4 to 2 door

Home Forums CCC Forum 4 to 2 door

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Tony
    Participant
    mark wojcik
    Participant

If you look at my posts here, I did a step by step doing a 4 door Lincoln sedan, into a 2 door hardtop. While not the esiest task, it’s pretty straight forward.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Mind bending is correct Tony. More filler please…

M

Tony
    Participant

More filler please…

He must use a concrete mixer for the quantities he uses.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Ironically that “workmanship” is probably fairly representative of the time and “traditional”.

Its only the advent of mobile phs and  of step by step , 5 year builds where we worry about perfect gaps, hammer welds and what others will think of our bare metal workmanship.

Back then you could cut it up on Saturday, lead it up or bog it up on Sunday and be back on the road on Monday.

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Just a word of caution from an oldtimer, looking at that sequence:  Don’t braze!  In weather swings over time, brass and steel sheet metal expand and contract at different rates.  Cracks are inevitable. Yes, you can melt brass at a lower temperature than mig wire, or tig welding, so perhaps less initial warpage danger, but for the long-term, best to weld like-with-like.

Tony
    Participant

Ironically that “workmanship” is probably fairly representative of the time and “traditional”. Its only the advent of mobile phs and of step by step , 5 year builds where we worry about perfect gaps, hammer welds and what others will think of our bare metal workmanship. Back then you could cut it up on Saturday, lead it up or bog it up on Sunday and be back on the road on Monday.

That may or may not be the case – there have always been butchers – but this was last week, not 1962.

Guy has no fear of rust …or anything else!

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Bog doesn’t rust!!!

Mild Mitch
    Participant

I have begun to write something here several times. But keep going back to “if you can’t say something nice, don’t say…”

Mitch

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

I think I figured out who worked on my Merc. 🙂

Mild Mitch
    Participant

“I think I figured out who worked on my Merc.”

HAHAHA, Sorry Ian. That’s really sad.

Mitch

bob tindale
    Participant

yep.. this is one extreme and on the other is the restoration of the Tom Hocker 40 Ford. i like being somewhere in the middle. Bet he will have more fun than most.

Torchie
    Participant

I never trash another persons work. We all have different ideas on what’s “Acceptable.”

I prefer to think that any one that tackles this sort of thing is doing the best they know how. And more importantly , learning so the next one they do is better.

I’m sure that there are times that people on this site have looked at my welds and made a comment or two. (hopefully, just to themselves.)

In the words of the immortal Isley Brothers. “It’s your thing. Do what you want to do.”

Peace.

Torchie

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Torchie.
    Ian Gibbons
    Participant

I never trash another persons work. We all have different ideas on what’s “Acceptable.” I prefer to think that any one that tackles this sort of thing is doing the best they know how. And more importantly , learning so the next one they do is better. I’m sure that there are times that people on this site have looked at my welds and made a comment or two. (hopefully, just to themselves.) In the words of the immortal Isley Brothers. “It’s your thing. Do what you want to do.” Peace. Torchie

I agree up until the point that you start charging people for the work which this guy is.

It makes me laugh that so many on that post are saying what great work it is but they would be the same ones ripping someone about the hack job someone had done to the car if they had bought the finished car and torn into it and had discovered what he is showing.

Tony
    Participant

It makes me laugh that so many on that post are saying what great work it is but they would be the same ones ripping someone about the hack job someone had done to the car if they had bought the finished car and torn into it and had discovered what he is showing

Yes, the ‘hey look what I found’ horror threads with pictures of 2″ thick filler are always popular. I’ve never seen a before thread though, until now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.