Custom Car Chronicle

39 Cadillac Sixty Special

Home Forums CCC Forum 39 Cadillac Sixty Special

Viewing 15 posts - 961 through 975 (of 1,002 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Cadillac might not have “invented” the flush fit skirts in 1939-40, but others, like Lincoln sure had. So time wise you are ok with flush fit skirts I think.

Personally I never cared much for the large flush fit skirts. In my eyes it makes the actual fender look way to thin, it does not look good to me compared to the roof and main body shapes, as well as the shapes on the front fenders. The way the skirts look in the last Photoshoped images make the fenders look pefectly balanced, in proportion with the skirst and overall nicely shaped …. At least to me.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Quentin Hall
    Participant

I’m flying to Sydney again in the morning and will be working in a shed beside a Scrape clone.  Then next week I am going to look at a 41 Sixty Special.

I’ll let it all jiggle and wriggle a bit before I do anything more.

Torchie
    Participant

I agree with Rik’s comments on the flush skirts as well Quentin. Perhaps if your car had front wheel skirts as well but even then…….

I think that sometimes builders of newer customs make the car to smooth and you (Or at least I ) tend to lose shape definition and it start to look shapeless. Even at looking at the cars like the Delahye they used trim to break things up a bit.

Always good to let it jiggle and wriggle some…….

Torchie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

Last week I found this photo of a Daimler green Goddess. The more I look at it I believe that it must have influenced the 53 Eldorado parade boot. (The 53 Eldorado influenced me for my 39. )

daimler 1951_de-36_green_goddes_replica-hooper_cussler

PalleJ
    Participant

morning Mate..what an amazing car. pictures like this makes me wanna build another car. stop posting haha,,
    did you ever see the christmas gift from Santa down there

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Yes. I’ve been meaning to email you to thank you mate. Got it last week. I really appreciate it. I’m thinking to twist my dad’s arm to get me going on his 46 Cad soon.

PalleJ
    Participant

thats perfect. just wanna make sure the pieces where allright. good luck on the 46. it is a shame its just sitting

later
    palle

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Well as you all may know the 39 is stalled. I can’t stop thinking about it.

One technical issue is the leading edge of the parade boot might need to be rounded off like the Daimler above rather than coming up square to the door.

I will have difficulties with the soft top flap at this point cos the arc of the parade boot chaffs against the Conv frame already. The other solution is a different hinge mech on the parade boot. Old BMW’s had a forward opening bonnet that might be the solution.

I would prefer to keep the line of the parade boot straight thru as it matches the hood line. . . Losing sleep over it. . . . rps20150224_220255

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Or maybe I just step back the 4inches i need and come down on the same angle as the bpillar ( not a rounded edge. . .)

Tony
    Participant

come down on the same angle as the bpillar

Do this.

Or, maybe you could fab tracks for the hinge to run up vertically before reaching stops then pivoting and it could be operated by liner actuators. ???

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Just had a play with ideas. This redo of the hinge might be all it needs. P1001184

Quentin Hall
    Participant

P1001185Here’s what I mean from BMW. If I do it like that then the mechanism can stay the same. 

Mild Mitch
    Participant

glad to see you posting on your Caddy again.

Mitch

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

So good to see you sort of getting back to the ’39 again…

I like the straight line of the parade booth the way it is right now. As you say, it matched the hood sides, and flows natural from the door, plus makes total sense with either the metal top, soft top, or no top at all.

So I guess a new mechanism will have to do the trick.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Tinwolf
    Participant

I have no idea on the mech but design wise here is my 2cent:

Cut weld grind

Viewing 15 posts - 961 through 975 (of 1,002 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.