Custom Car Chronicle

39 Cadillac Sixty Special

Home Forums CCC Forum 39 Cadillac Sixty Special

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,002 total)
  • Author
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

So I am still churning all the ideas overand over that I want to achieve for my 39. So far I have a stack of photocopies of every styling idea I like. It’s going from a sedan into a hardtop convertible that much I know. I want it to look early 40s Coachbuilt/Custom, more than 1946 Custom, if that makes sense?. Presently it has a 41 engine in it that will stay. I do have a 46 bumper for the rear but I am tempted to make a custom biplane bumper like the 34 Cadillacs.
    So far I have decided to remove the headlights and either hide them behind the front grill or to cut hidden headlights with doors ( ala 36 Cord or Buick Y job) into the front fenders. I really love the no bumper up front look, it gives it a real streamlined European look. I have already remade the side engine covers with no vents to smooth it up further. I will smooth out the old headlight mounting point next.
    I drove past a Hyundai Veloster yesterday and was intrigued by the coupe one side, sedan on the other styling. . . you never know.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

I also extended the sedan trunk lid 300mm which is what I have estimated that the roof will move forward. I think also it will get about a 3 inch chop to get the proprotions right. Luckily I had a 39 conv to compare the trunk line from. Nevertheless the 60 Special is a very different body construction to the conv in that it has very little timber aside from the sills and don’t share many body items if at all. The convs were still using lots of timber. You could say that the 60 Special was the first of the new era cars.

Attachments:
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Very, very, very interesting.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Quentin Hall
    Participant

I think I just fell in love. Aside from a few little minor niggles (like the modern digital airbag pressure display) it is pretty damn close to the mark.

ebay listing

Attachments:
    Stephen Gotz
    Participant

Wow, this should be fun to watch!

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I think I just fell in love. Aside from a few little minor niggles (like the modern digital airbag pressure display) it is pretty damn close to the mark.

I got the link to that ebay 1939 Caddy last night as well. And I was floored when I first saw it.

Later I noticed some elements that I did not care about like the air ride and modern interior. But overall it sure shows that these 1939 Cadillac’s make excellent Custom Cars. And this one in black shows I like it a lot better than the mint green color on John D’Agostino’s version. Now all we need is somebody to do one like how it could have been built in the 1940’s, with all the proper elements.

Posting a few more photos that will still be on the CCC post long after the ebay auction will be gone…

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Very nice, and very rare too. Wonder what the reserve is with +200k invested

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Quentin, I like the old school photoshop rendering on your -39, resembles early Lincoln continental a bit. (Which I happens to like a lot.)

PalleJ
    Participant

Quentin…thats one very cool project! please keep us posted!
    -palle

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Thanks Guys, Yes I am itching to work on it. BUT, my 39 is in Perth at my friend’s workshop. It is my afterhours project when I am working over there. I keep doing the chop over and over in my sleep. I think you could blindfold me now and I would be able to do it.
    The Sixty Special has a quite different flow to the 62 Coupe. It is quite square in the sides. I am not sure that the roof of the Sixty Special would “flow” once chopped like the black coupe. That is why I think that the slightly more formal Continental roofline in my photochop is the one I will go for. . . plus I like it to be different and I haven’t seen one done like this.
    Tomorrow I go in for an operation and have been told NO WORK or LIFTING for 8 to 12 weeks. I think I may go crazy. Rik, if I start posting more than 5 times a day cos I have nothing else to do, I’ll understand if you lock me out. Haha.
    Palle , My mate in Calif keeps asking if your old 47 top is available?
    One day I intend to come over and meet all you guys so look out. The first 4 beers are on me. Take care. Q

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Quentin, I’m not a designer or anything but I think a very conservative chop will look very good and still keep it within what could have been designed in the GM design studio. Seems to be a very rust free and solid car from your pics.

PalleJ
    Participant

Quentin…give your friend my email! adress!: p@llejohansen.dk

its still up for grabs! i am out of the country till the end of next week.
    -Palle

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Found this on my HD, have no idea where I got it or who’s building it but I believe it started life as a -39 60S and I think it is pretty cool.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

G’day Bert,
    and here I was thinking I was the only person in the world to think of this. That is a 39 Sixy Special and great to see it . I’d love to know more about it. That top looks like it is lift off too, and also looks to be aluminium. The thought crossed my mind that to use the original steel top might cause weight problems to lift off and since I am recovering from a double hernia this week, it is worth considering doing it in ally. Even the side vents have been deleted like I have done.
    I’d love to see that “all important side profile”. I can see it taped to the door. I would like to see maybe an inch out of the top height, but maybe not. It still retains that Cadillac Styling Studio look that I am hoping to achieve.
    Looks like it may be a two seater now.
    Thanks so much for posting . Q

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

G’day Quentin,
    I like it a lot myself. It resembles the -38 one off 60S three window coupe Cadillac built quite a bit (at least with the top on and in this view). But it also seems like the builder has picked up some inspiration from the coach builders of the days since the cowl area appears to have been extended. Love that they retained the characteristic three piece rear window in the new top. And of course, I’m also very curious to find out what it looks like in a side view.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,002 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.