and bolt it in 12 positions top and bottom with 3/8/ht’s………..Doug

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi …Working on the catwalk..had to re fab the cat walk to suit the coupe trunk lid ..it slightly wider than a sedan 2″ where the trunk hinge is mounted and the hinges are set 2″ wider as well….making inner sheet frame around the parcel shelf…the parcel shelf dosent have to be as low as the convertible (about 12″ lower)as there will be no roof bows that to have to retract and be hidden …this would normally be fully sheeted right around the inner rear but I have made a tube frame to support around the inside of the trunk to hold every thing in place….I have used a 1/2″ 5 ply back board for the rear seat to be attached to as per the coupe setup … this will also allow me to install a LPG tank behind the seat and get access to it if need be… shouldn’t be taking up space in the trunk…seat fit where it should…Doug

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 184 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.