Custom Car Chronicle

39 Cadillac Sixty Special

Home Forums CCC Forum 39 Cadillac Sixty Special

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,002 total)
  • Author
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

Here are some more interesting pics I found a while back. It is good to have the cross flow of ideas before I go and decide which final direcion to go. I have more pics of the Bugatti, I think it was a Danish coachbuilder, I have the details somewhere but I’ll have to look up. The styling makes Figoni and Falashi look conservative.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

I’ll try again on the Bugatti. The Cadillac roadster is a custom built car that was not built by Cadillac despite being offered in the 34 catalogue. It took another 60 years before Fran Roxas decided that it should have been built. It recently sold for a million buck$.

Attachments:
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

All the cars/samples you show are very nice Quentin. I really like the looks of them. Especially the Bugatti. That one is looking like a design sketch came alive. Alse the first one (1939 Cadillac Roadster) has fantastic lines.
    Building a more Couchbuild custom today is very rare… I really like your concept, and look forward to more progress on the project.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Still no real progress other than dreaming and planning. and g’day Kurt, Thanks for the dimensions on your two cars. Yes they will be very helpful. I am well aware of the very different flow that I will be trying to achieve on this car as compared to the 40 41 C body styling.
    I am getting closer all the time to locking in the style that the 39 60-s will take but I guess it is only once I start cutting and start letting it “fall into place” I won’t know exactly how it will look.
    I have further complicated the issue by deciding to make it a lift off hardtop with a folding softtop in a covered compartment ala Buick Y job. . . and subsequently discovering that my spare 46 conv roof mech won’t work as I’d like it so I am scouring for a 41 conv mech. I like the idea of the top folding under a metal cover.
    Whether all this comes to fruition remains to be seen . . . but it is still nice to dream.

Attachments:
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

So not a lot of progress other than collecting parts and dreaming. My labour is being spread between several high end labour intensive restorations for others and myself. Subsequently the 39 has been languishing unattended. But I soon hope to get a move on and at least get the body transformation happening.
    I did get a chance the other day to trial the 46 bumpers that I intend to use. When I put on the stock bumper I was disappointed that the car lost that elegance that going bumperless gave. The stock 46 bumper made the front look like a locomotive or snowplow. But then I woke in the middle of the night with the idea to cut off the lower half. So a few cutoff wheels later the new slimline bumper and sectioned overriders was trial fitted and I am very happy with the look.
    I will also section the rear one but the standard 46 rear doesn’t suit sectioning in this way. By luck I have two spare front bumpers. So I will have the same bumper look front and rear.

Attachments:
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

That cut off bottom section of the front bumper is brilliant . It looks really good and much more elegant to suit the body style than the heavy 1946 full unit.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Finally. I have started on the 39 chop. I have 4 spare “me time” days so I am hoping to work like a madman and get the cutting and shutting sorted. So this afternoon I measured the doors and committed to the cut. I am extending the doors 220mm. So what I decided to do was to use the offcuts of the rear door RH and use it on the front door Lh. There is a slight taper issue that will require a piecut later but so far I am very happy. The long door transforms the car so quickly. Can’t wait to do the other doors in the morn and then reposition the b pillar. I have decided to go with Rik’s 3 window coupe/conv proposal.
    Let’s see how I go over the next few days.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

ooooh that is exciting news Quentin. I hope you get a lot done in the next few days… Have fun!

Koolkemp
    Participant

I am really looking forward to following your progress,Riks concept is stunning!

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I am really looking forward to following your progress,Riks concept is stunning!

Thanks Steve… and yes I’m very anxious to see progress on this one as well.

PalleJ
    Participant

damn Quentin…that is good news. and the choice is the best, that version is fantastic!

cant wait to see more
    -palle

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Day two got the door skins welded up and b pillar moved back. Earlier at the start of the morning I stood back and looked at the car all cut up and thought ” lord, what have I done?” . . . But reading the encouragement from Steve Rik and Palle, a strong coffee or two and got back into it. Hope to brace up the roof and reposition the trunk next.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Just saw breaking news about MH 17. Many Dutch and Australian victims. Very sad news.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Looking forward to watching this one progress. Nice work so far. Was the B Pillar really just bolted in? That must have made life a little easier if that was the case.

Tony
    Participant

Excellent work Quentin!

A friend of mine was nearly on that flight, but they got one Amsterdam/Narita (Japan) on Tuesday instead! Close.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,002 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.