Custom Car Chronicle

36 3w kustom build

Home Forums CCC Forum 36 3w kustom build

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 235 total)
  • Author

Great to see you back on this one Kenneth. Some times making it all is easier then modifying something to fit. And the challenge and self pride in doing it is priceless. Torchie.

Thanks Torchie. YouĀ“re totaly right

looks good Kenneth. cant wait to see this one outside. we need to hook up soon. i have to many cold beers haha..

Thanks Palle. Yea we need to fix something up now. I have a friend whoĀ“s interested in a set of Mercury skirts and cold beers sounds really tempting

That looks great Kennethā€¦ well worth the wait.

Thanks Rik.

Looks awesome Kenneth! -Chris

Thanks Chris

At least you will be hunched over in old age hopefully at the same angle by the time you finally finish all this perfectionism.

Hahaā€¦.Or I have sold all this shit and collecting stamps instead.

Iā€™m about ready to do the same! Stamps sound a lot easier than cutting up old cars.

Hehe. Building cars is not easy but I love the challenge even though a nervus breakdown is pretty close sometimes but what doesnĀ“t kills you makes you stronger and I doubt stamp collectors have meatings where you can walk around having a beer and talk shit whit likeminded

Kenneth , you need to leave something and go on , your building a traditional custom icon with your 3w , there is a difference between creating something that could have been built back in the day and a over the top Ridler award contender . A smooth hoodside that can be swapped down the line that could be created later if I could which for something ? !! Wolf

Hi Wolf! I hear you and I have came to the same conclusion but sometimes itĀ“s hard to let it go. Even the hood sides is something I have thinking about and I will make a set of smooth sides and try on . Problem is if it runs hot with the smaller LaSalle grill and no louvers to evacuate the heat. Only time can tell.

KingKustoms
    Participant

Dang, Kenneth….you don’t waste any time cranking out bitchin kustoms with quality work. Nice to see this ’36 coming together so well.

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

Kyle Connole
    Participant

Great to see an update on this car, can’t wait to see more.

Tinwolf
    Participant

OK how about the -37 Cadillac V16 vents in the hood sides for inspiration , that ties the Cadillac theme from the LaSalle grill and onebar hubcaps toghether with the hoodside ?!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Larry Pointer
    Participant

Cool idea to tie styling together, Tinwolf. Ā Those same horizontal vents showed up in General Motors in 1934, with Cadillac, Oldsmobile and Chevrolet. Ā The shorter versions on Chevrolet also continued forward into the 1935 and 1936 models. Ā Should be some Chevy hood sides available. Ā Although, with your skills, Kenneth, you could custom fabricate a set scaled to your hood side panels. Ā There is a certain streamline elegance to those horizontal lines.

Chevy louvers is a thing I have considered and also have looked at 37 Ford pick up hood sides. Got a call from guy who have a set of English 1950 Ford Pilot hood sides and they are not that bad either.

Have worked a bit on the grill surrounding and first I thought it would be best to duplicate the shape of the stock grill and then graft the LaSalle grill in but it was not to my likings. I decided to go another route and mock up the grill in the location I wanted and build the surrounding from there and it was a lot easier.

P1030737P1030705P1030740

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Nice work on the grille surround.Makes that LaSalle grille look perfectly at home on the Ford.

Hood sides… always a hard think to do. I never cared for regular louvres on any Custom Car, they are ok on Hot Rods, but not on Customs for me.
    The 36 Chevy hood sides look perfect, make the hood look longer. Perhaps something similar could be custom made by you.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

PalleJ
    Participant

wauw…it looks good Kenneth.
    i agree on the horisontal openings on the hood will fit the grille much better. and i agree with Rik…its not a hot rod
    i wanna go in my shop an cut up my 48 cluster and see where it takes me haha

James D
    Participant

I love the car.

ItĀ“s just a thought, but i was wondering if you might think about making a smooth line between the hood sides and the line where the wing meets the grille surround? ThereĀ“s kind of a step there at the moment. Now I feel bad for suggesting even more work for you…

I love the car. ItĀ“s just a thought, but i was wondering if you might think about making a smooth line between the hood sides and the line where the wing meets the grille surround? ThereĀ“s kind of a step there at the moment. Now I feel bad for suggesting even more work for youā€¦

I see what you mean James and you donĀ“t need to feel bad. IĀ“m pretty good at find more work my self…hehe. You got things spinning in my head now hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Tinwolf
    Participant

-36 Ford Wally Welch

” making a smooth line between the hood sides and the line where the wing meets the grille surround ? ”

Then the question is where to put the radii on the edge of hood side or the horrible choice of two sharp corners . I think we need to recoin the fraze “what would Jesus do” instead we need “what would George do” as in George Barris ………… šŸ™‚ !!

I thinkĀ the mating between the grill fill and the fender would be left alone , straightening out that line is more “Riddler award” ,Ā  or itĀ would be molded which would make the front end grill , front fenders one pieceĀ . That would also leave the nice radii in the front lower corner of the hood side alone !

Wolf

Torchie
    Participant

Nice call on the grill surround do over Kenneth.

Makes so much better sense to do it this way.

I’m on the fence in regards to louvers. The short style that seemed to pop up on every custom built in the 80’s don’t do anything for me. The longer style ones used on hood sides are more appealing but only sometimes. LOL

I’m sure what ever you come up with will make all the sense in the world.

Torchie

Been thinking and staring on the frontend for a while and think youĀ“re right Wolf. My intention is to build a car that could have been build in th late 40Ā“s or early 50Ā“s and IĀ“m not sure this would have happened back then. A car can be killed with too many details imo.

Have got the other side done aswell and working on the bottom part .

IMG_0086IMG_0085

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Happy with your decision on that Kenneth.
    Some of these ā€“ perhaps “odd” looking ā€“ original Ford details just make it more interesting.
    I sure see JamesD’s point… but I think it would make the feel less vintage if it would have become one smooth flowing line. And for sure not something that was considered to do back in the 1940’s.

Grille surround looks fantastic.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Just to let you know that IĀ“m still alive I post some progress. Not very much but still progress. Got the bottom part of the grill surround done and got the car back on the floor to see how it all looks from different angles and distance. Think IĀ“m quite pleased with it.Now itĀ“s time to do the front part of the hood to make it blend in and flow with the grill.IMG_0436IMG_0441IMG_0440IMG_0442

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 235 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.