Custom Car Chronicle

41 Cadillac Carson Top Custom

Home Forums CCC Forum 41 Cadillac Carson Top Custom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi ….This build will take a long time as it will be built out of several cars to achieve the finished custom…It will have chopped screen 5″ ..Carson top…rear skirts and still most of the factory jewellery…the base car was a 41 Buick super coupe…this car was only half there from the fire wall back…..the firewall was rusted beyond repair..These are the same as a Caddy C type floor platform…all the front including the chassis was missing ,cut off …was found in a creek when cleaning up a country property for sale..parts there… were the doors.. quarter panels both crushed at the back probally from dozer pushing into the creek..seat frames.. roof and a crushed trunk lid….
    The second part and the main structure is a 41 Caddy sedan series 62 striped out ..no engine -gearbox and a lot jewelry missing …I found this in California and had it imported out to Australia…Got a trunk lid from RPM in Albert Lea, Minnesota, buying a 41 Caddy convertible out of my reach….
    I am using the Cad sedan as the base vehicle and mix and mach the other parts to achieve the finish car…I am going to have to make a lot of parts as they just arn’t available or there mega dollars to buy ie: vent windows come to mind
    I have converted it from left steering to RHD did this with parts similar to Nova Chev..disk brakes ect (Holden) and this included sheet metal work on the dash board
    The engine-gearbox is a Cad 425….t400 setup will run straight LPG… have recessed the fire wall as I dont want to shift the radiator forward ..there’s lots to do on this project so I will post as I’m getting along with it ..The Pic is of the Ogden Buick..This is the look I want to achieve when finished Doug

Tony
    Participant

Sounds like a great and BIG project!

I am always curious about the attraction of LPG. I’ve heard all the reasons from many people, but it’s a dry fuel, the tanks are a pain etc. and given the milage these cars do as far as $ saving, I just don’t see the point. (Which is different from saying something is wrong!)

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Gday Doug, I have quite a lot of 46 47 bits. Maybe even some conv vent windows. Though having done the 39 I would suggest buying some Sixty special frames. All steel, no diecast. I’m sure that if your previous work is an indication of what you are capable of then it’ll be a soda. Good stuff.

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi Tony The LPG gas is half the price of petrol here where I live Australia has the most user’s per head in the world…….there are a lot of different type tanks available for different applications …the car in my avatar is LPG only Doug

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi… Q … I have made the quarter vent windows out of brass section ..I will post some pics of them soon…RPM in MI have some 60s frames but there rusty and need repair work and chrome to much work when I can make new one’s for a 1/4 of the price …… Doug

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi…Have changed the dash board from left to right…..pretty easy job about 8 hrs…. just had to brace the back so it wouldn’t twist or go out of shape…Doug

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Very interesting project, and the objective is not bad either, it doesn’t get much better than the Ogden Buick, good luck!

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Can’t wait to see it come along some more. I wish I was just that little bit closer to drop by and help. Looks like you already have a good grasp . I like the idea of blue, but I’d love to see another half dozen shades darker. The blue on the dash isn’t brooding enough. . . .you need indigo violet.
    In the 80s I painted my 57 a Mercedes color called Nautical blue. Dark dark blue but had purple tones when in sun. It was gorgeous, but I learned to never ever to do a metallic on a car that was always driven or a work in progress. . . Or even worse, get your idiot mate to come and help assemble it. He had put a 5 inch gash in the door before it had moved under it’s own power.

I bought a 53 conv chassis off RPM and yes they were really good guys. They went over and above for me.

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi Q The Blue is darker than it looks with the flash reflection..Its a spray chief color Royal Blue…

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi Here are some pics of the start and a little way along will fill in depth as I move along Doug

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Very impressive already.

I love major project like these. Looking forward to the next steps.

Thanks for sharing.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

The Ogden Buick is one of my favorites and I´m looking forward to follow this.

Doug Charter
    Participant

H…Ric..Kenneth….Thanks for the interest in this build……
    This blog is the windscreen wiper setup I have used..The original wiper set up made me shudder with all the pulleys -cables and the chain operated tower….The unit I’m using is a Lucas cable type out of a 70’s Jaguar 2 speed self parking…. they are in a lot of British cars after the second world war …this is a great wiper unit and I have been using this type on hot rods and customs for a zillion years..they are simple and can be mounted just about any where…there are several different types of wheel box’s to mount the wiper blades to ….and different ratio’s for sweep….Pics tell the story..only had to fill the cowl sheet metal to mount the wheel box’s
    This set up required a couple of wheel box’s from Morris Mini….as they only have 22 teeth in the wheel box and makes for a short sweep…the Jag has 45 teeth and the sweep would be to great for the chopped screen…. Getting the blades to wipe and park on the 41 I had to turn the right hand wheel box upside down so it reverses the sweep on that side…as each car has different width’s on the cowl the wheel box distance can be adjusted with cutting the outer tube length where the cable slides back and forth ….wheel box’s…wiper arms…wiper blades…drive cable and any spares are readily available for them….Please as question’s if you want information on what I’m doing….Doug

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi ……. Was a fine day so I pushed the 41 out side and did some work on the top of the windscreen frame…needed to be squared up and trimmed for the top panel…I’m tossing up whether I will use over square toggal clamps or stainless button head bolts to secure the the header bar to the top of the windscreen frame …I doubt whether I would ever lifting the roof off….Doug

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tony
    Participant

Those “Carson” type tops need to be considered as a padded, trimmed roof. You are correct, it will never come off!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 184 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.