Custom Car Chronicle

41 Cadillac Carson Top Custom

Home Forums CCC Forum 41 Cadillac Carson Top Custom

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi Ric…Heres a few pics from the rear..have to go and have a look at some 1″ square wire mesh for the center of the roof..still needs a couple of struts from front to back……

m_IMG_5007m_IMG_5008m_IMG_5009m_IMG_5010

Tom Kelly
    Participant

Damn that looks good Doug!

Did you happen to snap a full side on pic?

Doug Charter
    Participant

HiĀ  Tom …Ā  Go back one page!

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Thanks Doug… I was a bit afraid the front section was going to be to flat, but now I see what that was looking like it did in the garage photos.

As Quetin mentioned… the top has a real early 40’s vibe going.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi Ric..The last thing I would want is not to follow early custom vibe…I’m a Harry Westagard supporter and hope I’m capturing his type of work in my 41 Caddy

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Has the arrival of the black 41 lead to any discoveries with how they did things? It had a Hall top didnā€™t it.? Ā Is the a possibility of getting some pics of it too Doug. Ā Iā€™d love to see the sunk licence plate details and also what taillights were hidden under the bumper.

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi Q….I haven’t been down to have a look yet….probally next week, as there are a few things I need to look at IE; top door garnish molds need a pattern is one!…..I know the trunk lock mech was never finished so M is looking at that!….some talk about rear license plate …it was illegal back then in Cal because of the glass reflection???? so I catch up on that!….I think the tail lights were chevy and tucked under the bumper

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi Ric….Q….Have been down to see the 41 Caddy…..very 41 isht custom didn’t realize ..just some little things I see pretty rough.. but the body work re leading perfect (AAA) Has needed repair work around the lower rear.. some rust..hence new panel patch..to be expected at this age…ButĀ  basically its a very dry and rust fee car…..some of the parts havent arrived…top frame ect…Trunk lid has to be repaired as it has been changed twice to suit registration laws for lic plate…heres a few pics I got todaym_IMG_5032m_IMG_5048

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi .. Q … I forgot to take pics of the trunk lidĀ  …all they have done is cut a square out..same with the inner frameĀ  about 300 x 150……M said he will modify it to suit our lic plate sizeĀ  ..will get a pic when he finish it… really dont know what they have used for trunk hinges….m_IMG_5026

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update on the NorCal Early Custom Caddy Doug…

Mild Mitch
    Participant

I am curious, is this ’41 from Red Bluff, California???

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Its THIS one Mitch.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

I talked with the previous long term owner just a few weeks ago. Great stories from a real character.

Mitch

Doug Charter
    Participant

HiĀ Ā  Have been workin on the Carson top frame again…Have fabricated header panel steel shape and some wood shaping ribs for the centre top which will also help with hanging a head liner later….these will help shape the top where the 1 1/2″ wire mesh sits on the top…the top will be covered with 3/4 flexible foam and the finished white canvas stretched over …….This top isn’t as easy as I thought……takes a lot of thought as each top is finished to different specs an every car….every one I have looked at has been different in construction…m_IMG_5064m_IMG_5065m_IMG_5066m_IMG_5067m_IMG_5068m_IMG_5069

Torchie
    Participant

Getting there!

Keep at it, as the shape of these tops are a make it or break it for a custom.

This Caddy looks to be in the right hands…..:)

Torchie

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 184 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.