Custom Car Chronicle

36 3w kustom build

Home Forums CCC Forum 36 3w kustom build

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 235 total)
  • Author

Been working on this one for a while now and done a lot of rust repair.Most of that is done and the kustomizing begins so I thought I could post some pics of the process here.IĀ“m running a build thread on Hamb about it and I know some of you guys are active there and itĀ“s possible youĀ“ve seen it there allready but since this is a true traditional kustom forum I think it belongs here as well. It will bee a traditonal 40s early 50s Westergard styled car.Have modified the frame to accept a 49` 331″ caddy engine connected to a th 350 and have raised the rear kickup and flattened the crossmember.I know the tranny is not traditional to the era but it was sitting on my shelf and itĀ“s a reliable transmission.Front end is a 4″ dropped axle and there will bee a new spring with reversed eyes.IĀ“m in the progress right now of chopping the roof. Have cut out 3 1/8″ in front and 3 3/4″ on the b-pillars.HereĀ“s some pics of the chop and how it sits right now and I will post more during the progress.

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Maybe its just my phone but I don’t see any photos. Im really liking the sound of this. Especially the cad engine.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

G’day Kenneth,
    I’ve said it before; your metalwork skills are a pleasure to watch and your clear and thoughtful execution and tutorial will no doubt inspire many others. I’m soon to embark on the cut of my 39 Cad so hopefully some of your shared expertise will come in handy.
    Those “Chev orange” coloured rockers thru me until I read that it is indeed a 49 Cad engine. Only colour for a Cad engine is Dark blue !!!!
    Thanks for giving me the tips on TIG usage over on the Hamb.
    Regards. Quentin.

Tony
    Participant

Hey Quentin, when are you going to attack your coupe? Is it in Brisbane or elsewhere?

And really nice job on the 36 coupe. I always find looking at this stuff motivational. The door buttons are a job I will be tackling eventually.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Really great chop on your 36 Kenneth. I really like the shape of the side window opening.
    On 36 Fords that is the key to a great looking chop. Very often the back side of the side window opening ends up taller than at the front giving the chop a hot rodded feel. But not on your car. That really came out nice. Also great way to solve the problem of the character line around the door opening behind the door. I remember seeing some old timers use a lot of led to fill in that area back in the 40s and 50s.

Thanks for posting these here… looking forward to see your progress this winter.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Gā€™day Kenneth,<br>
    Iā€™ve said it before; your metalwork skills are a pleasure to watch and your clear and thoughtful execution and tutorial will no doubt inspire many others. Iā€™m soon to embark on the cut of my 39 Cad so hopefully some of your shared expertise will come in handy.<br>
    Those ā€œChev orangeā€ coloured rockers thru me until I read that it is indeed a 49 Cad engine. Only colour for a Cad engine is Dark blue !!!!<br>
    Thanks for giving me the tips on TIG usage over on the Hamb.<br>
    Regards. Quentin.

Hi Quentin.
    YouĀ“re not the first one beeing fooled by the color.Do not know why they are chevy orange,maybe the previus owner wanted a small block instead but they will be replaced later on.Hope the tips was some kind of usefull for you and IĀ“m looking forward to see your Caddy.

Regards Kenneth.

Really great chop on your 36 Kenneth. I really like the shape of the side window opening.<br>
    On 36 Fords that is the key to a great looking chop. Very often the back side of the side window opening ends up taller than at the front giving the chop a hot rodded feel. But not on your car. That really came out nice. Also great way to solve the problem of the character line around the door opening behind the door. I remember seeing some old timers use a lot of led to fill in that area back in the 40s and 50s.

Thanks for posting these hereā€¦ looking forward to see your progress this winter.

Thanks Rik.

The look of the side window was number one for me on this chop and I thought that if the window gets right the roof will follow automaticly.Studied a lot of other cars (and even e-mailed you a few years ago if you remember and you forwarded me to Enblocks car) just to get it the way I wanted.John St Germaine send me some pics of off how he chopped his 35 and they was really helpfull even though I didnĀ“t go exactly the way he did they gave me a good clue of how to tackle the job.

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Sounds very interesting, but it seems like I have the same issue as JWN, can’t see any pics on my phone or on any of the computers I’ve tested today, both at home and at work and with several different browsers???

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I have hopefully fixed the pics on this thread now.
    Kenneth had posted the photos from his HAMB account. And apparently this set up does not work for everybody.
    I have not linked the images from the Custom Car Photo Archive Fotki site.
    Let me know if they work now.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Excellent, thanks Rik. And your Ford looks amazing Kenneth, I’m really looking forward to follow the progress on this one.

Aaah. My bad. Will try use fotki instead.

PalleJ
    Participant

Kenneth I told you before..you have some mad skills! you made that chop look easy! and thats absolutely not the case..
    great build!
    -palle
    ps: where you located!? look like the south with all those brickwall houses!

Kenneth I told you before..you have some mad skills! you made that chop look easy! and thats absolutely not the case..<br>
    great build!<br>
    -palle<br>
    ps: where you located!? look like the south with all those brickwall houses!

Hi Palle. Thanks for the feedback.IĀ“m located in HƶganƤs,20km north of Helsingborg so you are right about the south.

PalleJ
    Participant

Are you married to Jan-Olof Ɩdahl haha…as i remember he lives in HƶganƤs too
    i better come over one day!
    -palle

Not married yet Palle but heĀ“s a good friend.If you are in the neighborhood youĀ“re very wellcome.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 235 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.